[REQ] select group within component

General discusson for Skatter for SketchUp

Moderator: jiminy-billy-bob

[REQ] select group within component

Postby andybot » Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:47 am

Finally fired up 006 - it's looking really sweet! :thumb: :thumb: One thing I was wondering - is there a way to select a group that is nested within another group or component? Would be nice to have a way to pre-select maybe? What are the options here?

In this model, I had to move the terrain out of the component in order to select only the grass part (it had been part of the terrain with the driveway, etc.)

By the way, LC hung really badly on this, but BF saved the day :) Seemed to process fairly quickly thankfully. (The trees are just geometry.)
my blog featuring recent projects
andybot 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: [REQ] select group within component

Postby jiminy-billy-bob » Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:26 am

Yes, you can select groups and components (for surfaces, areas, and scattered objects) anywhere you want in the hierarchy. You can have different surfaces in different contexts, for instance.

If you generate actual geometry, the Skatter group will be generated in the active context.
jiminy-billy-bob 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby JQL » Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:52 am

... and Skatter even asks where those surfaces/areas are if you move them into other contexts. It's really well thought!
JQL 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby andybot » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:20 pm

So what I'm talking about is this: When the object I want to select as area is within another component, there doesn't seem to be a way to pick a subcomponent by double-clicking into the container. I have to open the component and start selecting when that component is open.
andybot 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby andybot » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:22 pm

also, for some reason, after I delete a group from the surfaces list, I am not able to pick and add more surfaces. If I go and edit a previous skatter, it works fine again, but after delete, selection seems missing. Nothing happening in the ruby console.
andybot 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby jiminy-billy-bob » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:44 pm

andybot wrote:So what I'm talking about is this: When the object I want to select as area is within another component, there doesn't seem to be a way to pick a subcomponent by double-clicking into the container. I have to open the component and start selecting when that component is open.

I don't really understand what the problem is. Could you explain what is it you want to do that you can't?
jiminy-billy-bob 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby jiminy-billy-bob » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:44 pm

andybot wrote:also, for some reason, after I delete a group from the surfaces list, I am not able to pick and add more surfaces. If I go and edit a previous skatter, it works fine again, but after delete, selection seems missing. Nothing happening in the ruby console.

I can't seem to reproduce this. Does it happen in every file? Any error in the ruby console?
jiminy-billy-bob 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby andybot » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:30 pm

so basically, is it just user error :?

Thus, to select a sub-group - I need to open the container group first before using the "pick surface" selector tool?
I see it is possible to use the outliner to go into the group while selector is active. Guess I'm just used to using double-click to open a group for editing.

Thus my original problem: if I try to double click on a group to open it while the pick tool is active, it just picks the top group.

There is something odd going on though with not being able to use the pick tool after deleting a group. I'll see if there are specific steps and errors to reproduce.
andybot 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby jiminy-billy-bob » Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:50 am

Like you, I never use the outliner. But the picking tools in Skatter work just like any other tool in SU when it comes to opening groups/comps. You can only do that with the selection tool, right?
jiminy-billy-bob 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby andybot » Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:29 am

Hmmm, I guess you're right, it is that way with most tools. I guess since the picker tool "feels like" the selection tool, I was wanting it to behave the same way.
andybot 
Premium Member
Premium Member

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago

Ad Machine 
Robot

Return to Skatter