Skatter Issues

General discusson for Skatter for SketchUp

Moderator: jiminy-billy-bob

Skatter Issues

Postby troywcurry » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:54 pm

Hi Everyone,

I downloaded the Skatter 1.3 demo, and have been having multiple crashes. The models I have been working on are of residential properties, and I'm trying to create the lawn and trees. The grass from the Skatter library seems to crash SketchUp every time I attempt to render in Vray 3.4b. I get windows errors telling me to close programs to free up memory. My system has 32Gb, so I'm not really sure why it's having such an issue.

Any help would be appreciated!

troywcurry 

Re: Skatter Issues

Postby Rich O Brien » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:42 pm

It could be your Skatter is too intense.

How big an area and what are your Skatter settings?
There's a frontroom and a backroom....reverse faces
Rich O Brien 
Administrator

Postby troywcurry » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:36 am

The visible area is about one acre. I'm using the cut grass preset from the library without any changes.

troywcurry 

Postby jiminy-billy-bob » Fri Jan 13, 2017 11:43 am

Open the Windows Task Manager. How is RAM usage when you use Skatter? Does Sketchup max out your 32GB of RAM?
jiminy-billy-bob 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby troywcurry » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:17 pm

When trying to work with the grass preset, yes. The RAM maxes out and the system comes to a halt.

What would be a recommended amount of RAM for working with large areas in Skatter? I suppose I could upgrade to 64Gb or 128Gb, but honestly thought that would have been overkill when I built the system.

troywcurry 

Postby jiminy-billy-bob » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:10 pm

32GB should be plenty enough for covering an acre. There's definitely something wrong here. Can you send me the file to support@getskatter.com
jiminy-billy-bob 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby NigeC » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:39 am

I had a go last night and I don't get the not responding message after a period of time like we used to
for me it was going for a minute and I quit SU in the task manager but it was only 4gb or something
“It’s only impossible if you stop and think about it!”
NigeC 

Postby baz » Sun Jan 15, 2017 2:06 am

A possible simple cause is the one that caught me out. Not having 'Render only" ticked.
I am not an early bird or a night owl, I am some form of permanently exhausted pidgeon.
baz 

Postby troywcurry » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:09 pm

Hey everyone. Thanks so much for taking the time to reply to my issue. My appologies for not responding again sooner. I'm not entirely sure what fixed it, but my renders seem to be working out ok now. I'm loving skatter!

troywcurry 

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago

Ad Machine 
Robot

Return to Skatter