Simplify Tool

Got an idea to improve SketchUp?

Simplify Tool

Postby plot-paris » Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:33 pm

I am currently sitting on a model (that someone else has done ;) ) and looking for non continuous lines. after cleaning up a model I always feel better. however, why should one do tedious work, if SketchUp could it do for you in just a second?

it would be really handy, if you could right klick on selected geometry and choose a "simplify" command, rather like "soften/smooth edges", to ged rid of all unnecessary edge.

here you should be able to check a mark on "simplify edges" as well as "delete unnecessary lines"

simplify.jpg

I think that could be another additional tool to make SketchUp even more powerful.
plot-paris 

Re: Simplify Tool

Postby remus » Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:54 pm

There are quite a few CAD miport clean up scripts available here: http://www.smustard.com/scripts/

Not sure i there are any that do what you want though, perhaps make a ruby request?

remus 

Postby JClements » Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:09 pm

I agree, Plot.

There are scripts that can do things like this, but to me it seems it should be incorporated into the basic code ... just like purging layers, components, and materials are.
John | Illustrator | Beaverton, Oregon
JClements 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby alz » Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:58 pm

Don't progs like Max and Maya do this?

I agree, SketchUp should have a basic "reduce polys/edges/lines, based on angle"

In the above example, set the angle to 0 (zero) and any superfluous items will get nuked.

alz 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby a4chitect » Fri May 02, 2008 10:32 pm

this part is taken (after a little modification) directly from the script Skin by Darrel Belvin so all credit is his (hope he doesn't mind me posting this)

cleanup.rb

warning: please save your model prior to running this

Script explanation:
the loop goes through all selected geometry, check if the current entity is an edge, and if yes it erases this edge in 2 cases
1. it is an edge belonging to 2 faces at the same time, their normals are parallel (faces are coplanar) and their front color is the same
2. it is an edge which doesn't form any faces

a4chitect 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby Stinkie » Sat May 03, 2008 8:12 am

Thanks. This looks quite handy.
Stinkie 

Postby remus » Sat May 03, 2008 9:55 am

Cheers, this is going to be another brilliant tool to add to the CAD cleanup collection.

remus 

Postby juju » Sat May 03, 2008 1:59 pm

Shouldn't this be in a new thread in ruby section?
Please lend your support in this thread on the SketchUp forum to resolve problems with Extension Warehouse. This being ignored is not an option.
juju 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby remus » Sat May 03, 2008 2:06 pm

Good point, heres the link: viewtopic.php?f=180&t=9429

remus 

Postby sags » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:00 am

thank you very much for sharing.. :thumb:

sags 

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts