[Plugin] MoveAlong - v1.2b - 07 Jul 14

[Plugin] MoveAlong - v1.2b - 07 Jul 14

Postby fredo6 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:46 am

MoveAlong is a standalone script which is part of FredoTools. It allows Moving and Copying entities, as well as Rotating components and groups by their center along axes.
MoveAlong is similar to the native Sketchup Move tool but provides some additional features:
  • Additional inferences (centers of arc, face, component / group)
  • Additional auto-lock directions
  • Lock of custom direction
  • Remote Inferences
  • Move along Direction, with possibility to pick and choose direction in the model
  • Move along Plane, with possibility to pick and choose plane in the model
  • Non interactive Move (easier to reach targets that would be occulted by the moving object)
  • Alignment of curves and objects along priviliged directions (see video below)
MoveAlong supports the other features of the native SU Move tool: copy, multiple copies, locking on axes, rotation of group / component, etc…

MoveAlong is installed as part of FredoTools..

See the main post for this plugin for Installation of FredoTools

(see also section Quick Start and Video below)
MoveAlong - User Manual - English - v1.2.pdf

MoveAlong - Quickcard - English - v1.2.pdf

• SU Versions: SU6, SU7, SU8, SU13, SU14 – works better with SU8 M1 and above
  • Platforms: Windows and Mac
  • Languages: English, French
  • Menus: by default, MoveAlong is installed in Tools > FredoTools. It does NOT appear in the Contextual menu.
  • Icon toolbar: Fredo6 Tools. There is only a single icon. By default, it is not shown. You need to go to the Default Parameters… dialog of FredoTools to enable the icon.
  • The plugin is free, for private and commercial usage.
MoveAlong_32.png

MoveAlong 1.0 - Overview

MoveAlong 1.1 - Remote Inferences - AutoSmooth

MoveAlong 1.2 - Alignment Mode

Launching MoveAlong
It can be launched on a Pre-selection. If there is no selection, then you can pick entities to move by hovering over them.
A button palette window appears. It allows controlling setting the working modes (Copy mode, Defer mode, Extended selection) as well as to lock / unlock directions on model axes.
MoveAlong Toolbar 2.png

As a general statement, MoveAlong behaves very similarly to the native SU Move tool.

Defer mode (non-Interactive move)
The native SU Move tool always move the entities selected interactively. The drawback is that it may occult the target you want to reach.
MoveAlong provides a non-interactive mode to avoid this inconvenience. You can enable / disable it by pressing TAB (or button in palette or contextual menu).
A wireframe is moved instead of the selected entities so that you can access any point of the model, or even select a target belonging to the selected entities (for instance move a vertex of a face to its center).
- Move mode: wireframe is in dashed line
- Copy mode: wireframe is in plain, thick line
MoveAlong - Defer mode.png

Additional Inferences
  • Center of Arcs and Polygons: You hover over an arc or a polygon (as considered by Sketchup), the center of the arc or polygon is displayed (as a red cross +) and can be used as an inference for origin and target.
  • Center of Faces: You hover over a face, the center of the face is displayed (as a blue cross +).
  • Center and Corners of Components / Groups: when hovering over the elements of component or group, the center and edges of their bounding box is displayed. This works at any level of embedding. The center of bounding box is useful because it may be physically hidden within the component / group. With MoveAlong, you can still pick it in all cases. The center and corners of the bounding box can be used for origin and target.
  • Anchor and Leader of Text Labels (if this matters!)

Locking the current Direction
When moving the mouse to reach the target, you can lock the current direction by pressing/releasing Shift.
MoveAlong - Locking current direction.png

Picking Directions and Plane in the model
You can set a direction or plane by picking it from elements anywhere in the model.
This can be done by just hovering over the element and either pressing ENTER or making a Long-Click.

In Vector mode
  • Picking an Edge or a midpoint --> direction of the edge
  • Picking a Face --> direction is the normal to the face
  • Picking a Guide Line --> direction is the line of the guide line

MoveAlong - setting direction.png

In Plane mode
  • Picking an Edge or a midpoint --> plane perpendicular to the edge
  • Picking an Vertex with 2 Edges --> plane defined by the 2 edges
  • Picking an extremity (vertex with one edge) --> plane perpendicular to the edge
  • Picking a Guide Line --> plane perpendicular to the guide line
MoveAlong - Custom Plane.png

To unset the constrained direction or plane, just press Arrow Down.

VCB – Offset – Multiple copies – Rotation angle
  • Rotation angle: just type the numeric value for degrees, or a value followed by a letter for specifying unit, for instance 30d (degrees), 3.14r (radians), 100g (grades), 50% (slope)
  • Offset: just type the numeric value: without unit, i.e. current model units, ex: 33.5 or 3’4”, or with units, ex: 3.2cm. Alternatively, you can specify the direction and offset by entering the value for each axes. For instance 3 4 5 will set the move vector to 3 in X, 4 in Y and 5 in Z. You do not need to enter all values and use the semi-comma ‘;’ as separator or space when non-ambiguous: ex: ;;4 will move by 4 unit along the Z axis (0 0 4 would work as well), 50.3; will move by 50.3 units along the X axis (50.3 0 would work as well). Note that space or semi-comma ‘;’ are used as separators in the VCB, because the dot and comma are reserved as valid decimal separators for international users.
  • Multiple copies: this is similar to the SU Move tool:
    - Multiple of offset: *n or nx are supported, ex: *3 or 3x
    - Divide of offset: /n is supported, ex: /3
    If you type a negative value (ex: *-3, -3x, /-3), then multiple copies are generated on each side of the original copy. Below the result of typing '*-2'
    MoveAlong - VCB - multiple on each side .png

Repeating the move
Once you have moved a first object, you can move another object by the same vector and offset by double-clicking on it.
Similarly, when you have rotated a group or component, you can double click on a red cross of another group or component to perform the same rotation.

MoveAlong 1.2b – 07 Jul 14: Update with fix of a bug signaled by dedmin.

MoveAlong 1.2a – 18 Jun 14: Update with fixes and additional features (Alignment Mode).

MoveAlong 1.1b – 17 May 14: Update with fixes and additional features (Remote inferences, AutoSmooth, ...). V1.1b inlcudes a fix for input of architectural units in VCB

MoveAlong 1.1a – 15 May 14: Update with fixes and additional features (Remote inferences, AutoSmooth, ...)

MoveAlong 1.0d – 20 Apr 14: Fixed a problem when selected entities are huge (signaled by rv1974)

MoveAlong 1.0c – 17 Apr 14: initial public release in FredoTools 1.8c
Last edited by fredo6 on Wed Nov 19, 2014 9:46 pm, edited 11 times in total.
fredo6 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Re: [Plugin] MoveAlong - v1.0a - 17 Apr 14

Postby mitcorb » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:40 pm

Hi, Fredo:
Thanks for posting. Your demo looks great.
I take the slow, deliberate approach in my aimless wandering.
mitcorb 
Top SketchUcator

Postby cotty » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:50 pm

I suspect that I need longer to discover all possibilities than it has taken you to write this tool, GREAT work!
cotty 
Top SketchUcator

Postby pilou » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:57 pm

Joyeuses Pâques! :fro:
Frenchy Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
Speedy Galerie
pilou 
Top SketchUcator

Postby pomelo3d » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:21 pm

fredo excellent. thank you very much. You are always working to improve sketchup.

THANK YOU.

A query or suggestions:

You can add an option that:

1 - I move an object or geometry (eg 10cm)
2 - later, I enter in the VCB (eg - 2cm), then the geometry object or moved 8 cm.

pomelo3d 

Postby Bob James » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:12 pm

Redid shortcut M to MoveAlong as I did B to ThruPaint. Awesome :thumb:
i7-4930K 3.4Ghz, 2x GTX780 6GB, 32GB DDR3-1600 ECC, OCZ Vertex 4 500GB, WD Black 3TB, 32TB NAS, 4x 27" Monitors, SpaceMouse Pro, X-keys XK-60
Bob James 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby g_wilson » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:57 pm

I really like movealong but have encountered a problem. I am running XP SP3 and Windows 8 both updated to final MS update and SU8. The problem comes when trying to use "Defer mode" and same occurs with either copy or move and plane or vector selected. The wirecage does not appear when a group (simple cube) is selected until I do a zoom then if I move the movealong cursor,the wireframe does not follow it until I do another zoom. Second case - if I select the group the wireframe does not appear until I run the cursor out of the drawing window,then it appears at whatever point I ran out of the dwg area. Then,if I move across the dwg area,the wireframe does not move until I leave the dwg area again and.as before,the wireframe moves to the point at which I left the dwg area. Every other function I have tried so far works just fine.

EDIT: No answer ??
Last edited by g_wilson on Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

g_wilson 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby cotty » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:10 am

Shortcut 'M' updated!

A little observation:
The shadow is not updated until leaving the tool... (not really a problem)
cotty 
Top SketchUcator

Postby kaas » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:55 am

Wicked !! :thumb:

One observation: when moving a group, if you move the mouse over the rotation grips of the object the cursor sticks in rotation-mode (component-like behavior?).

edit: another thing I noticed (trying out the techniques from your youtube movie 8m54), if the two lines to the right are grouped and I enter the group and try to move the middle line in its plane to the intersection with the left line, no intersection is indicated. When grouping the left and right line it works though.

Once again, a great addition. Having fun trying out all the options.

kaas 

Postby JQL » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:30 pm

Endless possibilities...
JQL 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby CadFather » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:29 pm

Wow... Thanks Master Fredo - could do a whole basecamp based on your plugins! :)
CadFather 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby xianglin » Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:24 am

Hello Fredo
Thank you for your plugin.
I'm your biggest fan.
For you to see a video, you might have some new ideas.
Http://video.sina.com.cn/v/b/92151582-1801050914.html

xianglin 

Postby rv1974 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:11 am

Why? Why you are not the Project (TRMLR SU :?) Manager? :thumb:
P.S. Please check PM. In short the 'move along' won't work with relatively heavy geometry.
Could it get fixed?
Thank you.

rv1974 

Postby fredo6 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:13 pm

rv1974 wrote:In short the 'move along' won't work with relatively heavy geometry.
Could it get fixed?
Thank you.

I published a provisional fix for selection with big number of entities in MoveAlong 1.0d, published as part of FredoTools 1.8e.

Fredo
fredo6 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby fredo6 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:09 pm

xianglin wrote:Hello Fredo
I'm your biggest fan.

Looks like a super-powerful road editor; very well done!

Fredo
fredo6 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby Krisidious » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:13 am

xianglin wrote:Hello Fredo
I'm your biggest fan.

Wow, that's very kool... I'd love to have that in Sketchup.
By: Kristoff Rand
Home Designer
Unique House Plans
Krisidious 

Postby Frederik » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:13 am

xianglin wrote:For you to see a video, you might have some new ideas.

That video takes forever to load for me, although I have a very fast Internet connection... :?
Cheers
Kim Frederik
Frederik 
Thea Render Support
Thea Render Support

Re: [Plugin] MoveAlong - v1.0d - 20 Apr 14

Postby Krisidious » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:02 am

Fred, It's served from China (I think) and then it has to load 14 minutes of video. I think that's why it takes so long.
By: Kristoff Rand
Home Designer
Unique House Plans
Krisidious 

Postby rv1974 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:27 am

Fredo, many thanks for 1.8e update, it's great improvement!
Another nuance- those Acad-like grey phantom lines of the initial position, which give posibility to snap.
I noticed that not grouped\componented geometry unfortunately doesn't give this feature;
grey phantom lines represent the object's bounding boxes (pic.1). Couldn't they represent the true
wireframe
(pic.2)?
Thank you.

rv1974 

Postby fredo6 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:05 pm

This is possible, but it would defeat performance, which I think is essential for a Move operation (remember your other request on big building!)).

What I can do is to display in wire the element picked inside the groups and components, say face, edge, ...)

Fredo
fredo6 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby rv1974 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:13 pm

may be some sort of button or combo box in your ribbon toolbar that dis-\en-ables wireframe degradation?

rv1974 

Postby fredo6 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:54 pm

cotty wrote:Shortcut 'M' updated!

A little observation:
The shadow is not updated until leaving the tool... (not really a problem)

At least you can tell that you move faster than your shadow!

Fredo

PS: nothing I can do, I have no control over shadows and the Move api does not seem to take care of them interactively.
fredo6 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby Rich O Brien » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:44 am

@Fredo

Wonderful tool.

Will we see it obey quad face convention in the future?

Enabling Thomthom's AutoSmooth while using MoveAlong has no effect.
There's a frontroom and a backroom....reverse faces
Rich O Brien 
Administrator

Postby fredo6 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:22 pm

Rich O Brien wrote:Will we see it obey quad face convention in the future?

Enabling Thomthom's AutoSmooth while using MoveAlong has no effect.

Rich,

Good suggestion. It should go in the next release.

MoveAlong Autosmooth.gif

I use thomthom's conventions for quads
- smooth = soft = true
cast_shadows = false

Fredo

PS: Apparently the Move api (#transform_entities) behaves differently from the move tool regarding the creation / modification of entities. So it is more tricky.
fredo6 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby rv1974 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:10 am

Fredo,
is it possible to replicate the Acad's Tracking (with numeric distance input) as shown on vid.1? And I can't figure out how do standard Move with Shift pressed (vid.2.) Is it supported in MoveAlong?
Another little thing: this strip of beige with current snapping info.. could it stay permanently (no popping-up)?

rv1974 

Postby fredo6 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:26 am

rv1974 wrote:Fredo,
is it possible to replicate the Acad's Tracking (with numeric distance input) as shown on vid.1? And I can't figure out how do standard Move with Shift pressed (vid.2.) Is it supported in MoveAlong?
Another little thing: this strip of beige with current snapping info.. could it stay permanently (no popping-up)?

I cannot read the swf files. Could you display them or use another format.

Thanks

Fredo
fredo6 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby TIG » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:12 pm

To read a swf file just drag+drop it on your browser - it's a flash-movie and should then play...

@rv1974
You can constrain the native move/copy to align with the edge - hover over it and hold shift, then the movement is inference constrained along an extension of that edge, BUT any typed in the distance is taken from the picked point on the original object [along that vector].
You can of course use a premade guide-line offset the desired distance and snap to that using the inferred vector...
TIG
TIG 
Global Moderator

Postby rv1974 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:20 pm

rv1974 

Postby rv1974 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:48 pm

@TIG: Exactly, that's what I tried to illustrate with the 2nd vid. I just suggested to MoveAlong to support the Shift trick (with Acad's numeric input, if possible).

rv1974 

Postby fredo6 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:59 pm

@TIG, @rv1974

That's just remote inferencing (passive and active). It was planned and I am actually coding it. So should go in next release whenever I have time.

Fredo
fredo6 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago

Ad Machine 
Robot

Next

Return to Plugins