[Plugin] Universal Importer - v1.1.5 - 29 Jan. 2020

Re: [Plugin] Universal Importer - v1.1.5 - 29 Jan. 2020

Postby samuel_t » Wed May 13, 2020 6:42 pm

TIG wrote:So do you need to explain to MAC users to open the Terminal first, and then try your tool...
And any error-messages might appear in that Terminal window ?


No, command line needs to be pasted in Mac's Terminal after that Universal Importer plugin crashes.
2
User avatar
samuel_t 
 

Re: [Plugin] Universal Importer - v1.1.5 - 29 Jan. 2020

Postby edwinfolk » Fri May 15, 2020 12:58 am

Hello Samuel,

Thanks for doing this. This looks like a really great plugin that can help with rendering and setting up reference models for a lot of Maxwell users. Attached is a screen shot of the terminal window. Hope you can make sense of it.
0

edwinfolk 
 

Re: [Plugin] Universal Importer - v1.1.5 - 29 Jan. 2020

Postby McGordon » Fri May 15, 2020 9:11 am

edwinfolk wrote:This looks like a really great plugin that can help with rendering and setting up reference models for a lot of Maxwell users. Attached is a screen shot of the terminal window. Hope you can make sense of it.

The permission denied means you don't have executable permissions on that assimp file. Can you paste this into Terminal and press return:

Code: Select all
ls -l ~/Library/Application\ Support/SketchUp\ 2018/SketchUp/Plugins/universal_importer/Assimp/Mac

Then show us the results, which should look something like this:

Code: Select all
total 25448
-rwxr-xr-x@ 1 gordon  staff      3791 24 Sep  2019 LICENSE.txt
-rwxr-xr-x@ 1 gordon  staff    149772  6 Jan 16:05 assimp
-rwxr-xr-x@ 1 gordon  staff  12810620  6 Jan 16:05 libassimp.dylib
-rwxr-xr-x@ 1 gordon  staff     58316 24 Sep  2019 x.dyl


I haven't installed this yet, I'm just trying to help as samuel_t doesn't have a Mac. The first 'x' in '-rwxr-xr-x@' for assimp means I could run that file as a program. That's the bit I'm looking for when you run that command which just lists what's in that directory.
0

McGordon 
Premium Member
Premium Member
 

Re: [Plugin] Universal Importer - v1.1.5 - 29 Jan. 2020

Postby edwinfolk » Fri May 15, 2020 11:51 am

Hello McGordon,
I attached a screen shot of the command sent through terminal. Not sure what that means - sorry I am not a coder or Ruby specialist. Anyway if you can make sense of this and help Samuel thereby helping us MacOS users, awesome. Thanks for the help and stay safe.

Edwin
0

edwinfolk 
 

Re: [Plugin] Universal Importer - v1.1.5 - 29 Jan. 2020

Postby TIG » Fri May 15, 2020 1:14 pm

In the first part of the 'report' the "rw" means "read/write".
If you see the earlier McGordon example you see "rwx" which means "read/write/execute".
So yours is failing because it doesn't have permission to execute the necessary files...

You could try selecting the subfolder [.../Plugins/universal_importer] and changing it to have "full" permissions - for all users and all of its contents...
0
TIG
User avatar
TIG 
Global Moderator
 

Re: [Plugin] Universal Importer - v1.1.5 - 29 Jan. 2020

Postby McGordon » Fri May 15, 2020 1:25 pm

As I suspected, you don't have permission to run that file. You could fix it with another terminal command:

Code: Select all
chmod u+x ~/Library/Application\ Support/SketchUp\ 2018/SketchUp/Plugins/universal_importer/Assimp/Mac/assimp


Be more careful copying and pasting this time. The 'CODE: SELECT ALL' link doesn't work for me, it just scrolls to the top of the page.
That command just changes the execute (run) permissions of that one file.

