Import DWG to SketchUP 2019 problem

Found a bug in SketchUp? Report it here

Import DWG to SketchUP 2019 problem

Postby JGA » Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:48 pm

We import a lot of 2D plans elevations etc. from AutoCAD into SketchUP.
I was pleased to hear of improvements to the import engine in the 2019 version, but I'm not finding it as reliable as SketchUP 2017.
I tried exporting various versions of DWG with varying results - the example used ended up being release 14/LT97.

The first example is into SKUP 2019 - note the dashed lines in AutoCAD do come into SketchUP.
Whole areas of the drawing are missing.
2019 import.png

Importing the same DWG file into SKUP 2017 is much better.
2017 import.png

AutoCAD screenshot attached for reference.
ACAD.png
Regards,
JGA

JGA 

Re: Import DWG to SketchUP 2019 problem

Postby TCito » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:15 pm

Hi JGA, would you mind if I took a look at the file you are trying to import?

You can email me trent@sketchup.com

Thanks

TCito 

Postby TCito » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:38 pm

Hi JGA, for SketchUp 2019, we inherit the visibility state in Acad when the file is saved. So layers that are Off or Frozen in Acad will come into SketchUp with the visibility Off.

Please let me know if that is what you are seeing.

Trent

TCito 

Postby Pixero » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:37 am

I have a question about how to correctly export DWG with materials from Revit to SketchUp.
My tries have only got parts of the model with materials and no textures are exported.
I havent found any info about the correct procedure, only that it now is possible.
Pixero 

Postby JGA » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:01 am

Trent,
Thanks for your interest in this post.
TCito wrote:would you mind if I took a look at the file you are trying to import?

Done.

TCito wrote:for SketchUp 2019, we inherit the visibility state in Acad when the file is saved

It doesn't appear related to layers, as some lines are imported, others ignored.
Dynamic blocks do appear to be imported now into SKUP 2019 though, so that is an advantage of the new version.
Regards,
JGA

JGA 

Postby TCito » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:13 pm

Hi JGA, as discussed in an email I found that it appears to be related to how the blocks are defined in this case causing issues on the import. In particular, there is a rotation applied to the blocks (14.3) in most cases.

I have opened an issue internally to look at this.

A workaround for this (though not ideal) would be in Acad explode all blocks and make a block out of everything, then it will import correctly. Not sure why but that made it work.

If you want to preserve blocks I have also found that if I rotate everything from the origin, so that it is parallel to the UCS, then select all blocks and reset the rotation on them to 0, select everything and put it in a block. I do notice that any block that was mirrored (toilets for example) will need to be flipped correctly in cad as well.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention

Trent

TCito 

Postby JGA » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:14 am

Trent,
Thanks for your help.
I rotated the UCS from true north to square the building up to the titlesheet.
Subsequent new blocks made would have started from the new UCS.
Regards,
JGA

JGA 

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago

Ad Machine 
Robot

Return to SketchUp Bug Reporting