[wishlist] SketchUp Viewer

Got an idea to improve SketchUp?

Re: [wishlist] SketchUp Viewer

Postby ginahoy » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:31 am

beginner wrote:I assume you have 2GB RAM not 2MB RAM.

Yes, sorry, that's 2GB. I can't test because I don't yet have the SU file I need to view. I'd prefer not to ask the client for the file until after I check the system requirements.

ginahoy 

Postby beginner » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:53 am

Download some SKP files from Google Warehouse.
You can find some small and big files on any subject - right files to test your computer with SUV. :thumb:
http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/
Regards, SU 'beginner'
beginner 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby TIG » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:43 am

On a 32bit PC you can't ever use more than ~3.3Gb of RAM, so ~4Gb is a logical choice for such chip-sets - since they come in crude 'size-steps' and they never report having exactly the RAM it says on the packet anyway.
Your PC's OS is going to use about >~1.3Gb - depending on what you have auto-loading etc.
This leaves you with a potential maximum of <~2Gb of available RAM for SketchUp/Viewer - but of course you ARE likely to have other apps running concurrently too...
If your current RAM is only ~2Gb then you'll only have ~0.7Gb to run all things other than the OS... i.e. that's ~1/3rd of the maximum possible [useful] RAM you can have had installed.
You CAN probably run SketchUp/Viewer on this minimal amount of RAM, but you ought to see considerable improvements in performance if you added some more RAM to the PC [up to ~4Gb, as more on a 32bit system is 'wasted'] - RAM is now relatively inexpensive...
Also your Graphics card will impinge on your PC's usability, but I think that adding a better GC that might way out-class the RAM is not your best initial approach initially... :?
TIG
TIG 
Global Moderator

Postby Dan Rathbun » Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:35 pm

ginahoy wrote:This may not be the best place to ask this, but ...

I agree. It's is preferable that you start your own topic, rather than take one offtopic. (But stuff happens..)
:P

BTW, I did report the broken link a couple of weeks ago.
    I'm not here much anymore. But a PM will fire email notifications.
    Dan Rathbun 
    PluginStore Author
    PluginStore Author

Postby Sl!m » Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:03 am

Hi There,

The measuring tool is definitely a must have.
    Clients are always after numbers after all ;)

Sl!m 
    Premium Member
    Premium Member

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago

Ad Machine 
    Robot

Previous

Return to SketchUp Feature Requests