SU8 - WISHLIST

Got an idea to improve SketchUp?

Re: SU8 - WISHLIST

Postby utiler » Mon May 25, 2009 11:48 pm

Agree Csaba, It hasn't been long since V7.0 so I wouldn't think it will be anytime soon....
purpose/expression/purpose/....
utiler 
Top SketchUcator

Postby mpowell1234567890 » Tue May 26, 2009 5:06 am

Gaieus wrote:
mpowell1234567890 wrote:Any news of when Sketchup 8 is coming? I'm very excited about it. :sketchstatic:

Michael, you were very excited before SU 7 came out (not too long ago actually). ;)

I doubt however (and it's a personal "guess") that SU 8 will come out this year so I think we can all relax a little bit and take our time to make good wishes.

Cool. :sketchstatic:

mpowell1234567890 

Postby Jaycephus » Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:03 am

How about a 7.1 release before the end of the year that fixes all the obvious bugs?

I just read this thread and I have to say that I agree with DacaD and kwistenbiebel the most.

But I also believe that the Warehouse should be massaged into something more like 3DContentCentral for SolidWorks, which isn't about advertising... It's about Design, and not wasting Time redrawing the wheel. 3DContentCentral has user contributions as well as corporate models, but it is all there for making the designer's job easier and faster, not for generating advertising revenue for SolidWorks' parent company.

Much of this thread tried to address the profitability of SU, and seemed to be mixing up the for-free product model metaphor with the standard for-profit product model. BUT I'M PAYING GOOD MONEY FOR SKETCHUP! For all the money I've paid, I expect it to handle AT LEAST as many polys or entities as $180 subdivision modelers. How about ZBrush? For the same money as Sketchup it uses multicore processing to great effect, realtime shadows, a full 4GB of RAM even though it isn't 64-bit yet, and easily handles well over ten-million polys without sweating, billions with some craftiness. Can SU even load and function with a model that requires 100 measly MB of RAM? In ZBrush (poly with subdivision smoothing and realtime self-shadowing) or Solidworks (b-spline with poly realtime rendering, including shadows and other shader effects such as ambient occlusion), I can basically have models so complex that all available RAM is used up, but the programs are still responsive!

If Google is expecting people to pay $500 to $800 for SU, then they need to make something that provides increases in productivity, plain and simple. That's how to be profitable! That's why I got SU Pro 5 in the first place. Solidworks '07 was SLOW to do factory automation layouts, but as Solidworks has increased their UI interaction speed, workflow speed, and operations speed, and 3DContentCentral has grown into something Google Warehouse wishes to be SOME day, the benefits of SU are slipping away. Yeah SU's still cheaper. Is it still faster? For some limited things, maybe, but its debatable. If I try to add Warehouse or converted CAD models, SU quickly becomes a narcoleptic turtle on morphine. But expectations are increasing. Blocky, flat-shaded models aren't acceptable anymore. Simple shadows are old-school, and it's becoming increasingly hard to claim they're 'real-time' shadows anymore.

I noticed that Google turned the once-very-nice SketchUp website into what amounts to just another Google Beta Software page. Since Google themselves have obviously confused THEMSELVES on whether SU is being developed under a free-product model or a for-profit model, and they may in fact view it as a "blurry object on the horizon", maybe I should just hook me up a morphine drip and learn to live at SketchUp speed.
-------
- Jay

Jaycephus 

Postby mpowell1234567890 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:03 am

Cool, Sounds great. I like the idea. :ecstatic: :thumb:
I cannot afford $500 to $800 for the Pro Version though - takes too long to accomplish that..
However, I do wish that the free version has what the pro version have in the program...

mpowell1234567890 

Postby mpowell1234567890 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:43 am

I have several things to add to Sketchup 8 free wish list:
1. Creating 3D Games in Sketchup.
2. In "Make unique texture" command - A way to fix the smear in the image.
3. More 3D Cad functions.
4. Wall Tool "Like what other 3D Designing programs have".

mpowell1234567890 

Postby Pixero » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:38 am

I'm hoping to see a working fbx import and export.
Pixero 

Postby mpowell1234567890 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:23 am

Pixero wrote:I'm hoping to see a working fbx import and export.

Cool, that would be great in the free version of Sketchup 8 along with 3D Max functions.

mpowell1234567890 

Postby kwistenbiebel » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:18 pm

My wish:

A rewritten solid Sketchup core, adapted to nowadays technology and conceived as an open source platform.

Plugins could still be commercial. Google can decide to make their own plugins or let 3td parties develop them.
Those could be called 'apps' and sold in an I-tunes kind of web system. (game development apps, modeling apps, rendering apps,3D physics simulation,3D scientific apps,3D medical apps, etc..etc...)

