[REQ] Preview Bounding Box Vs Line Preview

General discusson for Skatter for SketchUp

Moderator: jiminy-billy-bob

[REQ] Preview Bounding Box Vs Line Preview

Postby JQL » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:36 pm

Jiminy,

I have a model where the box preview shows simply too much lines and also gets very slow. Could we have an option to manually set wich preview we want to see?

I'd also love to have a point preview where it generates only the insertion point. It's useful and sometimes it might be even faster.
JQL 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: [REQ] Preview Bounding Box Vs Line Preview

Postby jiminy-billy-bob » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:03 pm

JQL wrote:I have a model where the box preview shows simply too much lines and also gets very slow. Could we have an option to manually set wich preview we want to see?

Yep!

JQL wrote:I'd also love to have a point preview where it generates only the insertion point. It's useful and sometimes it might be even faster.

There are two methods to draw points:
draw(GL_POINTS) => Very fast, but we cannot control the points width. They are 1px wide, so we can barely see anything. Kind of useless.
draw_points => We can control the points width, but this is slow. Actually much slower than drawing lines with draw(GL_LINES).
That's why I used lines in the first place, because we can control the width and it is rather fast.

So I'm not sure what to do. I'll definitly make lines the actual height of the scattered objects (height of the bounding box)
jiminy-billy-bob 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby JQL » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:58 pm

jiminy-billy-bob wrote:draw(GL_POINTS) => Very fast, but we cannot control the points width. They are 1px wide, so we can barely see anything. Kind of useless.

If it is superfast I'm into it! I suppose I can manage having to zoom a bit for accuracy. The thing is that after scaling a few objects to see what I'm diving into, I'd really like to fill the ground fast with the overall feeling that the thing will be covered, then I might preview boxes or the might yet come to be pointclouds at the very end of the process.
JQL 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Pixero » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:47 am

The latest Railclone plugin for MAx seem to have a new better/faster pointcloud method.
Maybe something to look into:
http://docs.itoosoft.com/display/RAILCL ... y+Settings
Pixero 

Postby jiminy-billy-bob » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:20 am

JQL wrote:I suppose I can manage having to zoom a bit for accuracy.

Zomming won't change anything, the points would still be 1px wide. Trust me, we can't see anything with this.

As for Point Clouds, that's another issue entierly ;)
jiminy-billy-bob 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby JQL » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:46 am

I know that 1px would be relative to screen size so zooming out would make a red solid hatch, but zooming in could allow us to see through the points.

What I feel about this is that any user can easily stretch his Sketchup to the limit: either because a lot of sketchup users have low spec laptops (like me) or because even if they optimize stuff, their projects get too complex to handle (like me) or just because they want to do everything in Sketchup (like you know who...). In this cases small speed improvements might have huge impact on workflow. I often reach a point where no preview is good preview, (specially if the sun comes through my window and hits my computer) in this cases, of course, bad preview would be better than no preview.

However I do understand that too much options would be too much hassle for development and might also burden UI and I clearly trust your knowledge and better judgement.

Sorry for being a pain... :roll:
JQL 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby jiminy-billy-bob » Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:49 am

No, you're right, I should give the option. Users will decide if it's usefull for them or not.
jiminy-billy-bob 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago

Ad Machine 
Robot

Return to Skatter