[Plugin] FreeDXF Importer

Re: [Plugin] FreeDXF Importer

Postby Jim » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:43 pm

Hi Stephen - I've not experienced this myself, and don't know why it is happening.

The dialog is made using thomthom's SKUI framework.

Could it be an IE security setting?
Hi

Jim 
Global Moderator

Postby TIG » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:24 am

Yes, make sure that your IE Internet Options settings for Javascript etc are not overly strict...
Can you get other web-dialogs to work OK ?
TIG
TIG 
Global Moderator

Postby dpatrickryan » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:26 pm

Very promising plugin, but it's not 100% for my application. I'm looking for something to allow me to import planar DXF exports of lasercut plans for 3D printer parts (for extrusion and export as STLs). The built-in DXF importer in SketchUp 2014 worked fine, but that Pro-only feature has now expired in my free version. I tried installing the 0.8.2 revision, and everything came in more or less OK, except some of the curve fits to SPLINE elements are pretty chunky. Is there any way to improve the resolution of those curve fits? (I've got no control over the DXF itself - it's what I'm being given by the printer maker.)

dpatrickryan 

Postby Jim » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:58 pm

Yeah sorry. Splines are added incorrectly as straight lines between points. I just have not figured out how to handle splines in the dxf yet.

It may help to convert the .dxf to an older version using this: http://www.opendesign.com/guestfiles/Te ... eConverter
Hi

Jim 
Global Moderator

Postby dpatrickryan » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:42 am

Thanks for that - converting to R12 or R10 DXF seems to do the job.

dpatrickryan 

Postby mister bubbles » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:46 pm

Hi- Does this only work for PC? I cannot seem to download it...
Thank you.

mister bubbles 

Postby TIG » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:37 pm

mister bubbles wrote:Hi- Does this only work for PC? I cannot seem to download it...
http://sketchucation.com/pluginstore?pln=freedfx
Thank you.
Have you tried the PluginStore link in the first post in this thread ?
Download the RBZ, then use the Preferences > Extensions > Install... button to do the hard-work...
That tool is available with the latest release of version 8 and newer versions too...

Should work on PC or MAC :?
TIG
TIG 
Global Moderator

Postby SGC » Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:31 pm

TIG wrote:Yes, make sure that your IE Internet Options settings for Javascript etc are not overly strict...
Can you get other web-dialogs to work OK ?

I wanted to update this - I do not have problems with other dialogs. Infact, this same plugin works fine in my SU13. My work around has been to revert back to my SU13, call up the plugin, import, save, and open in SU14. So I can't imagine the dialog box error coming from IE if the same plugin works through a different version of SU.

SGC 

Postby rsa » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:25 pm

Jim wrote:Yeah sorry. Splines are added incorrectly as straight lines between points. I just have not figured out how to handle splines in the dxf yet.

It may help to convert the .dxf to an older version using this: http://www.opendesign.com/guestfiles/Te ... eConverter

Hi Jim,
I let myself to modify draw_spline methods.
I used bezier curve instead of lines for drawing splines.
Curves can be edit by "su bezier" plugin :)
If you interested I happy to send you code.

rsa 

Postby Jim » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:31 pm

rsa wrote:
Hi Jim,
I let myself to modify draw_spline methods.
I used bezier curve instead of lines for drawing splines.
Curves can be edit by "su bezier" plugin :)
If you interested I happy to send you code.

Yes of course. That would be great! Thank you.
Hi

Jim 
Global Moderator

Postby Jim » Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:32 pm

Updated to version 0.9.0 with support for SPLINE entities thanks to rsa.

Splines are added to the model as Bezier curve objects, and are editable through the right-click menu.

Update available through the SketchUcation Plugin Store.
Hi

Jim 
Global Moderator

Postby hdpv » Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:57 am

I have some update!
Last edited by hdpv on Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
hdpv 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

THANK YOU!!

