Scaling from Cad

The ideal place for beginners to get help using SketchUp

Scaling from Cad

Postby Scotty T » Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:24 am

Does anyone know when we open a cad model in Sketchup that it is 10 times larger in scale than what is supposed to be? And what are the settings to fix?

Scotty T 

Re: Scaling from Cad

Postby Scotty T » Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:24 am

Whoop...never mind...needed to import as a 3ds from cad also.

Scotty T 

Postby robmoors » Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:24 am

I have had the opposite happen to me I exported to dwg but the format scale was 1000 times off, changing my units from meters to mm helped there :P
Rob Moors
Architecture Student

robmoors 

Postby modelhead » Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:25 am

The dfx files that I import always blow up. I have to resize them to .0833333333. (I think I have too many 3s'). The interesting thing is that 1 inch to the dfx is 1 foot to sketchup. At least it is consistent and so once I knew the relative scales it was easy to resize. I also found that it was an advantage to position the model to 0.0 in SU (if you know in advance where 0.0 and the position of the base point is in the native 3d app.) before it was exported back to the native cad engine it came from. In all cases the model came back dead-on in position with the other components of the application it was being rendered with. In this case the application is a set of design tools used by home builders contractors and architects. It is a 3d tool but it is mainly component based to make it easier and quicker to build and then creat a bill-of material. The models that I build must have the proper math with them and must be positioned correctly or the application fails of course. Anyway, even if it starts out the wrong scale, the good news is that SU can fix it.

modelhead 

Postby juju » Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:25 am

offtopic: Bruce, I really like your new avatar, those candyapples ROCK!

Scaling can be a problem, fortunately I haven't had too many problems with this though.
Save the Earth, it's the only planet with chocolate.
juju 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby modelhead » Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:26 am

Hey Juju...they are tasty looking arn't they. Just want to bite into one.
Cheers!!

modelhead 

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago

Ad Machine 
Robot

Return to Newbie Forum