[REQ][BUG] Skatter on displaced surface

General discusson for Skatter for SketchUp

Moderator: jiminy-billy-bob

[REQ][BUG] Skatter on displaced surface

Postby JQL » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:28 pm

Well Jiminy I know you said no more Requests, but this might have more to do with the render engine calculation, than work on your own side.

I was skattering your tall grass on a ocean surface. The idea was to try spreading water splashes on the top of waves using skatter.

The thing is that this ocean surface is flat in Sketchup and displaced at render time to create the waves...

1 - This is a simple yet though model but my Titan X handles it very well. However, since I skatterd the objects on that surface, as soon as I hit render button I got a Sketchup bugsplat.

2 - second try I saved the model after skattering just so I'd save settings and it didn't bugsplat.

3 - What I was trying to test was if skatter/thea would be able to calculate the relative Z placement of the skattered objects taking displacement into account. Is there any chance this would be possible to implement? Maybe a question for Tomasz?
0
User avatar
JQL 
Premium Member
Premium Member
 

Re: [REQ][BUG] Skatter on displaced surface

Postby jiminy-billy-bob » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:47 pm

JQL wrote:1 - This is a simple yet though model but my Titan X handles it very well. However, since I skatterd the objects on that surface, as soon as I hit render button I got a Sketchup bugsplat.
2 - second try I saved the model after skattering just so I'd save settings and it didn't bugsplat.

Weird, let me know if it happens again. Also if it happens at render time, I suspect it's Thea related, not Skatter related.

JQL wrote:3 - What I was trying to test was if skatter/thea would be able to calculate the relative Z placement of the skattered objects taking displacement into account. Is there any chance this would be possible to implement? Maybe a question for Tomasz?

This will be possible when I introduce transformations based on bitmaps. This is planned, but don't expect this too soon.
I guess you have a displacement map with the tip of the waves as white? Then in Skatter, you'll be able to translate in Z (or other X, or Y, or rotate, etc), base on this same map.
0
User avatar
jiminy-billy-bob 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author
 

Re: [REQ][BUG] Skatter on displaced surface

Postby JQL » Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:26 am

jiminy-billy-bob wrote:I guess you have a displacement map with the tip of the waves as white? Then in Skatter, you'll be able to translate in Z (or other X, or Y, or rotate, etc), base on this same map.


Wow, that is cool! But how will you implement that inside sketchup?

You can only have one channel texture for diffuse. Will you allow us to use a second map? Will we be able to use it inside an area group, for instance?
0
User avatar
JQL 
Premium Member
Premium Member
 

Re: [REQ][BUG] Skatter on displaced surface

Postby jiminy-billy-bob » Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:45 am

I think I will allow two modes :

- Planar projection mode : You set an axis, the tiling/rotation/offset, and Skatter projects points based on that. It's kind of a second channel, although you won't have much freedom on how the map is applied.
- UV mode : Skatter simply reads the UV from SU faces and internally replaces the current texture with the specified map.
0
User avatar
jiminy-billy-bob 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author
 

Re: [REQ][BUG] Skatter on displaced surface

Postby JQL » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:02 pm

jiminy-billy-bob wrote:I think I will allow two modes :

- Planar projection mode : You set an axis, the tiling/rotation/offset, and Skatter projects points based on that. It's kind of a second channel, although you won't have much freedom on how the map is applied.
- UV mode : Skatter simply reads the UV from SU faces and internally replaces the current texture with the specified map.


I guess both would work if we would be able to use the texture inside the area group and not the surface texture.

It's very easy to match the texture applied to the surface into the area group for UV mode.

It's very hard to have a perfect match of that "placement map" if our surface has a tiled texture applied to it.
0
User avatar
JQL 
Premium Member
Premium Member
 

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago



Ad Machine 
Robot
 



 

Return to Skatter

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

Visit our sponsors: