[REQ] Something like the forest object is possible?

General discusson for Skatter for SketchUp

Moderator: jiminy-billy-bob

[REQ] Something like the forest object is possible?

Postby caecarvalho » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:15 pm

Hi jbb,

I was wondering if it's possible to have something like the forest object(Forest Pack Pro)?

I'll explain myself:

I noticed that when I create a skatter in the render mode, there's the previews (red bounding boxes), wich desapear from the viewport when I close the plugin. I know that it still renders but you don't know if there's a skatter applied to a surface untill you open the plugin.

I know it would be heavy in the viewport to have those previews all the time, specily in a very large scene... But would be nice to be able to have something on the scene (like the big F in Forest Pack), that indicates a skatter applied to a surface even with the plugin closed. And maybe if ou click this 'Skatter object' it would open the plugin and you would be able to edit that skatter.

I hope I explained well,

cheers,

cae
Last edited by caecarvalho on Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

caecarvalho 

Re: [REQ] Something like the forest objec is possible?

Postby caecarvalho » Mon Mar 30, 2015 4:26 pm

Something like this (see the attachment):
In FPP you can scale the icon...

caecarvalho 

Postby jiminy-billy-bob » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:17 pm

I'm not sure I want to add geometry to the model. But I will add a toggle button to preview all or some Skatter setups.
jiminy-billy-bob 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby JQL » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:37 pm

:thumb:
jiminy-billy-bob wrote:I'm not sure I want to add geometry to the model. But I will add a toggle button to preview all or some Skatter setups.
JQL 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby caecarvalho » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:25 pm

Actually this "S" Would represent a complete set of skatter, and not each instance scattered.
For instance, if I have a surface like 10X10 meters and have some grass clumps, some flowers and trees, composing this scatter, this "S" would represent the complete skatter set.(Not an "S" for each instanced object). This could be toggled on or off if one's wish to not have this geometry on the scene...And if you click the "S" you could edit that specific scatter. This way, the amount of geometry added to the scene would be minimal, and you would be able to access these scatters trought the outliner if you want.
This is what happens in FPP now...you have each scatter or forest object listed in the outliner, and you can choose whether you want it to show as the real mesh, boxes or other primitives, point clouds or that "F".

I'm just complementing the idea, cause maybe my first explanation wasn't too clear! But it's just an idea!

Anyway the plugin is already amazing, this is just a small thing!! :thumb:

Thanks for the reply guys!

caecarvalho 

Postby jiminy-billy-bob » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:29 pm

Yes, I use Forest Pack a lot for my job, I know very well how it works.

But still, I don't like plugins adding unnecessary geometry to the model. I don't want to do that with Skatter.
jiminy-billy-bob 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby caecarvalho » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:22 pm

jiminy-billy-bob wrote:Yes, I use Forest Pack a lot for my job, I know very well how it works.

But still, I don't like plugins adding unnecessary geometry to the model. I don't want to do that with Skatter.

Sorry jbb, didn't mean to be insistent...
I understand your point. It's always good to not add unnecessary geometry in SU. Actually my sugestion was because in some scenes with lots of skatter objects the viewport gets a bit slow when zooming. But I just saw in another post that JQL sugested some other types of previews(not made with geometry), like points or even point clouds.
Would be nice to give the user a possibility to choose the 'red lines' (that show up when there's no object selected) instead of the boxes as a preview.

caecarvalho 

Postby jiminy-billy-bob » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:25 pm

caecarvalho wrote:Sorry jbb, didn't mean to be insistent...

Sorry, it's sometime difficult to interpret the writer's mood on the internet. I didn't want to sound harsh ;)
jiminy-billy-bob 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Re: [REQ] Something like the forest object is possible?

Postby caecarvalho » Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:46 pm

Sorry, it's sometime difficult to interpret the writer's mood on the internet. I didn't want to sound harsh ;)

:thumb: :thumb:

caecarvalho 

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago

Ad Machine 
Robot

Return to Skatter