[Q] Save Skatter Results

General discusson for Skatter for SketchUp

Moderator: jiminy-billy-bob

[Q] Save Skatter Results

Postby Bob James » Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:06 am

I've taken a subset of my master model's typography and Skattered some trees on it. I tried "selecting all", copying and pasting, but lost the trees.

I've also tried exporting the result as a Thea Scene, but that also loses the skattered trees.

Is there any way to save the skattered result so I can re-use it in my master drawing?

Update

I also tried saving into the Library custom paths, but could find nothing in the folder that it was "saved" to that looked like it had anything to do with Skatter
i7-4930K 3.4Ghz, 2x GTX780 6GB, 32GB DDR3-1600 ECC, OCZ Vertex 4 500GB, WD Black 3TB, 32TB NAS, 4x 27" Monitors, SpaceMouse Pro, X-keys XK-60
Bob James 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: [Q] Save Skatter Results

Postby jiminy-billy-bob » Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:10 pm

You have two options:

1. Create a small surface. Edit your Skatter setup, remove the hosts and pick the newly created surface. The generate in normal mode (not render only). This will create a group in your model that you can then copy/paste along with your original surface. Once pasted in the new model, right click your Skatter group and click "Edit Skatter Group". Skatter will complain that it can't find the surface anymore, just pick it again, and now you can regenerate with Render Only.

2. Save your setup as a preset in the Library. Copy/paste your surface in your new model, then load your preset from the library and pick your surface.
jiminy-billy-bob 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby Bob James » Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:28 pm

jiminy-billy-bob wrote:2. Save your setup as a preset in the Library. Copy/paste your surface in your new model, then load your preset from the library and pick your surface.

What is the library file called? I don't see it in the folder in which it was supposedly saved.

library.JPG

Path.JPG
i7-4930K 3.4Ghz, 2x GTX780 6GB, 32GB DDR3-1600 ECC, OCZ Vertex 4 500GB, WD Black 3TB, 32TB NAS, 4x 27" Monitors, SpaceMouse Pro, X-keys XK-60
Bob James 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby jiminy-billy-bob » Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:21 am

When you save a preset, Skatter creates a .sklib file along .skp files (the scattered objects saved as components).
Example with two scattered objects :
- preset.sklib
- preset1.skp
- preset2.skp
jiminy-billy-bob 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby Bob James » Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:00 pm

Then why are there no "preset" files in the folder shown in the "Library Custom Path"?
Bob James 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby jiminy-billy-bob » Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:18 pm

"preset" was just for the example, the files will have the name you give it when you save it.
Are there any .sklib file in there?

Don't you see your preset in Skatter Library browser in Sketchup?
jiminy-billy-bob 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago

Ad Machine 
Robot

Return to Skatter