[Plugin] TopoShaper - v2.5c - 29 Oct 19 - IsoContour & Cloud

Re: [Plugin] TopoShaper - v2.5b - 11 Apr 19 - IsoContour & C

Postby mozzie » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:32 pm

Thanks Fredo.
All working now.
Not sure what the problem was, but the Sketchucation Uninstall process did not fix it.
I had to completely remove LibFredo and Toposhaper including all directories from the Plugin Folder and reinstall using the Sketchucation Installer. I tried the Preferences installer first, but that was not successful.

I dearly love Toposhaper!
Moz

mozzie 

Postby fredo6 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:01 pm

mozzie wrote:I had to completely remove LibFredo and Toposhaper including all directories from the Plugin Folder and reinstall using the Sketchucation Installer.

Glad it works. For a strange reason, you had a mix of old and new files in LibFredo6. Maybe this is the installation in SU8. Always make sure you overwrite the files.
fredo6 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby Grey24601 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:25 pm

Hi I love this tool but am doing something wrong here? When I run Toposhaper on my contours it expands the countours beyond the shape of the area? Is there a way to switch this off so it stops at the boundary footprint? I want to compare to identical shapes in terms of footprint. This is the first one. They both have identical footprints but different contours.

Does anybody have any documentation on what the parameters and options on the Selection screen do such as Limit prolongation on edge crossing??

Thanks

Grey24601 

Postby fredo6 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:58 pm

Currently TopoShaper IsoContours compute the hull based on contours. In this version, there is no way to specify a particular hull.

I notice also an area where you are going to have problems with the calculation of the terrain, because you have contours crossing each other. I suggest you clean up this area before using TopoShaper.

Grey24601 - contour issues.png
fredo6 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby Grey24601 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:50 pm

Hi Fredo Thanks for the response. I cleaned it up and it still makes no difference.

For my own education what do the options on the Selection panel do? Such as Limit prolongation on edge crossings?

Grey24601 

Postby fredo6 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:29 am

Grey24601 wrote:For my own education what do the options on the Selection panel do? Such as Limit prolongation on edge crossings?

A said, there is no way to address your problem in the current version. The terrain hull is computed automatically and cannot be specified.
fredo6 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby josefen » Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:13 am

I'm stresstesting Toposhaper:Cloud as i type.

I've imported 57 816 points with z-values from a dwg file.

Any predition - will it work with this amout of points?

josefen 

Postby fredo6 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:18 pm

josefen wrote:I'm stresstesting Toposhaper:Cloud as i type.

I've imported 57 816 points with z-values from a dwg file.

Any predition - will it work with this amout of points?

Not sure, but you'll have time for more than a coffee...!
I suggest that you first start on a subset of points. Be aware that if you have a dense mesh of points, you may have some spikes in the terrain, because the surface goes through ALL points.

Anyway, once you have constructed the terrain as a triangular mesh, you can generate the iso contours, and then use the TopoShaper QuadMesh to make it smoother and more regular.

Fredo
fredo6 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby KMAM » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:44 pm

Toposhaper was not letting me increase my grid it would get stuck at 50% so I uninstalled and reinstalled both Toposhaper and Lib and now it is crashing when I try to generate terrain at all.

KMAM 

Postby fredo6 » Tue Oct 29, 2019 5:52 pm

KMAM wrote:Toposhaper was not letting me increase my grid it would get stuck at 50% so I uninstalled and reinstalled both Toposhaper and Lib and now it is crashing when I try to generate terrain at all.

This is a very unusual error. Could you post of PM me the model and the desired grid resolution.

Fredo
fredo6 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby KMAM » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:54 pm

I sent a PM

KMAM 

Re: [Plugin] TopoShaper - v2.5c - 29 Oct 19 - IsoContour & C

Postby fredo6 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:09 am

NEW RELEASE: TopoShaper v2.5c - 29 Oct 19

Requirement: LibFredo6 8.7a

TopoShaper 2.5c is a maintenance release for bug fixing.

-----------------------------------------

Home Page of TopoShaper for information and Download.

Main post of this TopoShaper thread.
fredo6 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby BenRitter » Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:23 pm

Thanks again for your generosity

BenRitter 

Postby zooen » Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:00 pm

Merci Fredo, tes plugins me sont très utiles, voire indispensables pour certains travaux.

Zooen

zooen 

Postby xtov » Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:56 pm

First Fredo, "Mille mercis", Thank you so much for all your plugins. They are invaluable...

I like and use a lot TopoShaper and i have a request. Could it be possible to add some editing tool for Cloud Points as you did for contours: set CP to a specified Z, remove CP, Add CP at specified Z ?

This will greatly speed up the process of building a nice and clean topography for projects (like for example the site tools in Revit where you just build some topo points by giving the altitude).

Kind regards,
thanks again
and Excellentes fêtes de fin d'année

Xtov
xtov 

Postby fredo6 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:20 am

xtov wrote:Could it be possible to add some editing tool for Cloud Points as you did for contours: set CP to a specified Z, remove CP, Add CP at specified Z ?

This is in my plan and will be fully addressed in a new plugin called FredoGuides.

I think there are some plugins doing what you are looking for, for instance Thomthom Guide Tools.

Possibly, you may want to have a look at FredoTools:DrawAlong, which allows to create guide points and specify their position.

