[Plugin] Xref Manager

Re: [Plugin] Xref Manager v5.1

Postby Manijeh » Fri May 31, 2013 12:06 am

TIG wrote:
XrefManagerHelpNotes.pdf

Dear Tig,
I just downloaded your xref manager tool.
One of the benefits of xref's in autocad is that you can insert an xref and not add to the size of the host file.
with sketchup making file sizes so huge this would be an awesome option, but your Xref manager does not seem to work this way. am I correct in assuming this? also will an inserted xref update within the host file when I revise the original?

Thank you so much for your reply.

Manijeh

Manijeh 

Re: [Plugin] Xref Manager v5.1

Postby TIG » Fri May 31, 2013 10:08 am

Manijeh wrote:
TIG wrote:
XrefManagerHelpNotes.pdf

Dear Tig,
I just downloaded your xref manager tool.
One of the benefits of xref's in autocad is that you can insert an xref and not add to the size of the host file.
with sketchup making file sizes so huge this would be an awesome option, but your Xref manager does not seem to work this way. am I correct in assuming this? also will an inserted xref update within the host file when I revise the original?

Thank you so much for your reply.

Manijeh
You can't have Xref's like AutoCAD's. A full version of the Xref-SKP is inserted as a component. It has a date-stamp. If the external SKP is changed it is newer so the option is to 'Reload'... You can do this manually with SKP components in your model. All this [old] tool does is automate the management of these. It uses the term 'Xref' because most users with a CAD background understand the concept of having several files combined into a single 'project'... Unfortunately SketchUp has no ability to make a 'reference' - the full SKP's geometry has to be inserted as a component - like a CAD 'Block' [an 'Xref' in CAD is just a special kind of 'Block' where the geometry is left in its original host...]
TIG
TIG 
Global Moderator

Re: [Plugin] Xref Manager v6.0 20120907

Postby Venom008 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:07 pm

Can you also install this on mac? Or only import referenced mac sketchup files? Can only find the windows file. Great program though!

Venom008 

Postby TIG » Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:07 pm

What makes you think this doesn't work on a MAC :?

A few aspects - like DXF import WERE initially 'for PC only' - but that was several versions ago.
The current tool is completely cross-platform.
Depending on the SketchUp version then the import of certain file-types other than SKP might be available on Pro installations only.

There is essentially no difference between SKP files made on PC or MAC.
They should open on any other machine.
The only thing to remember is that a v2013 file won't import into a model that is open in SketchUp <=v8, but a SKP <=v8 will open in SketchUp v2013 etc...
TIG
TIG 
Global Moderator

Postby Venom008 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:29 pm

My bad, I placed the file in the wrong plugins folder on mac! Needed to go to it via the library. Thanks alot for this program. It will safe us alot of (waiting) time!

Venom008 

Postby MKumar » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:34 pm

Hi Tig, Your tool xref tool is very helpfull, But if you can include an option to unload xrefs temporary and reload when necessary would be a great. Cheers

MKumar 

Postby atelierpaar » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:03 pm

Hello Tig,
I would like to try xrefManager in SU 2013 but it doesn`t appear in SU Pluginstore.
Is there a reason ?

thanks for looking in to it
Uli
atelierpaar 

Postby TIG » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:29 pm

It is there, do a search for 'xref'... :roll:
TIG
TIG 
Global Moderator

Postby atelierpaar » Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:35 am

found it - don`t know why I didn`t see it before :D
thanks
Uli
atelierpaar 

Postby JQL » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:42 am

TIG,

Would it be easy for you to add a function for one to be able to save over xrefed files through your manager! One could update the externa files in bulk, instead of doing that one by one using context menu's save as. If you would would want to be safe it could warn, or write a backup of the overwritten file of course, as it would be a dangerous operation...

Thanks and best regards,

JQL
JQL 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: [Plugin] Xref Manager

Postby TIG » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:09 pm

Pending a more major overhaul to ye olde Xref tool [currently stalled]... here's a stop-gap v2014 compliant update [v6.1] - now available from the PluginStore http://sketchucation.com/pluginstore?pln=XrefManager
TIG
TIG 
Global Moderator

Postby hulmevv » Sun May 04, 2014 9:37 am

TIG,
You have saved the day again!! :-D

I first became COMPLETELY dependent on your brilliant SketchUp XREF Plugin, back in 2005 & '06, utilizing your much earlier versions (ver 3.6) of XREF Tools. Here is a project example which allowed us to go well beyond SketchUp's typical application at the time (2006 Exhibit Link: goo. gl/YP5z9k ) The resulting animations might look primitive compared to today's SketchUp examples; however, they are over 8 years old at this point. ;-) Video Link: landinnovation. com/nsscsec56vid. html

The bottom line; to see you have once again stepped up to the plate and updated your awesome work to support SketchUp 2014, is just exceptional! ...And in fact, very timely for some brand new SketchUp based endeavor we have planned!

Thank you so much for the hard work, and consistently helpful results! :-D
hulmevv 

Postby paappleb » Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:39 pm

TIG,

First off, a big THANK YOU for all your plugins. You are a great member of this community. Never got to say that before as I rarely post to the forum (lack of time to do so).

Apparently there was a maintenance update for 2014, which I installed today and since then I noticed XREF manager has not stopped working with DWG/DXFs. Here's the error message I am getting from the Ruby Console:

Error: #<NoMethodError: undefined method `definition' for nil:NilClass>
C:/Users/pappleby/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2014/SketchUp/Plugins/XrefManager.rb:388:in `add_dwg_attrib'
C:/Users/pappleby/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2014/SketchUp/Plugins/XrefManager.rb:374:in `add_dwg'
C:/Users/pappleby/AppData/Roaming/SketchUp/SketchUp 2014/SketchUp/Plugins/XrefManager.rb:797:in `block in <top (required)>'
-e:1:in `call'

It worked fine before the update. Any idea what could be causing this?
paappleb 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby TIG » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:31 pm

@paappleb

Thanks for the feedback.
This is an old plugin well pass it update date... :roll:

I'll look into your report...
TIG
TIG 
Global Moderator

Postby g.moggel » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:44 pm

hey tig. first of all thanks for your amazing work.

this plugin seems great but i discovered a problem - when i update and have changed a material inside the original file it gets imported as a new material and wont change the already existing material. so i have to delete it, purge and replace it. are you planning on updating it?

cheers,
mo

g.moggel 

Postby TIG » Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:19 pm

That's the way SketchUp works if you did it manually - so it can't be easily changed in API code either ?
There are some Material tools around, but how would they know which material you ant to use/keep ?
TIG
TIG 
Global Moderator

Postby juju » Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:02 pm

Has anyone tried thie XREF plugin in SU 2015? Any problems?
Save the Earth, it's the only planet with chocolate.
juju 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby TIG » Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:16 pm

It should work OK.
BUT it is a bit old and needs a long overdue revamp...
TIG
TIG 
Global Moderator

Postby meomeo » Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:58 am

I can't describe how wonderful this plugin is. Thank you so much TIG !
The only wish is load and unload xref :D

meomeo 

Postby snakeysnape » Sat Jun 13, 2015 5:51 am

Hi TIG,

I don't know if you are still doing a revamp of this very useful plug-in. If you are, can you make the path of the xref'd files relative to the master file?

We are using it to edit files from a Google Drive, so whenever one of us updates the master file, the others would need to re-path the xref'd files.

I know group editing is not what's the plug-in was designed for but I think it could work.

snakeysnape 

Postby juju » Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:22 pm

Hi Tig,

Would it be possible to create a scroll bar on the right for easy navigation within the pop-up window for Xref tools?
X-REF.jpg
juju 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby TIG » Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:44 pm

Afraid it's not - at least with the UI inputbox...
If it's translated into an updated webdialog, then it's a 'yes'.
But sorry to say that my Xref Manager is long over due an update, and it's once again at the bottom og my to-do list :(
TIG
TIG 
Global Moderator

Postby juju » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:18 pm

Thanks for the quick response. Maybe a work-around then?

In the above scenario I have the model made up of various parts, each xrefs into the master, however each part also has xrefs of their own.

Would it possible to limit the "vision" of the xref reporting so it would only see the xrefs that is the parts (one tier deep), and not the xrefs that read into the parts again (2 tiers deep)? Once the parts are opened, the xrefs into that should be manageable as it is only one tier deep.
juju 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby jenujacob » Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:59 pm

Dear TIG,
I just want to tell you that this plugin of yours is a life saver!! The way i work is to xref all my individual buildings into one master site plan for quick updates! This helps me a lot!! a big big thank you from me!!!! :thumb: :D
jenujacob 

Postby SheriiF » Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:09 pm

sorry but I have a question .. !
I can't see any differences between the plugin and the normal external components saving .. !

thanks for advance ..

SheriiF 

Postby ccastelein » Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:02 pm

Hello Tig,
I have a question/suggestion/request about this xref manager. One of the things usefull for an xref manager would be to "unload" and xref. Is it possible to have it rename the orig xref to a temp file name, replace original xref with a blank/empty .skp file to lighten the model. This would help rendering of large models by unloading un-rendered areas of the model. then when you need the xref, it would rename temp file back to the original .skp name and reload it thru the xref manager....

is this possible? maybe this has already been done, tho i havent found such plug-in or script.

What do you think?
ccastelein

ccastelein 

Postby Bob James » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:34 pm

Tue Sep 22, 2015
TIG wrote:...But sorry to say that my Xref Manager is long over due an update, and it's once again at the bottom og my to-do list :(

Has this moved up in your To-Do list or has it been relegated to the "won't ever get an update" list?
i7-4930K 3.4Ghz, 2x GTX780 6GB, 32GB DDR3-1600 ECC, OCZ Vertex 4 500GB, WD Black 3TB, 32TB NAS, 4x 27" Monitors, SpaceMouse Pro, X-keys XK-60
Bob James 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby TIG » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:22 pm

It is still on my to-do list.

However, people who pay me hard cash keep interrupting and wanting me to do things for them !
I am not superman...

So it currently stays near the bottom of my to-do list - however, I'd love to update this - but it was originally written in Latin ;)

It will happen... but the 'when?' is the issue...
TIG
TIG 
Global Moderator

Postby db11 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:28 pm

TIG wrote:So it currently stays near the bottom of my to-do list

TIG -

What if you turned it into a paid extension — might that move it up the list?
At least then, the effort to re-code would have some possibility of reward.

Seems to me that people that have a need for Xref would likely be willing to pay for the needed functionality for complex and/or collaborative projects... I know that I would.

For that matter you could take pre-orders and start working on it once you reach a viability threshold.

Just some ideas to maybe coax it up the to-do list ;)

Doug

db11 

Postby JQL » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:37 pm

I'd be very interested in a pro version too.
JQL 
Premium Member
Premium Member

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago

Ad Machine 
Robot

PreviousNext

Return to Plugins