Postby renderiza » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:42 pm

Author:: Renderiza 
Plugin Name:: Shadowtex
Version:: 1.0.1
Release Date:: 6/11/2013
Update Date:: 6/12/2013
Cost:: Free

Shadowtex

Shadowtex enables you to paint or texture all faces that are in shadows automatically.

Shadowtex targets a single ray from the center of a face, towards the direction of the sun and if a collision is detected preventing it from reaching that point, then it will be assumed that the face is in shadow. This method only works with loose faces, but if the plugin is activated while inside a group or component it will target all the faces there.

If shadows are only being projected in some areas of a single face, the plugin will not apply color or texture to does specific instances. Remember that the plugin only takes into consideration a single point on the center of the face and if that specific area is not on shadow it will assume the whole surface is like that as well.

Do not consider Shadowtex a one click solution, but instead a plugin that will require your assistance in completing a specific task.

For plugin compatibility it is recommended to instal
Internet Explorer 9 or higher.

Available at
sketchUcation
plugin Store

click here

Extension Warehouse

click here

Note: If the latest version is not yet available at Extension Warehouse that means it is still awaiting to be approved by the quality assurance team to make sure extension meets the technical and security requirements.
Last edited by renderiza on Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:52 am, edited 16 times in total.
renderiza 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: [Plugin] Shadowtex v1.0.0

Postby yorik1984 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:55 pm

how it use?
yorik1984 

Postby Krisidious » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:11 pm

Kooool...
By: Kristoff Rand
Home Designer
Unique House Plans
Krisidious 

Postby Dave R » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:14 pm

Interesting idea. I tried it on my Win7 machine. Edit: after running it several times with no results, I ran it again and finally got a color displayed however it just painted an entire face. It did not discern between shadow and lit regions on the face.
%

(THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE)

G28 X0.0 Y0.0 Z0.0

M30

%
Dave R 
Global Moderator

Postby renderiza » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:22 pm

yorik1984 wrote:how it use?

Steps:

1. Open plugin to reveal web-dialog shown above.

2. Pick between painting faces with colors or textures by selecting from radio buttons.

3. Choose color or textures by clicking on top of them.

4. Click Shadowtex Button for plugin to work.

5. Done!

Note: It is very important that the faces that you want to paint are not in components or groups. Also it is recommended have internet explorer 9 or above so that the color picker works.

Hope this helps!

Krisidious wrote:Kooool...

Thanks...did it work for you no problem?

Dave R wrote:Interesting idea. I tried it on my Win7 machine. Edit: after running it several times with no results, I ran it again and finally got a color displayed however it just painted an entire face. It did not discern between shadow and lit regions on the face.

Have you set the sun position so that some faces are in shadow? I am not sure what is the problem at the moment but hopefully it will be figured out as soon as possible.

Thanks for feedback!
renderiza 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Rich O Brien » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:31 pm

Works for me on Win8 and IE10

Thanks Raphael
There's a frontroom and a backroom....reverse faces
Rich O Brien 
Administrator

Postby Dave R » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:33 pm

Have you set the sun position so that some faces are in shadow? I am not sure what is the problem at the moment but hopefully it will be figured out as soon as possible.

Yes. I had an ungrouped face on the ground plane with a model standing on it so part of the ground face was in shadow. The plugin simply painted the entire ground face the same color.

Edit: I've tried it again with another model. I added an ungroupd face casting a shadow onto another ungrouped face, tried selecting bot face, tried selecting nothing, tried selecting one or the other. No change in the shadows but now I have half a dozen black thumbnails in the In Model Materials library. This time the plugin didn't even paint the face on the ground plane.
%

(THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE)

G28 X0.0 Y0.0 Z0.0

M30

%
Dave R 
Global Moderator

Postby renderiza » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:45 pm

Rich O Brien wrote:Works for me on Win8 and IE10

Thanks Raphael

You welcome!

Dave R wrote:Yes. I had an ungrouped face on the ground plane with a model standing on it so part of the ground face was in shadow. The plugin simply painted the entire ground face the same color.

Currently the way the plugin detects when its on shadow is by projecting a ray from center of the face towards the sun and if there is something blocking it then it assumes its on shadow.

At the moment a single face will not be painted multiple ways depending if its on shadow or not since the shadow detection is not that complex to achieve that result yet.

Maybe a possible solution might be to try Shadow Projector by TIG viewtopic.php?t=41885 and then use Shadowtex but eveb TIG's plugin has its limits if model is too complex.

The way I currently use Shadowtex is to paint as much of the faces automatically and then I do the rest manually to fix errors and such.

Hope this helps...cheers!
renderiza 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby pilou » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:08 pm

Works for me in V7! :enlight:
Edit: I was too speed! :roll:
The selector of color don't well appear! :oops:
But I can enter the number! :)

Any plugin for color the Shadows itself ?

blues.jpg
Frenchy Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
Speedy Galerie
pilou 
Top SketchUcator

Postby Krisidious » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:00 am

renderiza wrote:Thanks...did it work for you no problem?

