[REQ] Re generate at...

General discusson for Skatter for SketchUp

Moderator: jiminy-billy-bob

[REQ] Re generate at...

Postby JQL » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:31 am

Hi Jiminy/Tomasz,

I have some requests/questions related with Thea+Skatter and when to (re)generate geometry.

1 - Right now skatter isn't automatically generating geometry at rendertime if one closes and opens a model. We need to edit all saved skatters on the render list and manually (re)generate them. Am I missing something?

2 - When exporting to Studio, skattered objects are not being exported. The workaround is converting the render skatters into actual geometry skatters prior to rendering. Sending a model to a render farm will be harder that way.

3 - Would be nice to have the ability within skatter to export a Sketchup model with the generated at render skatters converted to actual proxies for the exported model only. That way we could send our sketchup file with all objects for someone else or archive them without the need of opening on a sketchup with skatter installed or for people who don't own the supported render engines.
JQL 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: [REQ] Re generate at...

Postby jiminy-billy-bob » Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:46 am

JQL wrote:1 - Right now skatter isn't automatically generating geometry at rendertime if one closes and opens a model. We need to edit all saved skatters on the render list and manually (re)generate them. Am I missing something?

Oh? This should work. Please add the attached rb file in your plugins folder and tell me if there is an error when opening a file with rendered Skatter setups.
You should only see something like:
---- Skatter ----
Regenerate render instances from attributes : 0.117007 s
---- End ----

JQL wrote:2 - When exporting to Studio, skattered objects are not being exported. The workaround is converting the render skatters into actual geometry skatters prior to rendering. Sending a model to a render farm will be harder that way.

I have no control over what Thea does internally, so you should check that with Tomasz directly.

JQL wrote:3 - Would be nice to have the ability within skatter to export a Sketchup model with the generated at render skatters converted to actual proxies for the exported model only. That way we could send our sketchup file with all objects for someone else or archive them without the need of opening on a sketchup with skatter installed or for people who don't own the supported render engines.

This may be doable, but I'm not sure I get the point. Why can't you generate actual geometry, and save the file as a copy?
jiminy-billy-bob 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby JQL » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:04 pm

jiminy-billy-bob wrote:Oh? This should work. Please add the attached rb file in your plugins folder and tell me if there is an error when opening a file with rendered Skatter setups.
You should only see something like:
---- Skatter ----
Regenerate render instances from attributes : 0.117007 s
---- End ----

What attachement rb?

jiminy-billy-bob wrote:2 - When exporting to Studio, skattered objects are not being exported. The workaround is converting the render skatters into actual geometry skatters prior to rendering. Sending a model to a render farm will be harder that way.

I have no control over what Thea does internally, so you should check that with Tomasz directly.[/quote]

I did that on Thea's beta forum but that's also why this message is addressed to you and him.

jiminy-billy-bob wrote:This may be doable, but I'm not sure I get the point. Why can't you generate actual geometry, and save the file as a copy?

Because that would make me have to manually do it. If I have several skatters it will be cumbersome. Mind that I would want to keep the original file as it is, and in that file Skatter would keep generating the models at render only. I assume this would take some of the need of having skatter installed though that would might also be bad for business. Maybe you shouldn't.
JQL 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby jiminy-billy-bob » Fri Mar 20, 2015 3:10 pm

JQL wrote:What attachement rb?

Sorry, here you go.
console.rb

JQL wrote:Because that would make me have to manually do it. If I have several skatters it will be cumbersome.

Alright.
I think this is possible, but I'm not sure. It means to modify the file after it is saved as a copy, and it requiers a seperate SDK, which I've never used yet.
So I'll keep that in mind, but don't expect to see it soon.
jiminy-billy-bob 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby JQL » Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:12 pm

Thanks for the rb and thanks for considering it. It's not one of my top priorities either. It's possible to do it in other ways...
JQL 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby JQL » Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:35 pm

Here's what I got:

---- Skatter ----
Regenerate render instances from attributes : 0.0 s
---- End ----

But I can guess what happened:

I ALWAYS open skechup first and only from within sketchup do I search for a model I've been working on. I do this because it's the only way Sketchup asks if I want to open a recent Auto Save if it exists.

As I always do this, SU loads my default template first and skatter loads into that file searching for skatters to regenerate and finding none.

Then I open my working model but skatter is already loaded into sketchup so it won't load again and this is what might be making skatter ignore render instances in the new model.

Might it be?
JQL 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby jiminy-billy-bob » Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:39 pm

Oh man, I could I missed this?! I never open files from within SU, so it didn't even crossed my mind.
I'll fix it.
jiminy-billy-bob 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby JQL » Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:53 pm

Cool!
JQL 
Premium Member
Premium Member

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago