[RELEASE] Alpha 0.0.11

General discusson for Skatter for SketchUp

Moderator: jiminy-billy-bob

[RELEASE] Alpha 0.0.11

Postby jiminy-billy-bob » Wed May 27, 2015 2:14 pm

Alpha 0.0.11

Don't forget to restart Sketchup after install.

Changelog:
  • Added Library
  • Added toolbar
  • Added duplicating group/setup
  • Added updating setups from render list
  • Added picking cursors
  • Fixed adding same object several times
  • Fixed mirroring+slope
  • Fixed camera visibility limit when using clipping distance

To install the library, unzip it in C:\ProgramData\Skatter
The library only has one item for now, I will obviously add more in the future. But for now, I need you guys to test if it works ok, and if you have any comment or feedback.

If you use Thea, you will need the latest version that Tomasz released today, to get the library-generated setups to work (it has to do with proxy names).

If needed, same serial as before : 6sblp-7GdCN-Z1Y3X-E0O4a
jiminy-billy-bob 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Re: [RELEASE] Alpha 0.0.11

Postby JQL » Wed May 27, 2015 3:02 pm

Thanks!

This is getting better and better!
JQL 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby solo » Wed May 27, 2015 3:09 pm

Looking good, like the toolbar and now it does not have dialogue on start up. Thanks.
http://www.solos-art.com

If you see a toilet in your dreams do not use it.
solo 
Global Moderator

Postby andybot » Wed May 27, 2015 3:27 pm

just to confirm - this installs right over the previous version, or do I need to remove the preovous one first?

Did you fix the vray version issue? There's an updated beta from May 8th, do you know if it has any of the xml processing fixes that had been discussed? I did a quick test the other day and it seemed like the time to start rendering was somewhat quicker. (Still a bit slower, I just checked again, I think it was over 2 minutes last time, and this time it was about 40 sec.)

Andy
my blog featuring recent projects
andybot 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby jiminy-billy-bob » Wed May 27, 2015 3:44 pm

andybot wrote:this installs right over the previous version

Yep.

andybot wrote:Did you fix the vray version issue? There's an updated beta from May 8th

I added the versions you gave me last time. What's the version number of this one?

andybot wrote:do you know if it has any of the xml processing fixes that had been discussed?

I have no idea, I haven't heard from Chaos Group.
jiminy-billy-bob 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby andybot » Wed May 27, 2015 4:36 pm

jiminy-billy-bob wrote:
andybot wrote:Did you fix the vray version issue? There's an updated beta from May 8th

I added the versions you gave me last time. What's the version number of this one?

guess I'll just edit the rb again? Not a big deal since it's a small audience who doesn't have the regular release versions :)
andybot 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby JQL » Wed May 27, 2015 5:04 pm

So... one clicks on the icon on the Library, one clicks the surface, one clicks render and that's it? How beautiful can it get? Play a bit with scale and density and this is what you get:

skatter library tall grass rendered by thea on sketchup window 4k (reduced).jpeg

I couldn't post the original image not even zipped as it is 11.700Mb.
JQL 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby andybot » Wed May 27, 2015 5:16 pm

getting a ruby error right when opening attached file (that had previous skatter setup):

Code: Select all
---- Skatter ----
Error: #<NoMethodError: undefined method `[]' for nil:NilClass>
C:/Users/Andy2954/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/jbb_skatter/rb/methods.rb:586:in `block in refresh'
C:/Users/Andy2954/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/jbb_skatter/rb/methods.rb:581:in `each_pair'
C:/Users/Andy2954/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/jbb_skatter/rb/methods.rb:581:in `refresh'
C:/Users/Andy2954/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/jbb_skatter/rb/methods.rb:572:in `refresh_from_attributes'
C:/Users/Andy2954/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/jbb_skatter/rb/methods.rb:455:in `block (2 levels) in startup'
C:/Users/Andy2954/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/jbb_skatter/rb/methods.rb:453:in `each'
C:/Users/Andy2954/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2015/SketchUp/Plugins/jbb_skatter/rb/methods.rb:453:in `block in startup'
SketchUp:1:in `call'

No error when I copy the geometry to a new file and make a new skatter. Not a big deal if it's just a backwards compatibility thing, but figured I'd post it.

Bigger deal (I thought it was connected to the first, but it's not, happens in a clean file as well.) is a crash when I try to load a skatter from the library. I can load the skatter, but as soon as I go to pick the surface, SU freezes. I was able to see the error message in the console after SU froze, and copied it down:

Code: Select all
ERROR: skpHelperClasses.rb:updateSkpMaterial, unable to find a material called skatter_grass_03_base2
andybot 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Pixero » Wed May 27, 2015 5:32 pm

Just tested the preset on a 66 m wide terrain and got a SU bugsplat. :(
All default values.
SU2015 64bit on Windows 8.1.

Will try more.
Pixero 

Postby Pixero » Wed May 27, 2015 5:55 pm

Happened again. Boom SU bug splat's.

Tried now with just a small plane 7 m wide.
It seems nothing happened after clicking on the surface once.
Clicking the surface again makes it crash.
Pixero 

Postby Pixero » Wed May 27, 2015 5:56 pm

update. Now it crashed just after one click on surface.
Pixero 

Postby jiminy-billy-bob » Wed May 27, 2015 5:58 pm

I just realised the presets are using meter values. If you guys are using other units in your models, you'll get unexpected results.
I'll fix it.

Maybe that's why you have crashes, Pixero.

Thanks Andy for your file, I'll take a look at it.
jiminy-billy-bob 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby Pixero » Wed May 27, 2015 6:01 pm

I'm using millimeters. But plane was 7000 mm.
Pixero 

Postby caecarvalho » Wed May 27, 2015 6:22 pm

Pixero wrote:I'm using millimeters. But plane was 7000 mm.

If you use the model from library, the units on the distribution (uniform type) change to 0.2, wich will be a very small number if you are using milimiters in SU. I was having crashes because of this. You just need to change the spacing parameter to a higher number (above 100 or 200).

Great update jbb!! :thumb:

caecarvalho 

Postby andybot » Wed May 27, 2015 6:49 pm

yep, crash seemed to be related to units. Working ok with Meters. Like caecarvalho mentions, works OK to adjust the spacing much higher before picking surface if working in another unit. Still getting the skpMaterial error, but doesn't seem to be problem to use skatter. Looking good!
andybot 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby JQL » Wed May 27, 2015 8:02 pm

I got some bug splats too because I was:

- Randomly selecting geometry and skattering on a group with vertical faces;

- Clicking on render without hitting the regenerate first after having changed some parameters on a previously existing skatter;

- Something else that I can't remember what because it was very fast...

I'll keep trying to break things but in the meantime I already have some FR :? :

- Allow us to create libraries;

- Allow for Skatter Combos by selecting several (with ctrl, shift, ctrl+shift or rectangle select), hitting apply button and then selecting the surface; Now it's really easy but that way it would be even more impressive! I can only imagine a Youtube video in wich you'd create a Sketchup forest with one click;

- Have library combos ready made applicable with one click of a button;

- Allow us to create combos for the library;

- When applying a render only skatter from library (or a render only combo), Auto Regenerate. I tend to forget clicking on Regenerate after applying the skatter from the library as it all feels finished as soon as we see the preview. I think I got a bug splat by hitting without clicking on regenerate. No harm will be done if it regenerates, but it's a shame to loose the skatter if you forget to regenerate. Specially if the skatter takes very long to compute;

- If you consider combos, consider also moving the options on the icons to a top and static menu, so we can easily manage those combos or by preselecting the options and then hit the desired skatters;

- Right now the icon UI is looking cool so consider the above remark only with combos. Though it's looking good, it's not very clean on my 4K monitor because of Win8 resizing fonts and windows to compensate for bigger dpi as in the following image:

library 4k monitor.jpeg
JQL 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby caecarvalho » Thu May 28, 2015 1:10 pm

Hi jbb,

I haven't tested yet, but is it possible to add our own models to the library? I see that there's a SKLIB file. Is this a skatter generated file?

caecarvalho 

Postby jiminy-billy-bob » Thu May 28, 2015 1:15 pm

Not yet.

The *.sklib files are just text files I create manually (for now)

Thanks JQL for your feedback.
jiminy-billy-bob 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby JQL » Thu May 28, 2015 1:58 pm

jiminy-billy-bob wrote:Thanks JQL for your feedback.

It will never be enough, comparing with the quality of the tool you put in our hands!
JQL 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby valerostudio » Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:24 pm

Yeah, we have to increase the values of the distribution of library models to take into account the users who are not metric. If I dont adjust them first, it crashes SU.

valerostudio 

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago

Ad Machine 
Robot

Return to Skatter