[FR] Some thoughts on UI

General discusson for Skatter for SketchUp

Moderator: jiminy-billy-bob

[FR] Some thoughts on UI

Postby JQL » Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:55 am

Following our theme of the day (UI) I have some very minor observations.

1 - Graphical interface is excellent! Excellent!

2 - Overall I like that you adapted most of Sketchup window's Icons but I think:
2.1 - Would it be very hard to use the icon for more details that Sketchup uses on Manager Windows (that plus sign with an arrow) I know yours is minimal and better looking but the other is... well... Sketchup.
2.2 - The horizontal lines that separate parameters makes me unsure about the bold text being related with what's up or down. I would say that they should be on top of bold Text, but I understand the idea of underlining them.
2.3 - The boxes where the tickboxes are seem more prohiminent than their parents Bold Text lines and this may be related to 2.2.

3 - When introducing values I would wish that when I press "Return/Enter" Key to assume it, I could then immediately write another value to keep experimenting with live preview. However every time the key is pressed we have to go back to the mouse and click, to input another value. This seems minor indeed but makes it less dynamic to interact with the plugin (I hope you don't think I'm being picky)

4 - I understand that the lines are of a thick red for large scale models like trees. However, for minimal models of very small elements, like grass or fibers on a carpet, one sees it all red without being able to tell one fiber from another. Would it be hard to make this lines be thiner if the input on distance is smaller? (Maybe this could be an user variable in a preferences button somewhere if it wouldn't bloat the plugin of course)

5 - Would you consider a scroll bar? If every preference is open we can't see the bottom ones?

As you can see, this are all very minor things, so feel free to disregard everything. It's just my strange way of trying to help.

Thanks,

João
0
User avatar
JQL 
Premium Member
Premium Member
 

Re: [FR] Some thoughts on UI

Postby jiminy-billy-bob » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:52 am

JQL wrote:2.1 - Would it be very hard to use the icon for more details that Sketchup uses on Manager Windows (that plus sign with an arrow) I know yours is minimal and better looking but the other is... well... Sketchup.

Where do you think I should use these icons?

JQL wrote:2.2 - The horizontal lines that separate parameters makes me unsure about the bold text being related with what's up or down. I would say that they should be on top of bold Text, but I understand the idea of underlining them.
2.3 - The boxes where the tickboxes are seem more prohiminent than their parents Bold Text lines and this may be related to 2.2.
3 - When introducing values I would wish that when I press "Return/Enter" Key to assume it, I could then immediately write another value to keep experimenting with live preview. However every time the key is pressed we have to go back to the mouse and click, to input another value. This seems minor indeed but makes it less dynamic to interact with the plugin (I hope you don't think I'm being picky)

You're right, I'll improve all of this.

JQL wrote:4 - I understand that the lines are of a thick red for large scale models like trees. However, for minimal models of very small elements, like grass or fibers on a carpet, one sees it all red without being able to tell one fiber from another. Would it be hard to make this lines be thiner if the input on distance is smaller? (Maybe this could be an user variable in a preferences button somewhere if it wouldn't bloat the plugin of course)

The preview will be better (with bounding boxes and other shape options, and I hope points cloud at some point in the future).

JQL wrote:5 - Would you consider a scroll bar? If every preference is open we can't see the bottom ones?

There is one, you don't see it? What's your IE version?



JQL wrote:As you can see, this are all very minor things, so feel free to disregard everything. It's just my strange way of trying to help.

This is all very good, thank you. Keep it coming! :D
0
User avatar
jiminy-billy-bob 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author
 

Re: [FR] Some thoughts on UI

Postby JQL » Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:17 am

jiminy-billy-bob wrote:
JQL wrote:2.1 - Would it be very hard to use the icon for more details that Sketchup uses on Manager Windows (that plus sign with an arrow) I know yours is minimal and better looking but the other is... well... Sketchup.

Where do you think I should use these icons?

Well I think they would replace the black triangled arrow as they usually expand content on sketchup dialogs.


jiminy-billy-bob wrote:The preview will be better (with bounding boxes and other shape options, and I hope points cloud at some point in the future).


Really? That'd be cool. I was expecting some thiner lines only... :)

jiminy-billy-bob wrote:
JQL wrote:5 - Would you consider a scroll bar? If every preference is open we can't see the bottom ones?

There is one, you don't see it? What's your IE version?


11.0.9600.17501

Thanks,

João
0
User avatar
JQL 
Premium Member
Premium Member
 

Re: [FR] Some thoughts on UI

Postby jiminy-billy-bob » Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:39 am

JQL wrote:11.0.9600.17501

I just updated IE to that version, and I see that too.

What the heck Microsoft, why you break everything!
0
User avatar
jiminy-billy-bob 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author
 

Re: [FR] Some thoughts on UI

Postby jiminy-billy-bob » Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:00 pm

Ok, here is how to fix it until next version:

Open Plugins/jbb_skatter/html/skatter.css

At the top in body,
replace
overflow-y: scroll; (line 10)
by
overflow: scroll;
overflow-x: hidden;
0
User avatar
jiminy-billy-bob 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author
 

Re: [FR] Some thoughts on UI

Postby JQL » Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:02 pm

jiminy-billy-bob wrote:
JQL wrote:11.0.9600.17501

I just updated IE to that version, and I see that too.

What the heck Microsoft, why you break everything!


LOL that is obvious, to have things to fix and keep their jobs.

Give problems and sell solutions!
0
User avatar
JQL 
Premium Member
Premium Member
 

Re: [FR] Some thoughts on UI

Postby JQL » Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:05 pm

Jiminy,

Also on this it's much easier to separate all parameters. Now with the circle icons for "+" and "-" and that "b&w + arrow" icon for closing and open boxes makes it look like native SU. Cool!

I have some more thoughts about UI for you to consider:

1 - What I was thinking about general panel being on top was that having the name of the current skatter always being displayed is very useful. Right now, when working on parameters of multiple skatters I don't longer know wich skatter I'm actually working on... What I currently do is scrolling up and down to see the skatter's name.

2 - The hidden extra parameters inside boxes are sliding on and off when you activate them. This saves space and is looking very good, however, for people trying to find they're way around the plugin, wouldn't it be easier to have the parameters greyed out? You'd still be able to read them, knowing more about each parameter wich would help people understand what each of them is related to. Of course this occupies more space and it's less good looking, but with the open/close boxes icon and the scrollbar, I think space is a bit "wasteable" if you think this might also help readability.

Here's a mockup of what I was thinking of:

Skatter UI.png


I hope you like it and thanks,

João
0
User avatar
JQL 
Premium Member
Premium Member
 

Re: [FR] Some thoughts on UI

Postby jiminy-billy-bob » Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:44 pm

JQL wrote:1 - What I was thinking about general panel being on top was that having the name of the current skatter always being displayed is very useful. Right now, when working on parameters of multiple skatters I don't longer know wich skatter I'm actually working on... What I currently do is scrolling up and down to see the skatter's name.

Good idea!

JQL wrote:2 - The hidden extra parameters inside boxes are sliding on and off when you activate them. This saves space and is looking very good, however, for people trying to find they're way around the plugin, wouldn't it be easier to have the parameters greyed out? You'd still be able to read them, knowing more about each parameter wich would help people understand what each of them is related to. Of course this occupies more space and it's less good looking, but with the open/close boxes icon and the scrollbar, I think space is a bit "wasteable" if you think this might also help readability.

I really like the way it it now. Otherwise, as I'll add more and more features, the UI will become a huge mess.
These are all pretty advanced parameters anyway. A new user won't need them right away, he needs a simple UI with the major parameters. And a more advanced user will know where to find them.
I could add an option to not collapse these boxes, though.
0
User avatar
jiminy-billy-bob 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author
 

Re: [FR] Some thoughts on UI

Postby Rich O Brien » Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:41 pm

LightUp has a beginner and advanced UI

ADVANCED exposes all the mutt's nuts.
0
There's a frontroom and a backroom....reverse faces
User avatar
Rich O Brien 
Administrator
 

Re: [FR] Some thoughts on UI

Postby JQL » Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:22 am

Point Taken!

If you add the two options though, it would be perfect... However if you don't think it's better, I don't know if it's worth the effort. There's probably much more to think of than this...
0
User avatar
JQL 
Premium Member
Premium Member
 

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago



Ad Machine 
Robot
 



 

Return to Skatter

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

Visit our sponsors: