[RELEASE] Alpha 0.0.8

General discusson for Skatter for SketchUp

Moderator: jiminy-billy-bob

[RELEASE] Alpha 0.0.8

Postby jiminy-billy-bob » Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:44 pm

Alpha 0.0.8

Don't forget to restart Sketchup after install.

Changelog:
  • Added surface boundaries as include area
  • Added area boundary check by size and distance
  • Added checkboxes to invert area falloffs (to create stripes around area's borders)
  • Added abbility to rename surfaces
  • Added icons next to surface name to differentiate their types

Using two Skatter setups, we can now create these kind of things. Big grass patches for large areas, and small patches for a nice clean border.

- The first setup uses the large grass patch, with Area Boundary Check set to "Size" so that the patches don't overlap with the area boundary. But this creates holes at the border, so we need the second setup :
- The second setup uses the small grass patch, with Area Boundary Check also set to "Size", but with a distance falloff of 0.5m and inverted.

No additionnal area was used, I just leaved "Use surface boundaries as include area" checked.

jiminy-billy-bob 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Re: [RELEASE] Alpha 0.0.8

Postby Pixero » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:20 pm

That looks great. Must try it ASAP.
Another question/request:
Would it be possible to use this technique to use different sized patches if the terrain is curved like if a large piece of grass would be sticking out into the air if the terrain shifts from a slope up to a plain.
Pixero 

Postby jiminy-billy-bob » Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:39 pm

Pixero wrote:That looks great. Must try it ASAP.
Another question/request:
Would it be possible to use this technique to use different sized patches if the terrain is curved like if a large piece of grass would be sticking out into the air if the terrain shifts from a slope up to a plain.

You would need to split the slope and the plain into two seperate surfaces (But you can use both in the same Skatter setup)
jiminy-billy-bob 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby JQL » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:16 pm

Excellent! Excellent!

jiminy-billy-bob wrote:[*]Added surface boundaries as include area

Until now I was creating a special area group for this boundary...

jiminy-billy-bob wrote:[*]Added checkboxes to invert area falloffs (to create stripes around area's borders)

I was going to file a request for this feature as I wanted to have taller grass against walls and trees, where it's harder to cut. So I will request something even more complex.

Use the insertion points of a previously generated skatter as areas for another skatter. We could include grass around rocks, mushrooms beneath trees... Whatever.
JQL 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby jiminy-billy-bob » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:14 pm

JQL wrote:Use the insertion points of a previously generated skatter as areas for another skatter. We could include grass around rocks, mushrooms beneath trees... Whatever.

Yes, this is already on my todo list (I need to update the one posted here btw), but I'm not sure that this will make it to the first public release.
jiminy-billy-bob 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby valerostudio » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:31 pm

You are a mad man genius!

valerostudio 

Postby JQL » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:45 pm

jiminy-billy-bob wrote:Yes, this is already on my todo list (I need to update the one posted here btw), but I'm not sure that this will make it to the first public release.

Damn, either I'm thinking of it and you've already done it, or you have it in the list... Always one step behind! That's good news!
JQL 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby jiminy-billy-bob » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:55 pm

To be fair, the idea comes from Forest Pack :D
jiminy-billy-bob 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby JQL » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:34 pm

Ah... Incredible good looking plugin! I wish I had something of the sort for sketchup :?
JQL 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby duanekemp » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:30 am

Thanks for the continued work on this.
Duane Kemp

Kemp Productions
Puidoux, Switzerland
Gallery:
https://duanekemp.artstation.com/
duanekemp 

Postby caecarvalho » Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:13 pm

Thanks for including me in the group jbb! I'll play with the plugin on the weekend and try to post some work next week!

Best,

caetano

caecarvalho 

Postby andybot » Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:00 pm

brilliant jbb!! I've been itching to try the latest update, but have just been swamped for months with other responsibilities. Looking forward to giving it a whirl this weekend.

Andy
my blog featuring recent projects
andybot 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby caecarvalho » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:00 pm

Hi jbb,

Just doing my first tests(couldn't wait till the weekend) and really impressed with the ui! It's like forest pack or multscatter! Lot's of options!
I'm having some problems though...

