[BUG] Redoing skatter; skatter disappearing; missing surface

General discusson for Skatter for SketchUp

Moderator: jiminy-billy-bob

[BUG] Redoing skatter; skatter disappearing; missing surface

Postby JQL » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:35 pm

I have several bugs using skatter:

- I'm able to generate the skatter correctly only if I use areas for adding, subtracting is very unstable;
- I can create skatters but rarely edit them as preview doesn't get generated, nor render shows skattered objects:
- When I save my file and reopnen it my skatter doesn't work anymore;
- The only way I was able to circumvent this was to create a new skatter an overwrite the old one;
- If the new skatter's name is the same as an previous skatter (so I would overwrite it), preview fails again;
- When a lot of this similar skatters are assigned to a surface it ceases functionning and assigning a new skatter bugsplats;
- This also stopped working and I had to create new surface/areas groups;
- In one model the skatter surface (wich was common to all skatters) went missing (deleted from model), but I don't know if this was caused by skatter, by eneroth's erode, by mismanagement of layers or something else between chair and laptop.

But, if you think I'm complaining, then rest assured, I'm totally in love with skatter.

This is a model wich main focus is still sectioncutface in this stage... a little bit o skatter and a couple of furniture objects and voilá mon cher ami! Merci beaucoup et bonne anée!

02.2 Encarnacao Rua 7-Alçado Interior.jpg
JQL 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: [BUG] Redoing skatter; skatter disappearing; missing sur

Postby jiminy-billy-bob » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:14 pm

First of all, do you have any error in the ruby console when any of these happen?
(Please always include this when reporting bugs. You can find attached a small script that will open the console at startup, so you can see errors happening at that time)

The ruby console output is necessary for me to be able to track down the issues.
Also, if you can get a set of steps that will reproduce the error every time, that would be great.

JQL wrote:- If the new skatter's name is the same as an previous skatter (so I would overwrite it), preview fails again;

This sounds odd, as there can be unlimited Skatter setups with the same name. They are identified by unique IDs, not their names.

JQL wrote:- In one model the skatter surface (wich was common to all skatters) went missing (deleted from model), but I don't know if this was caused by skatter, by eneroth's erode, by mismanagement of layers or something else between chair and laptop.

I really doubt Skatter would be responsible for that. But we never know...
jiminy-billy-bob 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby JQL » Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:02 am

Console until I hit the new surface:

Code: Select all
(eval):1: warning: already initialized constant Traductor::SU_MAJOR_VERSION
C:/Users/Joao/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/Fredo6_!LibFredo6/Lib6Core.rb:40: warning: previous definition of SU_MAJOR_VERSION was here
(eval):1: warning: already initialized constant Traductor::RUN_ON_MAC
C:/Users/Joao/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/Fredo6_!LibFredo6/Lib6Core.rb:39: warning: previous definition of RUN_ON_MAC was here
C:/Users/Joao/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/Fredo6_!LibFredo6/Lib6Traductor.rb:28: warning: already initialized constant Traductor::LBT__DEF
C:/Users/Joao/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/LibTraductor.rb:31: warning: previous definition of LBT__DEF was here
C:/Users/Joao/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/Fredo6_!LibFredo6/Lib6Traductor.rb:32: warning: already initialized constant Traductor::VALID_ERROR
C:/Users/Joao/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/LibTraductor.rb:35: warning: previous definition of VALID_ERROR was here
C:/Users/Joao/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/Fredo6_!LibFredo6/Lib6Traductor.rb:34: warning: already initialized constant Traductor::VALID_MIN
C:/Users/Joao/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/LibTraductor.rb:38: warning: previous definition of VALID_MIN was here
C:/Users/Joao/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/Fredo6_!LibFredo6/Lib6Traductor.rb:35: warning: already initialized constant Traductor::VALID_MAX
C:/Users/Joao/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/LibTraductor.rb:39: warning: previous definition of VALID_MAX was here
C:/Users/Joao/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/Fredo6_!LibFredo6/Lib6Traductor.rb:36: warning: already initialized constant Traductor::VALID_PATTERN
C:/Users/Joao/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/LibTraductor.rb:40: warning: previous definition of VALID_PATTERN was here
C:/Users/Joao/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/Fredo6_!LibFredo6/Lib6Traductor.rb:535: warning: redefining constant Struct::DlgItem
C:/Users/Joao/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/Fredo6_!LibFredo6/Lib6Traductor.rb:535: warning: already initialized constant Traductor::DialogBox::DlgItem
C:/Users/Joao/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/LibTraductor.rb:183: warning: previous definition of DlgItem was here
DL is deprecated, please use Fiddle
Nesting RScleanup :[PiGa]
RS0.5.4|0.000|Logging to RubyPanel : false
RS0.5.4|0.000|Logging to File : false
RS0.5.4|0.000|Logging OFF :
C:/Users/Joao/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/smustard_Weld/weld.rb:73: warning: already initialized constant Smustard::Submenu
C:/Users/Joao/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/smustard_PathCopy/PathCopy.rb:60: warning: previous definition of Submenu was here
C:/Users/Joao/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/smustard_Weld/weld.rb:82: warning: already initialized constant Smustard::Toolbar
C:/Users/Joao/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/smustard_PathCopy/PathCopy.rb:68: warning: previous definition of Toolbar was here
Tolerance default to 0.001

---- Skatter ----
2SX3BHEOH7Z9IgFKr7VIt5 not found
Regenerate render instances from attributes : 79.20714 s
---- End ----

-----------------
---- Skatter ----
View redraw : 0.02 s
Total : 0.02 s
------ End ------
-----------------

Link to model and gif with the bug splat and previous actions.

https://app.box.com/s/ucm7j4nk5e64vubbfzrm

Couldn't get what's showing on the console when selecting the surface, as bugsplat blows the console away too.

I hope this helps.
JQL 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby jiminy-billy-bob » Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:10 pm

Thank you, this is very helpfull.
jiminy-billy-bob 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby JQL » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:55 pm

I am testing this file again and found a loose triangle on the surface geometry. I don't believe that's the reason for failing but...

To redo the skatters I tried selecting another surface, exploding and regrouping the surface with no success (meaning bugsplat). Only when I deleted the skatters did I manage to make a successful skatter again.

The skatters were perfect and are working well when saving and opening file.

I tried editing the surface group and refreshing it. I was using smoove tool and made some groups that divided the surface in parts. After manipulating the groups I forgot to explode them to make the surface whole again. The surface group was then composed of several nested groups. When refreshing the surface and then Regenerating skatter it produced a bugsplat too. When I exploded the nested groups skatter refreshed nicely. Maybe this bugsplat could be prevented too?
JQL 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby jiminy-billy-bob » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:59 pm

Your file is triggering multiple seperate issues, I'm fixing them one by one.

One of them was indeed a bug with nested groups/comps as a surface.
jiminy-billy-bob 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby JQL » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:49 pm

Sorry for giving you trouble. I hope it's worth it...

What I found out is that after all, the only way to get back the preview and render objects was to remove the skatter area and then add it back. This generates preview and renders the models and it's not necessary to reselect the surface.

Do you think this might be related to area subtraction also not working well with me?
JQL 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby jiminy-billy-bob » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:55 pm

JQL wrote:Sorry for giving you trouble. I hope it's worth it...

Please continue, this is very usefull!

JQL wrote:What I found out is that after all, the only way to get back the preview and render objects was to remove the skatter area and then add it back. This generates preview and renders the models and it's not necessary to reselect the surface.

Yeah, or you can simply check "exclude", then "include" again.

JQL wrote:Do you think this might be related to area subtraction also not working well with me?

I think so. I'm not quite sure for now, though.
jiminy-billy-bob 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago

Ad Machine 
Robot

Return to Skatter