Fredo plug-ins not working

Found a bug in SketchUp? Report it here

Fredo plug-ins not working

Postby bub242 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:39 pm

I have tried uninstalling 2017 SketchUp make, I tried using version 8.1 fredolib library and also the new 8.7 version. Still no luck with anything helping the problem. I can download and install all Fredo plugins but when I click on them to use them in my tools nothing happens. If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated.

bub242 

Re: Fredo plug-ins not working

Postby TIG » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:48 pm

I assume you are installing the various extensions from downloaded RBZ files, using the native Extension Manager installer ?

You should always install the very latest Fredo Lib.
After you install any of Frdeo's other tools you should restart SketchUp to ensure everything gets properly synced.

Do you see them in the menu items ?

Open the Ruby Console.
When you try to run a tool are there any error messages in it ?

When you installed SketchUp did you do it properly ?
Whilst logged into Windows as your usual user, ensure SketchUp is closed.
Find SketchUp's installer's exe file - probably in your Downloads folder ?
Select its icon, right-click > context-menu > "Run as administrator"
When prompted choose "Repair"
After it completes restart SketchUp to see if anything improves...

Installing any complex app in any other way will cause unpredictable issues...
So, never double-click such an exe to 'Run' - even if you have admin-powers it's not the same thing !
TIG
TIG 
Global Moderator

Postby bub242 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:17 pm

Yes I am using the extension manage to install the plugins. I’m getting the .rbz files from skechucation. I tried the repair SketchUp option with no luck. I’m not sure how to run tools with the ruby console. When I open the ruby console from the ‘window’ drop down menu in SketchUp it just brings up a prompt box to type in.

bub242 

Postby TIG » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:26 pm

The Ruby Console also reports errors.
So leave it open and try the problem tools...
Anything printed into the Console ?
If so, then copy/paste it into a new post...
TIG
TIG 
Global Moderator

Postby bub242 » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:30 pm

Below is what pops up in ruby console when I click on one of the fredo tools. All Fredo tools seem to be installed properly along with the fredo library.

2017/sketchup/plugins/fredo6_!libfredo6/lib6plugin.rbe:1253:in `block (2 levels) in build_config_commands'
c:/users/shado/appdata/roaming/sketchup/sketchup 2017/sketchup/plugins/fredo6_!libfredo6/lib6traductor.rbe:1361:in `call'
c:/users/shado/appdata/roaming/sketchup/sketchup 2017/sketchup/plugins/fredo6_!libfredo6/lib6traductor.rbe:1361:in `block in add_command'
SketchUp:1:in `call'

bub242 

Postby TIG » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:51 pm

Did you install SketchUp v2017 properly ?
It's covered a few posts ago: viewtopic.php?p=644871#p644871

After doing the 'Repair' start SketchUp and it problems continue report any error messages, in full [you only gave partial messages last time !]...
TIG
TIG 
Global Moderator

Postby bub242 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:27 pm

OK I ran as administrator then ran the repair but it didn't solve my problems. I will post below the full error message from the ruby console... sorry i missed that in my last post.

bub242 

Postby bub242 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:29 pm

Here is the full error report:

Error: #<Errno::EACCES: Permission denied @ rb_sysopen - C:/Users/shado/AppData/Local/LIBFREDO6_DATA_Dir/LibFredo6_all_defaults.dat>
c:/users/shado/appdata/roaming/sketchup/sketchup 2017/sketchup/plugins/fredo6_!libfredo6/lib6registry.rbe:154:in `initialize'
c:/users/shado/appdata/roaming/sketchup/sketchup 2017/sketchup/plugins/fredo6_!libfredo6/lib6registry.rbe:154:in `open'
c:/users/shado/appdata/roaming/sketchup/sketchup 2017/sketchup/plugins/fredo6_!libfredo6/lib6registry.rbe:154:in `write_to_file'
c:/users/shado/appdata/roaming/sketchup/sketchup 2017/sketchup/plugins/fredo6_!libfredo6/lib6registry.rbe:137:in `store'
c:/users/shado/appdata/roaming/sketchup/sketchup 2017/sketchup/plugins/fredo6_!libfredo6/lib6plugin.rbe:1282:in `usage_use'
c:/users/shado/appdata/roaming/sketchup/sketchup 2017/sketchup/plugins/fredo6_!libfredo6/lib6plugin.rbe:1270:in `command_invoke'
c:/users/shado/appdata/roaming/sketchup/sketchup 2017/sketchup/plugins/fredo6_!libfredo6/lib6plugin.rbe:1253:in `block (2 levels) in build_config_commands'
c:/users/shado/appdata/roaming/sketchup/sketchup 2017/sketchup/plugins/fredo6_!libfredo6/lib6traductor.rbe:1361:in `call'
c:/users/shado/appdata/roaming/sketchup/sketchup 2017/sketchup/plugins/fredo6_!libfredo6/lib6traductor.rbe:1361:in `block in add_command'
SketchUp:1:in `call'

bub242 

Postby TIG » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:10 am

The error probably arises because you did not initially install SketchUp by using "Run as administrator".
Then when you installed Fredo's extensions a folder/file got made with bad permissions.
The issues from an incorrect installation are unpredictable, and often revolve around folder/file permissions...
The subsequent Repair [that I assume you have done by rerunning the installer properly] hasn't affected that particular folder/file's permissions, as it lies outside of SketchUp's 'repairing' remit.

But try this...

• Close SketchUp.
  • Find the folder - mentioned in the error message:
    C:/Users/shado/AppData/Local
  • Note that AppData folder paths are 'hidden' by default, so you either need to change your Folder Options to shown hidden content, or paste the copied path into a Windows Explorer window's top file-path bar...
  • Find the subfolder within it...
    C:/Users/shado/AppData/Local/LIBFREDO6_DATA_Dir
  • Select and Delete that subfolder.
  • Any contents will also be removed.
  • Now restart SketchUp.
  • When you next use a Fredo tool that subfolder and the LibFredo6_all_defaults.dat file inside it etc will be remade - hopefully this time with good permissions...
See if that helps...
TIG
TIG 
Global Moderator

Postby dermotcoll » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:59 pm

TIG

I just had the same problem today and your advice worked perfectly. Thank you sir!!

Dermot
When you burn your arse - you gotta sit on the blisters!!
dermotcoll 
Premium Member
Premium Member

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago

Ad Machine 
Robot

Return to SketchUp Bug Reporting