I can't get the geometry to show in the renders using the render mode... I get this error in the ruby console:

==== V-Ray for SketchUp =====
Done processing compdefs - Elapsed time: 0.131

Scene processed in 0.153 seconds
undefined method `keys' for #<Array:0x0000001336e120> + ["C:/ProgramData/ASGVIS/VfS/Ruby/VfSExport.rb:1784:in `block (3 levels) in write_to_xml'", "C:/ProgramData/ASGVIS/VfS/Ruby/VfSExport.rb:1783:in `each'", "C:/ProgramData/ASGVIS/VfS/Ruby/VfSExport.rb:1783:in `block (2 levels) in write_to_xml'", "C:/ProgramData/ASGVIS/VfS/Ruby/VfSExport.rb:1782:in `each'", "C:/ProgramData/ASGVIS/VfS/Ruby/VfSExport.rb:1782:in `block in write_to_xml'", "C:/ProgramData/ASGVIS/VfS/Ruby/VfSExport.rb:1781:in `each'", "C:/ProgramData/ASGVIS/VfS/Ruby/VfSExport.rb:1781:in `write_to_xml'", "C:/ProgramData/ASGVIS/VfS/Ruby/VfSExport.rb:1980:in `start_render'", "C:/ProgramData/ASGVIS/VfS/Ruby/R2PCallbacks.rb:538:in `start_render_cb'", "C:/ProgramData/ASGVIS/VfS/Ruby/VfSExport.rb:1931:in `direct_send'", "C:/ProgramData/ASGVIS/VfS/Ruby/VfSExport.rb:1931:in `render'", "C:/ProgramData/ASGVIS/VfS/Ruby/R2P.rb:1470:in `launch_vray_render'", "C:/ProgramData/ASGVIS/VfS/Ruby/R2PToolbar.rb:30:in `block in <module:VRayForSketchUp>'", "SketchUp:1:in `call'"]

Scene fully processed in 0.260 seconds
-----

The render won't start and there's a message saying V-ray encountered some problems...

I'm using: Win 7 pro/Sketchup pro 2015 64bit/v-ray 2.00.25539 64bit

I have lot's of plugins installed as well...

Sorry if I'm repeating something but I couldn't read all the posts yet...

cheers

cae

caecarvalho 

Postby jiminy-billy-bob » Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:14 pm

Hmm, I see that the Chaos Group guys didn't follow my advice for their latest version... Devin has left the company, and he was my contact, so I guess information was lost.

To fix it until next version, open "Plugins/jbb_skatter/rb/vray.rb" with notepad and change "2.00.25244" to "2.00.25539" (or whatever vray version you have)
jiminy-billy-bob 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby Rich O Brien » Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:03 pm

Devin left :(

He was a real nice chap.
There's a frontroom and a backroom....reverse faces
Rich O Brien 
Administrator

Postby andybot » Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:10 pm

There's a couple 2015 nightly builds, I'll try it out with one of them (higher than 2.00.25244) maybe Devin did manage to stick it in there before he left. Maybe ask Fernando Rentas if he can follow any requests from here, or find whoever would be the best contact. I have his contact if you need. We can PM.

Andy
andybot 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby jiminy-billy-bob » Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:20 pm

Rich O Brien wrote:Devin left :(

He was a real nice chap.

Yeah he is!

Thanks Andy, Devin told me recently and I didn't have time to contact anybody at CG since. I'll ask Ted directly who can help with this.
jiminy-billy-bob 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby caecarvalho » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:42 pm

To fix it until next version, open "Plugins/jbb_skatter/rb/vray.rb" with notepad and change "2.00.25244" to "2.00.25539" (or whatever vray version you have)

Hi jbb, now it's working fine! :thumb:

Not much time to make tests this weekend but I'll try to post some work asap!

There's a couple 2015 nightly builds, I'll try it out with one of them (higher than 2.00.25244) maybe Devin did manage to stick it in there before he left.

Andy

Hi andy,

I believe that the built 2.00.25539 is the latest official. It's on the official download page. And there's no nightly build after this one.

Sad that Devin left, he was the most active v-ray guy on the forum...

Best,

cae

caecarvalho 

Postby andybot » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:43 pm

caecarvalho wrote:I believe that the built 2.00.25539 is the latest official. It's on the official download page. And there's no nightly build after this one.

ah, you're right. I didn't realize they updated the download page.
andybot 
Premium Member
Premium Member

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago

Ad Machine 
Robot

Return to Skatter