[Q] How to handle overlapping/holes?

General discusson for Skatter for SketchUp

Moderator: jiminy-billy-bob

[Q] How to handle overlapping/holes?

Postby duanekemp » Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:04 pm

Since I've been working on a proxy SU model test for covering large surfaces without overlaying geometry, much of the work, if not all of the placement was finally manually done. Because of the investment of time, I'm very curious how this works to not overlap too much (to reduce geometry) while overlapping enough to not have holes in in the surface plain.

Can you describe how this is handled?

Good job by the way. I'm looking forward to testing this!
Thank you for the invite.
Duane Kemp

Kemp Productions
Puidoux, Switzerland
Gallery:
https://duanekemp.artstation.com/
duanekemp 

Re: [Q] How to handle overlapping?

Postby jiminy-billy-bob » Fri Nov 14, 2014 1:26 pm

Well, the overlapping really depends on the distribution type you choose, along with the spacing/density.

For instance, if you choose the Grid type, and set a spacing equal to your component size, you will have no overlapping (and no holes if it's a square/rectangle).

The Uniform type (default) is actually the same as Grid, but with a random jitter which is a percentage of the spacing. I find it the best for random-looking scattering.
Like, for a grass field, I scatter a grass patch using Uniform with a 70% jitter.
Uniform with 0% jitter is exactly the same thing as Grid, but I seperated the two for more intuitiveness (Is that a word??)

The Random type is a true random distribution, like CompoSpray or Make Fur. I don't really like it for grass, as it gives you holes and clusters.
jiminy-billy-bob 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Re: [Q] How to handle overlapping/holes?

Postby duanekemp » Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:13 pm

I'm thinking it's about time to share my efforts with you. I've gotten a large size bed, though not "completely" satisfied, that will cover a huge amount of field or plane. Just dropped it on several terrains and still discovered some gaps that are bigger than I wanted.

But, your experience and suggestion are appreciated. Thank you.
Duane Kemp

Kemp Productions
Puidoux, Switzerland
Gallery:
https://duanekemp.artstation.com/
duanekemp 

Postby jiminy-billy-bob » Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:26 pm

Do you have images or a model to share?
jiminy-billy-bob 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby JQL » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:12 pm

duanekemp wrote:I'm thinking it's about time to share my efforts with you. I've gotten a large size bed, though not "completely" satisfied, that will cover a huge amount of field or plane. Just dropped it on several terrains and still discovered some gaps that are bigger than I wanted.

But, your experience and suggestion are appreciated. Thank you.

My own thoughts about the process are:
- Have more patches than just one;
- Materials based on the same texture for all patches (to save memory) but with color variation on each patch (I use thea tone mapping for the material creation);
- Have an higher density of the Uniform Type distribution grid with the default Skatter jitter;
- Use random rotation and half normal pointing up Z axis rotation;
- Use density fall off and let the ground show up in a lot of places.

This way I:
- never get the round patches showing up issue;
- never get holes between patches;
- can control wich percentage of each color I can use on my grass;
- can control wich global density I want on my grass (I find that grass that is too dense doesn't look natural)
JQL 
Premium Member
Premium Member

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago

Ad Machine 
Robot

Return to Skatter