But I agree that a dedicated tool would be better.
fredo6 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby sketchartist023 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 8:59 pm

Do you think this plugin will work for details like this or no?
sketchartist023 

Postby fredo6 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:15 pm

sketchartist023 wrote:Do you think this plugin will work for details like this or no?

Difficult to judge, but what is sure is that
- you need to clean up the crossing lines, and also 'artificial' contours that do not seem to belong to the terrain itself.
- A lot of the small rounds may be useless, unless you use a high-resolution grid

Anyway, the best is to try and see.
fredo6 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby sketchartist023 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:24 pm

fredo6 wrote:
sketchartist023 wrote:Do you think this plugin will work for details like this or no?

Difficult to judge, but what is sure is that
- you need to clean up the crossing lines, and also 'artificial' contours that do not seem to belong to the terrain itself.
- A lot of the small rounds may be useless, unless you use a high-resolution grid

Anyway, the best is to try and see.

I did just that, and the biggest difference that made no errors were the artificial contours, specifically the very outer border. WHich makes sense because z x and y would all equal the same (therefore an error), so once I deleted those and did a clean (based on the instructions of iso usage), it worked very well!

Check it out :)
sketchartist023 

Postby sketchartist023 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:28 pm

The resolution is also very acceptable considering the width of this model test is only 4 inches :P

I will read how to change resolution in case I need those smaller ones that you mentioned too. Hopefully, for 3d printing purposes, it will be useful to keep :) Thank you much for your help!
sketchartist023 

Postby sketchartist023 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:26 am

Wish me luck lolz :P And yes, this was all done by hand so far. Wish could use the js align tool but I have to learn it first :P

Progress is progress!
sketchartist023 

Postby fredo6 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:22 am

sketchartist023 wrote:The resolution is also very acceptable considering the width of this model test is only 4 inches :P
I will read how to change resolution in case I need those smaller ones that you mentioned too. Hopefully, for 3d printing purposes, it will be useful to keep :) Thank you much for your help!

I think your model would benefit from a higher resolution, as the terrain is basically flat with some very local deeps.

Also, you can always generate the terrain with its new isocontours (which would be clean), and then
- extract the group with these isocontours
- use them to regenerate a new terrain, possibly with another resolution.

Fredo
fredo6 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby sketchartist023 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:00 pm

fredo6 wrote:
sketchartist023 wrote:The resolution is also very acceptable considering the width of this model test is only 4 inches :P

I think your model would benefit from a higher resolution, as the terrain is basically flat with some very local deeps.

Also, you can always generate the terrain with its new isocontours (which would be clean), and then
- extract the group with these isocontours
- use them to regenerate a new terrain, possibly with another resolution.

Fredo

That is great info thank you :) Whqat would I likely have to do to generate new isocontours? Do you refer to within the same plugin? I can see howthat would benefit for both generation and time of generation without errors so I'd like to try that method for sure because my SU crashed with this last test. Likely a maxed memory usage idk but new isos would be ideal I agree with this resolution need. Thank you very much again for everything :)

EDIT: The new iso's might also rid the use of artificial contours I would imagine too, to that would be less work for my end if it works out well with generation :) In other words, I wouldnt have to manually erase them one by one after alignments :P
sketchartist023 

Postby fredo6 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:42 pm

sketchartist023 wrote:What would I likely have to do to generate new isocontours? Do you refer to within the same plugin?

When you generate the geometry, you have the option to generate the iso-contours for the terrain. These iso-contours are those corresponding to the generated terrain and thus may differ from the original ones. They are created as a subgroup of the terrain group.
fredo6 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby LTiNaTOwpole » Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:38 pm

I have very accurate site contours for a large, hilly site. The contours were drawn by a civil engineer and show the proposed conditions, including many vertical retaining walls. I have used TopoShaper to generate terrain from the contours, but it (like the default SketchUp version) doesn't seem to be able to handle vertical faces. See views below of contours and Toposhaper results:

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

Clearly a lot of detail is being lost here. Does anyone have any suggestions for how to handle this accurately?

@Fredo6: Thanks for your work creating this.

LTiNaTOwpole 

Postby fredo6 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 7:58 am

This is a limitation of Toposhaper. Vertical faces should be created after the 'natural' terrain has been generated. Vertical faces usually correspond to excavations, road borders, etc.. and should be created along with these objects.
fredo6 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby LTiNaTOwpole » Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:40 pm

Understood, thanks.

I'm curious whether there is another program out there that can create accurate models with vertically stacked contours.

LTiNaTOwpole 

Postby Didier Bur » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:24 am

I'm curious whether there is another program out there that can create accurate models with vertically stacked contours.

MeshLab http://www.meshlab.net/
Didier Bur
Ecole Nationale Supérieure d'Architecture de Nancy (F)
Didier Bur 

Postby gbelcik » Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:15 am

Hello,
First off, your plugin is remarkable! The terrain from point cloud is working fantastic, but I am running into an issue with a crash to desktop on generation of the quad terrain from ISO-Contours. I tested the example files using the same method and it generates fine. I have attached my file, could anyone maybe explain what I am doing wrong?

Thanks!

gbelcik 

Postby fredo6 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:09 pm

I don't have a problem
- when generating the triangulated terrain from guide points
- when generating the terrain in quadmesh, after extracting the iso-contours from the triangulated terrain

I wonder also what is the object mixing guide points and edges on the right (picture below).

Land plot.png

Can you tell me where it crashes.

Fredo
fredo6 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago

Ad Machine 
Robot

PreviousNext

Return to Plugins