Clip Names

General discussion about Animator for SketchUp

Clip Names

Postby Rich O Brien » Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:24 pm

Fredo,

Why do clip insertion names go from Rotation_1 to Rotation_4? What's the purpose of skipping by 3?
There's a frontroom and a backroom....reverse faces
Rich O Brien 
Administrator

Re: Clip Names

Postby ntxdave » Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:30 pm

Rich O Brien wrote:Fredo,

Why do clip insertion names go from Rotation_1 to Rotation_4? What's the purpose of skipping by 3?

Interesting question Rich. Just out of curiosity, did you create other types of sequences in between (like a translation or a spin)? Got to be some logic to it but since you mention it, I think I recall seeing something similar to that before. Will have to watch that a little closer.
ntxdave 

Postby fredo6 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:27 pm

Rich O Brien wrote:Fredo,

I have a single numbering counter for all objects.
Actually when you create a sequence or clip you create several objects.
In any case it's really advised to give names to what you create.

Fredo
fredo6 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby ntxdave » Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:44 pm

Fredo, that is pretty much what I guessed. Unless I am just playing around/testing, I try to give them all names that will mean something to me later.

That is also one of the reasons why I would like to see the layer control both turn on and turn off the layer so that I do not have to add 2 controls and then have to look at a bunch of controls if I have multiple layer controls in a single module. Since I cannot direct where the controls show up in the panel, I would like to be able to them together. Makes later editing a little cleaner (IMO).
ntxdave 

Clip Names

Postby Rich O Brien » Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:09 pm

Thanks Fredo.

My query came from wanting some means to have preset naming patterns other than the default.

%transformation_%axis_%value_%object-%00seq

This would auto name the clip to Rot_X_90_Wheel-001

With Animator adding 3 for each new addition it made me question the current convention
Rich O Brien 
Administrator

Postby fredo6 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:54 pm

Rich

Everything is feasible. The small issue is that
- objects are created before you assign a movement type.
- and in addition, you can change the parameters at any time, so rot_90 may become meaningless or inadequate.
- clips can contain anything, so cannot rely on the naming of what they contain.

If it is of importance, I can manage a more sequential naming, but once a name is assigned, it should not change.

Fredo
fredo6 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby Rich O Brien » Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:47 pm

What if the Unit Movement picking allowed us to set the transformation type prior to object picking.

I know when I add a New Movement which transformation I need so I could pick Rot | Loc | Sca | Spin | Exp then in the next editor area I'm limited to picking objects or applying already set transformations to the picked object.

grab_03_06_2016_002.png

There's likely flaws is this thought I've yet to trap for.... :P
Rich O Brien 
Administrator

Postby fredo6 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:00 pm

Currently, a new movement or camera gets the proper name by default, unless you change it.

When you open the Movement Editor, the sequence is named "Movement_X". But as soon as you select which type of transformation, say a Translation, the name becomes "Translation_X". However, if you exit the editor with the saved sequence, the name remains "translation_X", even if you later change it to be a rotation.

The issue I raised is about that and the inclusion of parameters in the name. That's why it's a good habit to give your own name to sequences. Similar to what we should all do with the naming of Groups and Components in Sketchup.

What I can do anyway is to have a consistent numbering, so that the second translation created is named "Translation_2" by default.

Fredo
fredo6 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago

Ad Machine 
Robot

Return to Animator Beta