Postby tweyermann2 » Fri Mar 13, 2015 3:47 am

THANK YOU SO MUCH!! I HAVEN'T BEEN ABLE TO FIND A PLUGIN THAT WORKS SINCE SKETCHUP 2015 REMOVED DXF SUPPORT FOR THE FREE VERSION. THANK YOU!!!!!!! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

tweyermann2 

Postby wootton » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:35 pm

Does version 0.9.0 work with SketchUp 2015 free version? I'm currently using v0.8.2 with SketchUp 2014 (works great, thanks!)
Tom Wootton

wootton 

Postby Jim » Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:35 pm

wootton wrote:Does version 0.9.0 work with SketchUp 2015 free version? I'm currently using v0.8.2 with SketchUp 2014 (works great, thanks!)

Yeah, 0.9.0 works on 2015 Make.
Hi

Jim 
Global Moderator

Postby abbis » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:29 am

Hi All,

Can anyone please assist. I am working on a MAC, (OS X 10.8.5), I have Sketchup Make 2014 installed, and I have installed the FreeDXF v0.11.1

I am trying to import the attached .dxf file. (which is an export from a GIS program). The file opens easily in CAD lt2011 as well as in vector programs such as Illustrator.

When I first attempted to import the file nothing happened in sketchp. With the ruby console open I get the following error:

Error: #<Errno::ENOENT: No such file or directory - /volumes/projects/x training/buildinglines_saveas.dxf>
/Users/abbijoustra/Library/Application Support/SketchUp 2014/SketchUp/Plugins/jf-FreeDXF/dxf2ruby.rb:54:in `initialize'
/Users/abbijoustra/Library/Application Support/SketchUp 2014/SketchUp/Plugins/jf-FreeDXF/dxf2ruby.rb:54:in `open'
/Users/abbijoustra/Library/Application Support/SketchUp 2014/SketchUp/Plugins/jf-FreeDXF/dxf2ruby.rb:54:in `parse'
/Users/abbijoustra/Library/Application Support/SketchUp 2014/SketchUp/Plugins/jf-FreeDXF/freedxf.rb:252:in `import'
/Users/abbijoustra/Library/Application Support/SketchUp 2014/SketchUp/Plugins/jf-FreeDXF/freedxf.rb:219:in `do_import'
/Users/abbijoustra/Library/Application Support/SketchUp 2014/SketchUp/Plugins/jf-FreeDXF/freedxf.rb:112:in `block in do_options'
/Users/abbijoustra/Library/Application Support/SketchUp 2014/SketchUp/Plugins/jf-FreeDXF/SKUI/events.rb:82:in `call'
/Users/abbijoustra/Library/Application Support/SketchUp 2014/SketchUp/Plugins/jf-FreeDXF/SKUI/events.rb:82:in `block in trigger_event'
/Users/abbijoustra/Library/Application Support/SketchUp 2014/SketchUp/Plugins/jf-FreeDXF/SKUI/events.rb:78:in `each'
/Users/abbijoustra/Library/Application Support/SketchUp 2014/SketchUp/Plugins/jf-FreeDXF/SKUI/events.rb:78:in `trigger_event'
/Users/abbijoustra/Library/Application Support/SketchUp 2014/SketchUp/Plugins/jf-FreeDXF/SKUI/window.rb:357:in `event_control_callback'
/Users/abbijoustra/Library/Application Support/SketchUp 2014/SketchUp/Plugins/jf-FreeDXF/SKUI/window.rb:311:in `callback_handler'
/Users/abbijoustra/Library/Application Support/SketchUp 2014/SketchUp/Plugins/jf-FreeDXF/SKUI/window.rb:269:in `block in add_callback'
-e:1:in `call'

Can anyone help?

Many thanks!

abbis 

Postby Jim » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:49 am

Is your filesystem set to case-sensitive?