They are perfectly readable, but you don't have to screenshot the terminal, just copy the text as if it was any text document in a word processor or text editor.
1

McGordon 
Premium Member
Premium Member
 

Re: [Plugin] Universal Importer - v1.1.5 - 29 Jan. 2020

Postby edwinfolk » Fri May 15, 2020 7:31 pm

Hi Guys,

Thanks again for looking at this. I review both your responses. I think I had previously made a mistake entering the cut and paste into terminal and received the wrong information which I sent to you. I went back a step and copy/pasted into terminal the correct line of code and the terminal spit this out.

-rw-rw-rw- 1 edfolk staff 3791 Sep 24 2019 LICENSE.txt
-rwxrw-rw- 1 edfolk staff 149772 Jan 6 17:05 assimp
-rw-rw-rw- 1 edfolk staff 12810620 Jan 6 17:05 libassimp.dylib
-rw-rw-rw- 1 edfolk staff 58316 Sep 24 2019 x.dyl

I did try to paste into the line McGordon sent but the plugin did not complete the import. I attached a series of 3 screenshots to show you. As you can imagine I am not the computer guy. Decent enough designer but shit when it comes to this sort of thing.

Thanks again you guys are really great.

Edwin
0

edwinfolk 
 

Re: [Plugin] Universal Importer - v1.1.5 - 29 Jan. 2020

Postby McGordon » Fri May 15, 2020 8:45 pm

It looks like the previous chmod command worked:
edwinfolk wrote:
Code: Select all
-rwxrw-rw-  1 edfolk  staff    149772 Jan  6 17:05 assimp



I think you've made a bit of progress. You're now getting a different error from another program that probably doesn't have executable permissions either. Here's
one more command to make it run too:

Code: Select all
chmod u+x ~/Library/Application\ Support/SketchUp\ 2018/SketchUp/Plugins/universal_importer/MeshLab/Mac/MacOS/meshlabserver


run that then try to do your import again. I think there might be other files on your system with the wrong permissions, but I'm only getting you to change one at a time here.
1

McGordon 
Premium Member
Premium Member
 

Re: [Plugin] Universal Importer - v1.1.5 - 29 Jan. 2020

Postby edwinfolk » Fri May 15, 2020 9:37 pm

Hello,

Thanks for the help. It seems to work better than before. I attached a jpg so you can see that the file I imported (OBJ) did not completely import successfully. Not sure what the problem is but as you can tell from the image it is not complete. Same thing happened with a Light Wave import although the import image was about 1/100 the expected size. I will try some other imports from other formats and see what happens. If you have any ideas would love to hear them.

I have been able to convert some files from these formats using MODO to make a Collada file and then using the normal import to SKU. Cleaning them up and ignoring UV distortion which gives okay results. However, if I can get the universal importer to work well then I can save a lot of time.

Thanks again. Really appreciate the help.
0

edwinfolk 
 

Re: [Plugin] Universal Importer - v1.1.5 - 29 Jan. 2020

Postby malditobill » Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:53 pm

Hi. Do I have to install Assimp library and MeshLab software before Universal Importer? Ive just installed only Universal Importer and in the tool bar only get the reduce poligons icons.
0

malditobill 
 

Re: [Plugin] Universal Importer - v1.1.5 - 29 Jan. 2020

Postby samuel_t » Sun Aug 23, 2020 7:49 pm

malditobill wrote:Hi. Do I have to install Assimp library and MeshLab software before Universal Importer? Ive just installed only Universal Importer and in the tool bar only get the reduce poligons icons.


Hi. No. Assimp library and MeshLab software are bundled with Universal Importer plugin. SketchUp toolbar only contains shortcut to Poly reducer... In SketchUp menu, use "File > Import with Universal Importer...".
0
User avatar
samuel_t 
 

Re: [Plugin] Universal Importer - v1.1.5 - 29 Jan. 2020

Postby rspierenburg » Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:49 pm

I'm trying to import an OBJ. I want to keep the existing model scale but the plugin keeps asking for the height of the model. Is there a way to ignore that?
0

rspierenburg 
 

Re: [Plugin] Universal Importer - v1.1.5 - 29 Jan. 2020

Postby samuel_t » Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:18 pm

rspierenburg wrote:I'm trying to import an OBJ. I want to keep the existing model scale but the plugin keeps asking for the height of the model. Is there a way to ignore that?


Hello. You can't ignore that.
0
User avatar
samuel_t 
 

Re: [Plugin] Universal Importer - v1.1.5 - 29 Jan. 2020

Postby Lacee » Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:51 pm

Unable to reduce a 6,000,000 poly SU2020 file / also unable to import OBJ source file for same #2
Posted in GitHub.
0

Lacee 
 

Model size - Universal Importer - v1.1.5 - 29 Jan. 2020

Postby Kolarik » Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:50 pm

1) Can you explain, how size of imported object is calculated? I am not able to import objects in correct size. See attached example - block 10x20x30mm
Block10_20_30.jpg

It was exported to STL, and imported back by Universal Importer.
Height set to 1 cm
Importer_settings.jpg

no texture, no reduction.
Result :
Block_result.jpg


I do not know, what I am doing bad....


2) I am using milimetres as default in Sketchup - if the sizing rules would work, can it be changed into mm instaed of cm?
0

Kolarik 
 

Re: [Plugin] Universal Importer - v1.1.5 - 29 Jan. 2020

Postby samuel_t » Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:18 pm

Lacee wrote:Unable to reduce a 6,000,000 poly SU2020 file / also unable to import OBJ source file for same #2
Posted in GitHub.


Hello Lacee. I just answered you at GitHub ;)
0
User avatar
samuel_t 
 

Re: [Plugin] Universal Importer - v1.1.5 - 29 Jan. 2020

Postby Einstein » Tue Nov 03, 2020 12:54 pm

Hello,
Would it be possible to support importing loose edges from Blender? When a mesh contains faces, it imports properly but if there are only edges, they don't get imported.
It would also be cool if separate Blender objects would be imported to separate SketchUp groups. But I'm aware this can be a lot of work to code.
0

Einstein 
 

Re: Model size - Universal Importer - v1.1.5 - 29 Jan. 2020

Postby samuel_t » Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:54 pm

Kolarik wrote:1) Can you explain, how size of imported object is calculated? I am not able to import objects in correct size. See attached example - block 10x20x30mm [...]


Technically, sizing algorithm is a hack. Since in most cases, by default, imported object is oversized: plugin scales down this object to height set by user. This hack works pretty well with "tall" objects.

Kolarik wrote:2) I am using milimetres as default in Sketchup - if the sizing rules would work, can it be changed into mm instaed of cm?


Maybe if I ask user for a height in mm instead of cm, size of imported model will be more accurate...
2
User avatar
samuel_t 
 

Re: [Plugin] Universal Importer - v1.1.5 - 29 Jan. 2020

Postby samuel_t » Tue Nov 03, 2020 9:19 pm

Einstein wrote:Hello,
Would it be possible to support importing loose edges from Blender? When a mesh contains faces, it imports properly but if there are only edges, they don't get imported.
It would also be cool if separate Blender objects would be imported to separate SketchUp groups. But I'm aware this can be a lot of work to code.


Hello. No. You can see Universal Importer plugin for SketchUp as an Assimp script. This means that, in most cases, if Assimp doesn't support a feature: Universal Importer plugin doesn't support this feature.
0
User avatar
samuel_t 
 

Re: Model size - Universal Importer - v1.1.5 - 29 Jan. 2020

Postby Kolarik » Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:14 am

samuel_t wrote:Maybe if I ask user for a height in mm instead of cm, size of imported model will be more accurate...

