Thea Support Response Time

General discussion on Thea Render for SketchUp

Moderator: Frederik

Thea Support Response Time

Postby sfto1 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:30 am

How quickly does the Thea support team respond to inquiries?Not counting the immediate Robo replyof we will respond as soon as possible.
sfto1 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Thea Support Response Time

Postby Frederik » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:26 am

I believe it depends in the complexity of the question/request...

If it's something easy, it may take just a few hours from submitting the question to receiving an answer from the core team...
If it's something more difficult - which require tests etc - then I'd assume that the time to response will be a couple of days (normal work days - Monday to Friday - that is)...

I assume that you've a bad experience, since you're posting this question here - or...?!?

What kind of trouble have you encountered...?
Frederik 
Thea Render Support
Thea Render Support

Postby sfto1 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:53 am

It was a simple question regarding purchasing and if the new options being worked on would be an upgrade or if I would need to pay for the new features when released.

I want to buy Thea for SU bundle, but I'm not sure if I should wait or jump in now.

Any Thoughts?
sfto1 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Hieru » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:25 pm

sfto1 wrote:...if the new options being worked on would be an upgrade or if I would need to pay for the new features when released.

I think you've sort of answered your own question.

If there is some uncertainty about the exact date of a major paid upgrade release, they will have to decide whether you should be exempt as a new customer.

If you are allowed to share the information, it will be very interesting to hear what response you eventually receive.
Hieru 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby duanekemp » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:39 pm

Unless Thea releases are different than the releases' policy in the past, I can imagine that if you purchase now, any upgrade will be free. However, this is and has been proven with the updates that were released during the last two, almost three years. Unless the new purchase or partnership changes things, and or an upgrade that is truly or significantly different than the 1.5 we are all using today... I can't imagine there being a change in policy.

That being said, without a quick response or any response as of yet to your question, this makes me wonder if a new version is in the works that would NOT be considered an update but a full fledge new version.

Thank you for sharing your concern or question here. I, like David, am looking forward to a response from Solid Iris as it might be insightful regarding up and coming development.
Duane Kemp

Director
Kemp Productions
Puidoux Switzerland

My Site
duanekemp 

Postby JQL » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:52 pm

I guess a clear response from the part of Thea to this question makes no sense.

Personally I'm confident that if they release an update like 1.6 it will not be paid as it has ben like that since Im a user.

However, if they release something like 2.0. It will surely be paid.

I'm almost absolutely sure they are working on 2.0, but I'm also pretty certain it won't be released anytime soon. The moment it will be released or even if they are working on it won't EVER be disclosed.

My advice: go buy it already. It's great!
JQL 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby NigeC » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:26 pm

With all the cloak and dagger stuff I think I would release another update with "something" interesting but needs a lot of testing.. I'm guessing that one of the somethings is the global medium

Its a catch 22 as usually if there is a revision update there is also a promotion, however they will usually honor the sale price if you've bought a bundle just a few weeks earlier
“It’s only impossible if you stop and think about it!”
NigeC 

Postby duanekemp » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:51 pm

JQL wrote:I guess a clear response from the part of Thea to this question makes no sense.

Not sure I follow you completely on this. I'm thinking that it would make sense to respond.

Whether or not the speculations, questions or supported points exist, the ones you point out... the subject may be less about what Solid Iris' dev is doing for the future and more to the fact that, up until today, this inquiry has not been responded to.

I agree with the logic that there is allot of update phases between version 1.5 and a future version 2. Yet, whether we speculate, question or wonder about the future of Thea, it is noteworthy that this question is not responded to. And for sfto1, as for those who might be following, an answer might be merited... no matter what that answer might be.
Duane Kemp

Director
Kemp Productions
Puidoux Switzerland

My Site
duanekemp 

Postby sfto1 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:23 pm

duanekemp wrote:
JQL wrote:I guess a clear response from the part of Thea to this question makes no sense.

Whether or not the speculations, questions or supported points exist, the ones you point out... the subject may be less about what Solid Iris' dev is doing for the future and more to the fact that, up until today, this inquiry has not been responded to.

Yes.

I was just hoping to get some generic policy answer.
I'll take the plunge, but I'm hoping that in a month or two down the road, I'm having to buy another full package.

Thanks to all for weighing in. I still think this is a simple question that should have been answered by now.
sfto1 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Hieru » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:44 pm

sfto1 wrote:...but I'm hoping that in a month or two down the road, I'm having to buy another full package.

I seriously doubt that would happen.

You are however right that you should have received a fairly swift answer - it's not typical of the support most people experience.
Hieru 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby JQL » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:35 am

I am the one not understanding.

The initial question was responded: support is swift, sometimes even not needed if you don't mind using the forums;

The second question was also responded: If you should jump right in, was also responded. I think you should.

What I tried to say is that Thea will never state clearly if they are going to release a new paid version or updates soon. If they'd do it, it would hurt business and they are now part of a bigger company (Altair) so they cannot talk about development. What they have done before is that people who buy their licenses on periods near a release, will have discounts or will be allowed to upgrade freely. Thea team has always been fair on that regard.
JQL 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby sfto1 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:17 am

To clarify and hopefully close this thread.

I appreciate the answers from the forum members here. They were quick, thoughtful and helpful. As usual.

The reason for posting here was to determine if it was usual for a week to pass before getting a reply from the folks at Thea. I was not looking for a release date for any new upgrades, but rather what the policy is if there happens to be a new release shortly (or reasonably shortly) after a purchase is made.

I had not received a reply from Thea regarding an inquiry I made directly from their website (still have not), and that was why I asked "here" in regards to how long one waits for a reply from Thea.

Happy modeling and rendering :D
sfto1 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Frederik » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:42 am

sfto1 wrote:I had not received a reply from Thea regarding an inquiry I made directly from their website (still have not)

I can only assume that the reason why you haven't received a reply from Solid Iris - yet - is that they can't disclose anything about future releases...

Please remember that Solid Iris Technologies are now a part of a public share holding company - Altair Engineering, Inc. - hence they can't and won't commit to anything related to future releases as it can have an effect on the share value of Altair...

I'm fairly sure that the same would happen if you had forwarded a similar question to SketchUp Support, as they're part of Trimble...

However, I wonder why they haven't replied to you with a "standard" statement saying that they can't answer your question directly, as your request is "outside" a "normal" support request...

If you had sent a question about functionality or alike, I'm sure you would have received an answer fairly quickly...

Hope the above makes sense...
Frederik 
Thea Render Support
Thea Render Support

Postby sfto1 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:40 am

KF,

Yes that makes sense.

Thanks for the answer, and I'm looking forward to using learning Thea.
sfto1 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Hieru » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:57 am

sfto1 wrote:Thanks for the answer, and I'm looking forward to using learning Thea.

Welcome on board :thumb:

And if you have any questions about using Thea, please don't hesitate to ask for help here or on the Thea forum. We Thea users are a passionate close-knit bunch who are more than happy to help out fellow users.
Hieru 
Premium Member
Premium Member

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago

Ad Machine 
Robot

Return to Thea