Either way, try version 0.11.2 I just uploaded to the PluginStore.
Hi

Jim 
Global Moderator

Postby driven » Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:37 pm

abbis wrote:...
Error: #<Errno::ENOENT: No such file or directory - /volumes/projects/x training/buildinglines_saveas.dxf>...

copy the file to your Desktop rather than using a mounted volume...

also, do you have TeighaFileConverter.app installed?

Jim, the new versions working well on my mac...

john
learn from the mistakes of others, you may not live long enough to make them all yourself...

driven 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby Jim » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:56 pm

Thank you for verifying, John.
Hi

Jim 
Global Moderator

Postby abbis » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:53 am

Ah!

Thank you very much John! The mounted volume seems to have been the issue. I can import the file fine now. Thanks Jim, I will install the 0.11.2 and give that a try shortly.

abbis 

Postby mgate » Mon Jan 25, 2016 2:31 pm

First of all, thanks a lot for your plugin, Jim.

Just a query about the Teihga converter.
The dwg import option doesn't work (with SKU 2015 Make and latest FreeDXF v.0.11.2).
The Teigha has been installed in the default folder, and works fine. However, in SKU when I try to import a dwg file, that format is not available in the dialog box (only the "Cad files" option for dxf files), as if the plugin doesn't grab the converter.

Does anyone solved the same issue?

Many thanks in advance for your help.

mgate 

Postby driven » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:25 pm

are you importing from the Extensions or File menu item ?
john
learn from the mistakes of others, you may not live long enough to make them all yourself...

driven 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby mgate » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:26 pm

driven wrote:are you importing from the Extensions or File menu item ?
john

through the Extensions (the dwg format is not available in FreeDXF Importer plugin)

I looked into the Ruby file "teigha.rb". Is it required an additional file or library called "fileutils"? If so, that file is missing inside "jf-freedxf" folder.

Code: Select all
require "fileutils"

module JF
  module FreeDXF
    module Teigha

# Teigha Command Line Format is:
      #   Quoted Input Folder
      #   Quoted Output Folder
      #   Output_version {"ACAD9","ACAD10","ACAD12", "ACAD13","ACAD14", "ACAD2000","ACAD2004", "ACAD2007","ACAD2010"}
      #   Output File type {"DWG","DXF","DXB"}
      #   Recurse Input Folder {"0","1"}
      #   Audit each file {"0","1"}
      #   [optional] Input file filter (default:"*.DWG;*.DXF") (Use File.basename(filename))

if Sketchup.platform == :platform_win
          EXE = "C:/Program Files (x86)/ODA/Teigha File Converter 4.01.0/TeighaFileConverter.exe"
       else
          EXE = "/Applications/TeighaFileConverter.app/Contents/MacOS/TeighaFileConverter"
       end

In my WIN 8.1 Pro, the Teigha sofware is installed in the default folder too:
C:/Program Files (x86)/ODA/Teigha File Converter 4.01.0/TeighaFileConverter.exe

Cheers!

mgate 

Postby driven » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:04 pm

mgate wrote:through the Extensions (the dwg format is not available in FreeDXF Importer plugin)[

You can select a .dwg or a .dxf file and it should import...

it required an additional file or library called "fileutils"? If so, that file is missing inside "jf-freedxf" folder.

that's in the SU Ruby folder, so it's already available from there...

have you tried it with 'Ruby Console' open to see if there are any error messages?

the other thing to try is doing the conversion directly in TeighaFileConverter, if it fails there you may get a reason given...

john

driven 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby Jim » Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:24 pm

Actually, I don't think `fileutils` is needed. I think I was going to use some methods in fileutils to search for the Teigha converter on the disk drive, but haven't got back to it.

You can remove or comment out the line.
Hi

Jim 
Global Moderator

Postby mgate » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:35 pm

neither working if commented out the "fileutils" line.