I would prefer it, either as default or at least as option.
0

Kolarik 
 

Re: [Plugin] Universal Importer - v1.1.5 - 29 Jan. 2020

Postby Einstein » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:24 pm

Hello,
I have a problem with importing Blend files. There is a model in Blender containing one object with all faces touching each other, so the object is "water-tight", "3D-printable" and there are no "border edges" (every edge is connected to two faces).
When I import it to SketchUp, some faces stay connected but some disconnect, leaving doubled vertices living nearby but not touching each other. This basically makes a broken mesh.
Can something be done with this issue - either manually, or within the plugin?
I tried exporting from Blender to OBJ, then to SketchUp. It fixes the issue if I use ThomThom's QFT OBJ importer but introduces another issue - missing some faces.

The BLEND model is in the ZIP archive because SketchUcation won't let me post BLEND files.
0

Einstein 
 

Re: [Plugin] Universal Importer - v1.1.5 - 29 Jan. 2020

Postby brettmahon01 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:33 pm

Hi, this plugin sounds amazing! i installed but i keep getting error message?

Universal Importer Error: Command failed: "/Users/brettmahon/Library/Application Support/SketchUp 2019/SketchUp/Plugins/universal_importer/Assimp/Mac/assimp" info "/Users/brettmahon/.UniversalImporter/tmp/import.obj" > "/Users/brettmahon/.UniversalImporter/tmp/assimp.nfo"


/Users/brettmahon/Library/Application Support/SketchUp 2019/SketchUp/Plugins/universal_importer/assimp.rb:166:in `get_texture_refs'

Universal Importer Version: 1.1.5
0

brettmahon01 
 

Re: [Plugin] Universal Importer - v1.1.5 - 29 Jan. 2020

Postby samuel_t » Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:50 pm

Einstein wrote:Hello,
I have a problem with importing Blend files. There is a model in Blender containing one object with all faces touching each other, so the object is "water-tight", "3D-printable" and there are no "border edges" (every edge is connected to two faces).
When I import it to SketchUp, some faces stay connected but some disconnect, leaving doubled vertices living nearby but not touching each other. This basically makes a broken mesh.
Can something be done with this issue - either manually, or within the plugin?
I tried exporting from Blender to OBJ, then to SketchUp. It fixes the issue if I use ThomThom's QFT OBJ importer but introduces another issue - missing some faces.

The BLEND model is in the ZIP archive because SketchUcation won't let me post BLEND files.


Hello. I don't know Blender enough to help you :(
0
User avatar
samuel_t 
 

Re: [Plugin] Universal Importer - v1.1.5 - 29 Jan. 2020

Postby samuel_t » Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:57 pm

brettmahon01 wrote:Hi, this plugin sounds amazing! i installed but i keep getting error message?

Universal Importer Error: Command failed: "/Users/brettmahon/Library/Application Support/SketchUp 2019/SketchUp/Plugins/universal_importer/Assimp/Mac/assimp" info "/Users/brettmahon/.UniversalImporter/tmp/import.obj" > "/Users/brettmahon/.UniversalImporter/tmp/assimp.nfo"


/Users/brettmahon/Library/Application Support/SketchUp 2019/SketchUp/Plugins/universal_importer/assimp.rb:166:in `get_texture_refs'

Universal Importer Version: 1.1.5


Hi, you have probably a file permission issue. Open a Terminal in your Mac then run these commands:

Code: Select all
chmod +x "/Users/brettmahon/Library/Application Support/SketchUp 2019/SketchUp/Plugins/universal_importer/Assimp/Mac/assimp"


Code: Select all
chmod +x "/Users/brettmahon/Library/Application Support/SketchUp 2019/SketchUp/Plugins/universal_importer/MeshLab/Mac/MacOS/meshlabserver"


Then reopen SketchUp.
0
User avatar
samuel_t 
 

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago



Ad Machine 
Robot
 

Previous


 

Return to Plugins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: caillou, dongoc, Godrin Grimlock, grypa2000, Hossinh2, mauriciolage, Mercuriel, Not Me and 19 guests

Visit our sponsors: