Copy retains Layers

Got an idea to improve LayOut?

Copy retains Layers

Postby bmike » Wed May 16, 2012 8:40 pm

Why on earth, when I copy / paste, do my objects default to the current layer?
Cannot my items retain their layer status?

If I move from sheet to sheet, and copy notes / dimensions / column grids, etc... I'd prefer if they stay put where I put them in the first place...

Please... TrimbleOut team, make LayOut a bit more intuitive.
1
User avatar
bmike 
 

Re: Copy retains Layers

Postby baz » Thu May 24, 2012 1:06 pm

Layout is a bit of a pain, agreed. But before you copy and paste, pre-select the layer you want to paste on.
0
I am both an early bird and a night owl, I am some form of permanently energized dragon.
User avatar
baz 
 

Re: Copy retains Layers

Postby Sonder » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:40 pm

I have found there are times when I want to copy something from another page and change the layer. I like how that works right now.
0

Sonder 
Premium Member
Premium Member
 

Re: Copy retains Layers

Postby pbacot » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:10 pm

Don't most applications act like this? My CAD does. So does SU. What's lacking IMO is an entity window or something that gives the object's layer or any layer management functions. I usually keep CAD files in order while working by using temporary layer color settings.
0
MacOSX Mojave ShetchUp Pro v19 Twilight Pro v2 M2 Kerkythea PowerCADD
User avatar
pbacot 
Top SketchUcator
 

Re: Copy retains Layers

Postby bmike » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:31 pm

Sonder wrote:I have found there are times when I want to copy something from another page and change the layer. I like how that works right now.



I guess I have a different workflow. Here are a few typical layer setups: (and I sometimes add more graphics to the page using LO's shapes)

Screen Shot 2012-07-25 at 1.27.35 PM.png


Screen Shot 2012-07-25 at 12.36.39 PM.png


I'll often move from one page to the next. All 'notes' live on the notes layer. Same with dimensions. Etc.
Why these things jump around from one page to the next if you are not vigilant is beyond me... especially when doing multiple selection. If I copy 3-4 entities, on various layers, they all move to the 'current' layer when pasted.
0
User avatar
bmike 
 

Re: Copy retains Layers

Postby pbacot » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:15 pm

Mike,

Why are you copying these objects? Is this because there is no duplicate function (other than option-move)? When I have a grid layer for example, I control it by having the layer visible on those pages that need it, as I suppose you do. But let's say I need the grid in another location for a plan because of some conflict. I would produce a new layer, then copy and paste the grid into the new layer. I would make that layer active for the paste. This is how I might do a paste in CAD, Photoshop, etc.

[Edit: I have to correct myself here. In SU the layer IS saved with the entity. However Layer usage in SU is different in layer usage from other applications.]

If you want the object in the original layer (regardless of current layer) option-move does that.

Again, I have the view that LO works correctly, just that there are few options and controls for these sort of things. For example in CAD--if I want-- I can paste "through layers" meaning objects go back to their original layer designation, handy for copying multiple objects from one drawing to another with the same layer setup (or it will create the needed layers).

Chant:LO Ruby, LO Ruby, LO Ruby, LO Ruby...

Peter
0
Last edited by pbacot on Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MacOSX Mojave ShetchUp Pro v19 Twilight Pro v2 M2 Kerkythea PowerCADD
User avatar
pbacot 
Top SketchUcator
 

Re: Copy retains Layers

Postby ArCAD-UK » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:45 pm

I'm with Mike. The existing arrangement can quickly mess up any layer management. I now only have three layers 1. Paper, 2. Viewports, 3. Notes. I used to have a similar layer setup to Mike but until we can pre-assign layers (& properties) to entities I found I was wasting too much time moving entities onto their "correct" layer. I still have fun making sure my viewports & notes remain separate.
0

ArCAD-UK 
 

Re: Copy retains Layers

Postby bmike » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:10 pm

pbacot wrote:Mike,

Why are you copying these objects? Is this because there is no duplicate function (other than option-move)? When I have a grid layer for example, I control it by having the layer visible on those pages that need it, as I suppose you do. But let's say I need the grid in another location for a plan because of some conflict. I would produce a new layer, then copy and paste the grid into the new layer. I would make that layer active for the paste. This is how I might do a paste in CAD, Photoshop, etc.

[Edit: I have to correct myself here. In SU the layer IS saved with the entity. However Layer usage in SU is different in layer usage from other applications.]

If you want the object in the original layer (regardless of current layer) option-move does that.

Again, I have the view that LO works correctly, just that there are few options and controls for these sort of things. For example in CAD--if I want-- I can paste "through layers" meaning objects go back to their original layer designation, handy for copying multiple objects from one drawing to another with the same layer setup (or it will create the needed layers).

Chant:LO Ruby, LO Ruby, LO Ruby, LO Ruby...

Peter


I do use the 'On every Page' option for a few things - but my grids tend to flip and flop around.
Then my notes are usually similar / the same - but in different locations on each page.
Dimensions are unique to each page.
Same with part numbers, member sizes, detail call outs, etc.

