[BUG] V-Ray Stops Rendering

General discusson for Skatter for SketchUp

Moderator: jiminy-billy-bob

[BUG] V-Ray Stops Rendering

Postby valerostudio » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:57 pm

I tested the latest Skatter3 using the VR proxy option and it rendered great once, then if I click R again, I see the next saying VRay Render starting, then nothing.

valerostudio 

Re: [BUG] V-Ray Stops Rendering

Postby jiminy-billy-bob » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:22 pm

Anything in the ruby console? Or in Vray's python console?

Is Sketchup responsive?

What version of Vray are you using?
jiminy-billy-bob 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby andybot » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:02 pm

Just loaded skatter 0.3. Here's my vray error from the Ruby console:

su2015 x64, windows 7, vfs sp3 (2.00.25244)

==== V-Ray for SketchUp =====
Done processing compdefs - Elapsed time: 0.160

Scene processed in 0.170 seconds
undefined method `keys' for #<Array:0x000000215b15c8> + ["C:/ProgramData/ASGVIS/VfS/Ruby/VfSExport.rb:1784:in `block (3 levels) in write_to_xml'", "C:/ProgramData/ASGVIS/VfS/Ruby/VfSExport.rb:1783:in `each'", "C:/ProgramData/ASGVIS/VfS/Ruby/VfSExport.rb:1783:in `block (2 levels) in write_to_xml'", "C:/ProgramData/ASGVIS/VfS/Ruby/VfSExport.rb:1782:in `each'", "C:/ProgramData/ASGVIS/VfS/Ruby/VfSExport.rb:1782:in `block in write_to_xml'", "C:/ProgramData/ASGVIS/VfS/Ruby/VfSExport.rb:1781:in `each'", "C:/ProgramData/ASGVIS/VfS/Ruby/VfSExport.rb:1781:in `write_to_xml'", "C:/ProgramData/ASGVIS/VfS/Ruby/VfSExport.rb:1980:in `start_render'", "C:/ProgramData/ASGVIS/VfS/Ruby/R2PCallbacks.rb:538:in `start_render_cb'", "C:/ProgramData/ASGVIS/VfS/Ruby/VfSExport.rb:1931:in `direct_send'", "C:/ProgramData/ASGVIS/VfS/Ruby/VfSExport.rb:1931:in `render'", "C:/ProgramData/ASGVIS/VfS/Ruby/R2P.rb:1470:in `launch_vray_render'", "C:/ProgramData/ASGVIS/VfS/Ruby/R2PToolbar.rb:30:in `block in <module:VRayForSketchUp>'", "SketchUp:1:in `call'"]

Scene fully processed in 0.430 seconds
-----
my blog featuring recent projects
andybot 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby jiminy-billy-bob » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:09 pm

When you open Sketchup with the ruby console opened*, do you see "Skatter overrode Vray's 'write_to_xml'" ?

*To have the console opened at startup, put the attached file in your plugins folder.
jiminy-billy-bob 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby andybot » Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:44 am

I should say, I keep vray unloaded at start and only load it with TT's vray tools. Does skatter integration depend on both extensions loading at startup? (i.e. does skatter load after vray in order to modify the xml write behavior?)
(I have no ruby or coding knowledge, so just guessing...)
andybot 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby jiminy-billy-bob » Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:27 am

Ok yes, this is the reason.
I need to find a way to trigger my overwritting when Vray is loaded.
jiminy-billy-bob 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby valerostudio » Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:48 pm

Sorry for my delay in testing... I reinstalled and my previews are fixed, I get a random seed number now and V-Ray seems to be working. I will test some more today. So far, looking very good!

valerostudio 

Postby valerostudio » Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:03 pm

We have something special here! This is by far the quickest and best looking grass I have rendering in VR4SU and I didn't even have to make a proxy! IT'S MAGIC!

valerostudio 

Postby andybot » Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:21 pm

Well knock me over with a stuffed bear!! :ecstatic:

SKATTER-BEAR.jpg

One minor thing I noticed is that it seems to be doing some negative scaling (you can see some of the bears are darker - usually a sign of flipped UV's from something being mirrored.) I had the default scaling and rotating turned on for this render.
andybot 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby valerostudio » Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:22 pm

I always found that Compo Sprayer and Fur never really worked well for large populations, even in 2015 x64. This thing is a breeze. It doesn't seem to add any time to the parsing of the file, true?

valerostudio 

Postby jiminy-billy-bob » Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:41 pm

andybot wrote:One minor thing I noticed is that it seems to be doing some negative scaling (you can see some of the bears are darker - usually a sign of flipped UV's from something being mirrored.) I had the default scaling and rotating turned on for this render.

This doesn't seem right. I'd be interested to test this model myself.
jiminy-billy-bob 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby jiminy-billy-bob » Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:47 pm

valerostudio wrote: It doesn't seem to add any time to the parsing of the file, true?

From what I tested, it does add parsing time. Quite a lot actually with big numbers of objects. But I am glad you don't see that. Good news :-)
jiminy-billy-bob 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby andybot » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:35 pm

yes, I've noticed some pretty long parsing time as well, definitely more than usual.

So here is the file I've been playing with. I got some darker bears even without the rotate or translate turned on. The object I'm using is a proxy component. It doesn't seem to be an issue with regular components.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/wo4oh ... roxy2b.zip
andybot 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby jiminy-billy-bob » Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:25 pm

I'm not seeing darker bears when rendering the file you provided. But I'm wondering if it could be related to overlapping objects, since you have multiple similar Skatter objects in the render list.
jiminy-billy-bob 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby andybot » Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:14 pm

Ah, ok. It must have been related to multiple skatter setups. Starting with a clean file seems fine.
andybot 
Premium Member
Premium Member

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago

Ad Machine 
Robot

Return to Skatter