I have a folder with two files in dxf and dwg formats:
snapshoot 1.jpg

Once opened the "FreeDXF v.0.11.2" pop-up window, there is only the dxf file (the dwg file is not available):
snapshoot 2.jpg

Is there a problem with "extra extensions"?
def self.select_file(extra_extensions = "")
      title     = 'FreeDXF Select DXF File'
      directory = nil
      # filename  = 'DXF|*.dxf|DWG|*.dwg||'
      filenames = "Cad Files|*.dxf" + extra_extensions + "||"
      file_path = UI.openpanel(title, directory, filenames)
      if file_path.nil?
        return nil
      else
        file_path.tr!('\\', '/')
        @last_selected_file = file_path
        return file_path
      end
    end

def self.main
       puts "\nFreeDXF debugging ON." if $JFDEBUG
       extra_extensions = Teigha.available? ? ";*.dwg" : ""
       file_path = select_file(extra_extensions)
       return if file_path.nil?
       #file_path.downcase!
       if file_path.end_with?(".dwg")
          Teigha.dialog()
          file_path = Teigha.convert(file_path)
          if file_path.nil?
             puts "dxf file was not created."
             return
          end
       end

Any idea how to solve?
Another way is to convert dwg files manually with TeighaFileConverter, and then use FreeDXF plugin in SKU.
Sorry to snoop around your codes :|

mgate 

Postby Jim » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:20 pm

This appears to be due to a difference between SketchUp 15 and SketchUp 16 UI.openpanel behavior.

As a short-term work-around, can you try to enter a * then press ENTER in the filename dropdown to force all files to be listed?
Hi

Jim 
Global Moderator

Postby atelierpaar » Thu May 05, 2016 1:10 pm

Hello Jim
A couple of days ago I posted a request for a plugin that would import measurements directly from a 3D Laser "Leica Disto S910 " in order to draw direct on site.

viewtopic.php?f=323&t=64830&p=594596#p594596

Could your plugin be developed to do the Job ?
Thanks for your response
Uli
atelierpaar 

Postby Kuu » Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:44 pm

Nice plugin, works much better than the SketchupPro import. However, there's a few things I've noticed:

• It does not respect blocks' scaling / orientation properly: blocks that were mirrored in the original DXF sometimes end up in strange positions (this does not happen with the other import).

• Perhaps related to the last issue, sometimes I saw blocks that had the proper orientation but had ellipse elements that were rotated in 90 or 180 degrees.

• Layer colors? Why doesn't it keep the DXF layer colors the way the sketchup-included DXF importer does? Currently I work around this by importing it with one (to get the layer colors) and then delete all the geometry/components and reimport with yours, would be awesome to not have to do this.

• It would be nice if the import also preserved layer visibility, or have a toggle to choose on import. Currently it sets all the layers to visible.

• Another toggle to merge DXF layer 0 to sketchup's Layer0 would be handy too.

• Is it possible for it to keep polylines? I don't know if it's a DXF limitation or Sketchup or what. Polylines would be a godsend!

I'm on SketchUp 2016 and macOS 10.11.6 in case that's relevant...

Kuu 

Postby Jim » Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:49 am

Kuu wrote:Nice plugin, works much better than the SketchupPro import. However, there's a few things I've noticed: ...

Hi Kuu, thanks for the feedback.

> It does not respect blocks' scaling / orientation properly: blocks that were mirrored in the original DXF sometimes end up in strange positions (this does not happen with the other import).

Could you provide a minimal .dxf example file, and example result?

> Perhaps related to the last issue, sometimes I saw blocks that had the proper orientation but had ellipse elements that were rotated in 90 or 180 degrees.

Maybe related, maybe not - ellipses have proven difficult to crack but it's been awhile since I've had a look at it. Again, a minimal sample file demonstrating an incorrect ellipse would be helpful.

> Layer colors? Visibility?

I wrote this long before SketchUp had support for setting layer colors. Now it does. Can have a look.
Hi

Jim 
Global Moderator

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago

Ad Machine 
Robot

PreviousNext

Return to Plugins