[Plugin] Recursive Explode

[Plugin] Recursive Explode

Postby monkeybanjo » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:43 am

Description
A simple plugin, that takes the current selection and recursively explodes all the groups so you're just left with edges and faces.

Installation
Standard .rbz installation procedure http://support.google.com/sketchup/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=38583

How to Use
Simply select something, and then choose the Tools > Explode Recursively menu option.

Cheers,
Dave
Last edited by monkeybanjo on Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
monkeybanjo 

Re: [Plugin] Recursive Explode

Postby thomthom » Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:53 pm

If you make use of the second argument in model.explode - setting it to true - things normally run faster as the SU UI isn't updated until you commit again.

Also, if you rename the ZIP to RBZ then people can use the Install Extension feature in SU - leaving for less mistakes, which often happens.
Thomas Thomassen — SketchUp Monkey & Coding addict
List of my plugins and link to the CookieWare fund
thomthom 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby monkeybanjo » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:24 pm

Thx for the advice Thom :-)

I renamed the file as you suggested. I didn't actually realize that you can install extension like that, so glad to have learned something new.

About the other tip with the explode arguments - the arguments don't seem to be documented in the Sketchup Ruby API docs. Is there somewhere I can see more complete documentation?
monkeybanjo 

Postby thomthom » Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:35 pm

It's the Model.start_operation method that has the argument - it's the second disable_ui argument: http://www.sketchup.com/intl/en/develop ... _operation

But yea, the API docs are very lacking. Some times it uses really base examples, such as .typename which is a horribly slow way to check entity type.

I've tried to write up things as I come across them and post them on my blog. For instance, I encourage new developers to take a look at this article: http://www.thomthom.net/thoughts/2012/0 ... velopment/
Thomas Thomassen — SketchUp Monkey & Coding addict
List of my plugins and link to the CookieWare fund
thomthom 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby monkeybanjo » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:41 pm

Thanks again Thom - I made that change :-) Nice to have such helpful people on the forum.

Although now that i've read your blog it seem like I have some more changes to make :-)
monkeybanjo 

Postby erkan » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:01 pm

Hey thanks for making this script and sharing. It looks like it goes deeper than the bomb script.

I have experienced a number of "Your recent operation has caused visible geometry to merge with existing geometry on a hidden layer" notifications while the script is running. It requires a bit maintenance to wait in the large and nested models and OK the message box. I thought you might consider handling this in the future versions.

cheers,
erkan
erkan 

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago

Ad Machine 
Robot

Return to Plugins