Yes, worked for me as described...

Don't know what I'll use it for, but it's certainly kool. I mistook it doing something else though. I thought it would put this color or pattern where ever the shadow landed. not where it originated from.
Home Designer
Unique House Plans
Krisidious 

Postby Anton_S » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:03 am

That's some interesting plugin! :thumb:
Thanks Renderiza

Anton_S 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby renderiza » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:38 am

Pilou wrote:Works for me in V7! :enlight:
Edit: I was too speed! :roll:
The selector of color don't well appear! :oops:
But I can enter the number! :)

Any plugin for color the Shadows itself ?

Do you have the Windows Internet Explorer 9 or above installed? The color sample feature need it to run properly although its nice to know you can at least input number.

As for a plugin that changes the shadow color I have not seen that. From what I have seen the SketchUp API doesn't have a way to call the shadow color but not 100% sure. It will certainly be a nice addition to SU 2014...again thanks for feedback!

Krisidious wrote:Yes, worked for me as described...

Don't know what I'll use it for, but it's certainly kool. I mistook it doing something else though. I thought it would put this color or pattern where ever the shadow landed. not where it originated from.

Making plugin put color or pattern where ever shadow lands while still be inside SketchUp will be pretty cool indeed. You can check out this plugin "NPR Tools" http://www.scriptspot.com/sketchup/plug ... r-sketchup it offers nice way to do what you suggested...the only thing is that it will work only on exported images and not give results inside SketchUp but it is still pretty good. Also they have nice library of sketchy texture that I like to use with Shadowtex...you just need to find the folder after you install it.

Anton_S wrote:That's some interesting plugin! :thumb:
Thanks Renderiza

You welcome Anton_S!

By the way I forgot to add "model.start_operation("Shadowtex", true)" and "model.commit_operation" so that you only need to click undo once but I already made changes and will be posting update soon for that. Will be trying to change faces inside groups as well...Again thanks for feedback!
renderiza 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Krisidious » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:22 am

TIG managed to cut them out....

viewtopic.php?p=371243#p371243
Home Designer
Unique House Plans
Krisidious 

Re: [Plugin] Shadowtex v1.0.1

Postby renderiza » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:17 am

Shadowtex v1.0.1 is updated!

Changes:
  • Only one click needed to undo all painted faces.
  • Shortened some code lines to iterate through faces.

Krisidious wrote:TIG managed to cut them out....

viewtopic.php?p=371243#p371243

I will put a Recommended Plugin section on main topic so that people can find out about TIG is plugin just in case they don't know about it.

Cheers!
renderiza 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby pilou » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:20 am

Do you have the Windows Internet Explorer 9 or above installed?

No, the IE6 is sufficient for me! 98 % of the plugins are working! :)
Frenchy Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
Speedy Galerie
pilou 
Top SketchUcator

Postby renderiza » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:46 am

Pilou wrote:
Do you have the Windows Internet Explorer 9 or above installed?

No, the IE6 is sufficient for me! 98 % of the plugins are working! :)

That is perfectly fine but please keep in mind that you may see new developers integrate HTML 5 & jQuery features to their plugins and that will open new possibilities in the future.

Cheers! :thumb:
renderiza 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby jiminy-billy-bob » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:47 am

Pilou wrote:the IE6 is sufficient for me!

Guess not, since some things aren't working ! Plus, you're making devs' life harder.

http://www.ie6countdown.com/
jiminy-billy-bob 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby renderiza » Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:34 am

Hi, in order to be more clear and avoid any confutions on what the plugin do I changed the description. Since English is not my main language and I am dyslexic it will be nice If I was to be corrected of any mistakes. Below is what a wrote...

Shadowtex targets a single ray from the center of a face, towards the direction of the sun and if a collision is detected preventing it from reaching that point, then it will be assumed that the face is in shadow. This method only works with loose faces, but if the plugin is activated while inside a group or component it will target all the faces there.

If shadows are only being projected in some areas of a single face, Shadowtex will not apply color or texture to does specific instances. Remember that the plugin only takes into consideration a single point on the center of the face and if that specific area is not on shadow it will assume the whole surface is like that as well.

Do not consider Shadowtex a one click solution, but instead a plugin that will require your assistance in completing a specific task.

Shadowtex is now on Trimble Extension Warehouse! :P

Extension Warehouse

click here

Note: If the latest version is not yet available at Extension Warehouse that means it is still awaiting to be approved by the quality assurance team to make sure extension meets the technical and security requirements.
renderiza 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby jojo9 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:51 am

small but a very nice idea! :thumb:

as i see from your example, we should get texture on the projected as on the self shadow.
Maybe i did too few tests, but my projected shadow rests always the default one, without texture.Hm…
jojo9 

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago

Ad Machine 
Robot

Return to Plugins