Google is doing it with Android and chrome OS, so why not an open 3D platform?
Hasn't been tried before....might work!

Besides the commercial plugins, maybe even some obscure ones? I can imagine someone fixing the carmack shadow bug as an underground project :)

This all might be the best solution for Sketchup to have a future.
Let's face it: Sketchup as a tool for Google Earth won't make it. Nowadays there is better technology (ask Thomthom) to get a 3D world built than doing it manually. Besides, it would take a 1000 years to get the world populated with 3D manually.

And I don't see Google engaging a market they don't know anything about, which is the CG, graphical and architectural world.
Producing SU as a solid open source 3D platform might prove to be a viable option and could open '3D' up in ways google didn't even think of.

Time for Google to take a chance and innovate.

kwistenbiebel 

idea for a SUPER Sketchup...

Postby dacad » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:06 pm

this is probably a very stupid idea but what if we (pro users) do it but the easiest way? and what i mean is just make a "skin" for blender that give us the tools the exact the same way sketchup give us (easy to use and understand, just the indispensable, and most probably working better and with more features...). This would have 3 big advantages: a very good and all the time updated core engine; more advanced features to use if needed, and completely free and open source and better sketchup :D. the hardest part would be having to simulate the inference engine probably no?

so has i said: either these is incredibly stupid or an incredible cool idea...what do you think?

P.S.: Sorry for hijacking this thread, maybe this should be talked in another topic, if you guys think these is even worth discussing...

dacad 

Re: idea for a SUPER Sketchup...

Postby kwistenbiebel » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:32 pm

DacaD wrote:What I mean is just make a "skin" for blender that give us the tools the exact the same way sketchup give us (easy to use and understand, just the indispensable, and most probably working better and with more features...).... either these is incredibly stupid or an incredible cool idea...what do you think?

Excellent idea :thumb: :thumb:. No really!
Would be bloody awesome!
Someone should launch the idea at the Blender forums.

(I can even see a 'Sketchup skin' for 3dsMax, Cinema 4D, Modo, etc....)

The best Sketchup idea I heard in years. Thanks for that Dacad.

kwistenbiebel 

Postby mpowell1234567890 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:22 pm

kwistenbiebel wrote:My wish:

A rewritten solid Sketchup core, adapted to nowadays technology and conceived as an open source platform.

Plugins could still be commercial. Google can decide to make their own plugins or let 3td parties develop them.
Those could be called 'apps' and sold in an I-tunes kind of web system. (game development apps, modeling apps, rendering apps,3D physics simulation,3D scientific apps,3D medical apps, etc..etc...)

Google is doing it with Android and chrome OS, so why not an open 3D platform?
Hasn't been tried before....might work!

Besides the commercial plugins, maybe even some obscure ones? I can imagine someone fixing the carmack shadow bug as an underground project :)

This all might be the best solution for Sketchup to have a future.
Let's face it: Sketchup as a tool for Google Earth won't make it. Nowadays there is better technology (ask Thomthom) to get a 3D world built than doing it manually. Besides, it would take a 1000 years to get the world populated with 3D manually.

And I don't see Google engaging a market they don't know anything about, which is the CG, graphical and architectural world.
Producing SU as a solid open source 3D platform might prove to be a viable option and could open '3D' up in ways google didn't even think of.

Time for Google to take a chance and innovate.

That would be cool, especially they can fix the clipping bug in large models that are more then 6000' in diameter.

mpowell1234567890 

Postby remus » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:49 pm

mpowell1234567890 wrote:That would be cool, especially they can fix the clipping bug in large models that are more then 6000' in diameter.

Thats an openGL thing, if i remember correctly, so could be tricky to fix.

remus 

Postby dacad » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:44 pm

thanks for the suport kwist :)
we're 2 now anyone else think it's worth it? we can't be the only ones...
Going to the blender foruns and ask for suport, some help or at least directions and tips could get more responses if we had more suporters...

dacad 

Postby Coronel » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:08 am

- Third party plug-in manager and new guidelines for developers where you can activate, verify version compatibility, show flash demo and developer info if available. Nomenclature or folder system for plug-ins to group them in your plugins folder to facilitate uninstallation when needed.

- Parametric textures mapping

- More primitives

- Better 2D drawing tools and line editing

- Nurbs surfaces

- Specific light objects management

- Basic modular functions system for non programmers to add basic dynamics to objects, similar to some multimedia applications. I mean flowchart based similar to Macromedia/Adobe Authorware. Third party developers can extend this modular library.

Coronel 

Postby mpowell1234567890 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:14 am

remus wrote:
mpowell1234567890 wrote:That would be cool, especially they can fix the clipping bug in large models that are more then 6000' in diameter.

Thats an openGL thing, if i remember correctly, so could be tricky to fix.

Is there a way to find updates for OpenGl? I looked everywhere on the net but cannot find it..

mpowell1234567890 

Postby remus » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:48 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenGL

You can update your graphics drivers, but it wont fix the large model clipping thing.

remus 

Postby Pixero » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:25 am

I have aired the idea before to make a community "OpenUp" opensource SketchUp replica and more. :ecstatic:
The reason would be that Google probably never will release a opensource version of SU.
As litte as they seem to be interested in making it a modern app.
Making SU skins for other appz in a great idea but that would make all great rubys non functional. :(
Pixero 

Postby kwistenbiebel » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:02 pm

Pixero wrote:...
Making SU skins for other appz in a great idea but that would make all great rubys non functional. :(

But it is a great backup plan isn't it? :)...In case our Googies don't make it happen...

kwistenbiebel 

Postby EDMON242004 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:02 pm

My SU wishlist:
1. Multiple view window (front, rear, perspective views all open at once)
2. Ability to select vertices
3. Ability to use Onix tree storm as plugin
4. Ability to handle onix trees without crushing

is it to much to ask? i think yes....

EDMON242004 

Postby Dragon029 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:06 am

My wishlist:
1. Import functions, I'd like to import .vrml's, etc.
2. Multi-core support.
3. Plug-in window? (similar to the 3D Warehouse window but shows popular plug-ins, etc)
4. Orthographic view

Dragon029 

Postby Wacov » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:09 pm

I'd like a full-screen viewing mode, and a few more rendering options (i.e. shader settings for materials). And yeah, selecting vertices would be useful :thumb:

Wacov 

Postby plot-paris » Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:57 am

Wacov wrote:And yeah, selecting vertices would be useful :thumb:

I think it would be fantastic to have both - the current selection mode (where you can select all geometry) and specific selection modes, which let you highlight faces, edges or vertexes only.
plot-paris 

Postby mpowell1234567890 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:28 am

Wacov wrote:I'd like a full-screen viewing mode, and a few more rendering options (i.e. shader settings for materials). And yeah, selecting vertices would be useful :thumb:

Cool, I like the idea "For the free version especially".

mpowell1234567890 

Postby mpowell1234567890 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:39 pm

Any more news about Sketchup 8? Haven't been seeing new post's lately..

mpowell1234567890 

Postby remus » Tue Sep 15, 2009 8:02 pm

Nope, its been as quiet as ever.

remus 

Postby mpowell1234567890 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:20 pm

remus wrote:Nope, its been as quiet as ever.

Cool, must be a surprise awaiting to come. I like surprises. :berserk:

mpowell1234567890 

Postby jonnygreen » Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:27 am

Here's my wishlist:

Curved text tool

Artificial lighting (lighting components give off light) - I know that's a big ask

Fix the (still existing) bug that doesn't allow exporting animations at 16:9, only 4:3 which is terrible!

Fix the buggy .dwg importer

Better search in the Component Browser (local, not internet)

Better general performance overall

jonnygreen 

Postby Aerilius » Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:34 pm

Dragon029 wrote:3. Plug-in window? (similar to the 3D Warehouse window but shows popular plug-ins, etc)

SketchUp App Store (?)
A centrally organized repository (like it is standard in linux) of plugins with easy install and update.
- search plugins
- try out plugins
- and eventually uninstall
It is sometimes frustrating to test new plugins when I have already many installed. Unzip, copy files into plugin folder, close SketchUp, restart SketchUp, search the plugins in the menus. Especially for uninstalling I have to search which files belong to which plugin because the file names often don't correspond to the names in the menu.

Aerilius 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby Wacov » Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:47 pm

An option to re-load plugins without restarting SketchUp would save a little time.

Wacov 

Postby tfdesign » Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:55 pm

My wish-list would be as follows;

1. Better management of layers!

When a group or component is highlighted, the layer it's on really should highlight in the layers window. How many times do I start a new group on the wrong layer? Also iron out the bug (is it a bug or just me?) that prevents some entities not moving to the new selected layers, even though they have been selected to do so!

2. A proper chamfer/ fillet tool (with a push/pull style controller- ala SpaceClaim), rather than that goddamn awful ruby script, which always goes the opposite direction to what you want it to!! :evil:

3. New Ruby scripts to be dropped into Ruby Console window, and SU places them automatically (rather than tearing one's hair out trying to figure out why they don't work).

4. SketchUp for Linux (so the next computer I buy, is a (cheaper than a new Mac), PC, running a free operating system!)

I'd be happy just for these for now :)
My book "Let's SketchUp!" Download from here

tfdesign 
Top SketchUcator

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago

Ad Machine 
Robot

PreviousNext

Return to SketchUp Feature Requests