I use Option-Move (don't get me started on that cluster) to move things within the page.
What I'm talking about here is from page to page. Or document to document.

Why wouldn't they act the same?
Copy Paste from page to page is different than Option-Move (creating a copy, on the same page).
Odd.


I also like to grab multiples from a sheet (I have a template setup with 2-3 pages, and then duplicate sheets once I get going). So being able to grave 3-4-8-10 items and have them retain layers would seem logical, instead of dumping them onto whatever layer I happen to be on.



But, I guess it is mindset as well.

For me, working in paper space, items should have their own layer to control visibility.
And that layer, once assigned, should stick with that item, much like copy-move. Just because I'm flipping the page, doesn't mean I want to alter the onion skin layer of my drawing, which controls visibility and 'stacking'...
0
User avatar
bmike 
 

Re: Copy retains Layers

Postby pbacot » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:21 pm

I have to agree: there should be some reconsideration on what they are doing with pages and layers!
0
MacOSX Mojave ShetchUp Pro v19 Twilight Pro v2 M2 Kerkythea PowerCADD
User avatar
pbacot 
Top SketchUcator
 

Re: Copy retains Layers

Postby utiler » Thu Jul 26, 2012 2:36 am

ArCAD-UK wrote:I'm with Mike. The existing arrangement can quickly mess up any layer management. I now only have three layers 1. Paper, 2. Viewports, 3. Notes. I used to have a similar layer setup to Mike but until we can pre-assign layers (& properties) to entities I found I was wasting too much time moving entities onto their "correct" layer. I still have fun making sure my viewports & notes remain separate.


I'm with Mike and ArCAD-UK...... consider this:

You create a multitude of scrapbook elements to use in documentation. Currently you need to be on the you want elements to reside on in order to drag them into the drawing which is the biggest pain in the &^%$#$! Layout gives you!! What's the point of putting any data in Scrapbook on ANY layer at all if this is the case. You shouldn't have to continually layer hop before adding data to a drawing. It is monotonous and way too time consuming....
1
purpose/expression/purpose/....
User avatar
utiler 
Top SketchUcator
 

Re: Copy retains Layers

Postby ArCAD-UK » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:42 am

What I would like to see in LO to help with the OP is a means to "move to a specific layer" rather than just the "current layer" and ideally a means of selecting/filtering specific entitites e.g. text or dimensions on the current or all layers so they can be moved to the right layer.
0

ArCAD-UK 
 

Re: Copy retains Layers

Postby Sonder » Thu Jul 26, 2012 6:28 pm

utiler wrote:
ArCAD-UK wrote:I'm with Mike. The existing arrangement can quickly mess up any layer management. I now only have three layers 1. Paper, 2. Viewports, 3. Notes. I used to have a similar layer setup to Mike but until we can pre-assign layers (& properties) to entities I found I was wasting too much time moving entities onto their "correct" layer. I still have fun making sure my viewports & notes remain separate.


I'm with Mike and ArCAD-UK...... consider this:

You create a multitude of scrapbook elements to use in documentation. Currently you need to be on the you want elements to reside on in order to drag them into the drawing which is the biggest pain in the &^%$#$! Layout gives you!! What's the point of putting any data in Scrapbook on ANY layer at all if this is the case. You shouldn't have to continually layer hop before adding data to a drawing. It is monotonous and way too time consuming....



OK this is an excellent point regarding scrapbooks especially. I see now that what I like about it should be the option not the standard.
1

Sonder 
Premium Member
Premium Member
 

Re: Copy retains Layers

Postby utiler » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:29 am

I think if we can have layer management sorted in both SketchUp and Layout in the next version, I think everyone would appreciate the change far more than things like Solid tools, Advanced camera tools....
:thumb:
0
purpose/expression/purpose/....
User avatar
utiler 
Top SketchUcator
 

Re: Copy retains Layers

Postby Richard » Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:47 am

Amen to better layer management! No layering in groups is one of the biggest pains to deal with!
1
User avatar
Richard 
 

Re: Copy retains Layers

Postby marcdurant » Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:28 pm

Hi all-

For LayOut 2016, we added a few features mentioned in this thread:

1) Copy/paste now preserves the layer assignments of the selected entities. There's also a new "Paste to current layer" command which is approximates the older behavior. Both of these commands are accessible with shortcuts.

2) Groups can now contain objects on multiple layers

3) A new context menu that provides a command to "Move to layer...", which allows you to move the selection to the current layer or any other layer in the document.

Cheers,
Marc
3

marcdurant 
SketchUp Team
SketchUp Team
 

Re: Copy retains Layers

Postby utiler » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:04 am

Certainly a good move, Marc!!
0
purpose/expression/purpose/....
User avatar
utiler 
Top SketchUcator
 

Re: Copy retains Layers

Postby Richard » Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:08 am

The Gods have answered!

Wow this is seriously good news!
0
User avatar
Richard 
 

Re: Copy retains Layers

Postby JQL » Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:38 pm

Those simple yet excellent features!
0
User avatar
JQL 
Premium Member
Premium Member
 

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago



Ad Machine 
Robot
 



 

Return to LayOut Feature Requests

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

Visit our sponsors: