[Q] Scaling an Imported Image

Got an idea to improve SketchUp?

[Q] Scaling an Imported Image

Postby Bob James » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:42 pm

For many years when I've imported an image and needed to change its scale to make the length of a line on the image to a specific length, I added a line on the image to a desired length, grouped the line with the image, edited the group by tracing the added line with the Tape Measure Tool, entered the length I wanted it to be, hit return and a dialog box would pop up asking if I wanted to change the scale of the whole image. If I selected "Yes", then the whole image would be scaled to make the length the specified amount and, therefore, all the rest of the dimensions would also be correct.

I had an occasion to do that yesterday and that process doesn't work anymore.

Can anyone tell me how I can do it with SU2017?
i7-4930K 3.4Ghz, 2x GTX780 6GB, 32GB DDR3-1600 ECC, OCZ Vertex 4 500GB, WD Black 3TB, 32TB NAS, 4x 27" Monitors, SpaceMouse Pro, X-keys XK-60
Bob James 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: [Q] Scaling an Imported Image

Postby Pixero » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:19 am

Pixero 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Box » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:26 am

They changed the default of the tape tool in 2017, tap ctrl to toggle the guide on or off to get the action you want.
Box 

Postby Bob James » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:58 pm

Box wrote:They changed the default of the tape tool in 2017, tap ctrl to toggle the guide on or off to get the action you want.

MANY thanks, Box :thumb: It's hard to figure the logic behind that change :!:

Pixero: I'll take a look at the Rubysketch Scale Tool, but it will be hard to break a very old habit. :fro:
i7-4930K 3.4Ghz, 2x GTX780 6GB, 32GB DDR3-1600 ECC, OCZ Vertex 4 500GB, WD Black 3TB, 32TB NAS, 4x 27" Monitors, SpaceMouse Pro, X-keys XK-60
Bob James 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Pixero » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:43 pm

The great thing is that you can scale a selected object or image without rescaling the entire SU scene.
Pixero 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Box » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:58 pm

The Tape will resize within a group or component without affecting the rest of the model.
Box 

Postby Bob James » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:08 am

Pixero wrote:The great thing is that you can scale a selected object or image without rescaling the entire SU scene.

That was true before the change to having to use ctrl. I have often built up a scene by building part of it and then bringing in a photo containing a dimensioned line drawing then scaling it to "real" size: the rest of the models in the scene were not affected by the rescaling of the picture.
Bob James 
Premium Member
Premium Member

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago

Ad Machine 
Robot

Return to SketchUp Feature Requests