[Plugin] Work Plane

Re: [Plugin] Work Plane v2.3

Postby TIG » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:22 am

Here's v2.3 viewtopic.php?p=274345#p274345
Glitch when 'Adjust'ing a 'Disk' more than once is now fixed,
A new 'Hide/UnHide All' toggle option added to context-menu/tools-menu.
TIG
TIG 
Global Moderator

Postby CadFather » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:30 am

TIG, at least give me the time to finish writing my post! :shock: :fro:
CadFather 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby TIG » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:50 am

CadFather wrote:TIG, at least give me the time to finish writing my post! :shock: :fro:

The cause of the 'Adjust Disk' glitch was obvious to me as soon as you reported it - a line of code was not copied between the normal 'Disk Maker' and the 'Adjusted-Disk Maker' methods - thus the newly 'Adjusted' 'Disk' wasn't given its 'disk' attribute, and therefore the 'Adjust' tool thought it was a 'Plane' and so it 'Adjusted' it accordingly [wrongly!]. Note that 'Adjust' might still fail on older 'Disks', that were made before the recent updates and that don't have a 'disk' attribute - if so you need to re-make them and they will then be OK.

Pilou's Hide/UnHide [good] idea was also very simple to do - just a few lines of code switching the 'WORKPLANE' layer on/off...

:ugeek:
TIG
TIG 
Global Moderator

Postby CadFather » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:18 am

..i see, that actually makes sense.. still that was fast..
[speaking aside] ..and the day hasn't even started..!

Thanks! :thumb: :enlight:
CadFather 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby pilou » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:44 am

:thumb:

Seems this default will be a must ;)
(Toggle with Tab Key ?)
Default.jpg
Frenchy Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
Speedy Galerie
pilou 
Top SketchUcator

Postby simon le bon » Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:20 pm

Dear Tig,

I'm just trying this new tool which seems to me very interesting, first to build something multileveled, and else to build a part of the drawing with peculiar axes: "non orthogonal",or perpendicular to the screen with the model twisted in some obscure direction.
Additionally it seems also to me that Your
TIG_Flatten to Plane v1.1
and also
Fredo_Tools On Surface - v1.2 (with Contour Editor)
can help a lot..

I don't know if the problem I encounter with Tapper Tool which won't align guide lines with the WorkPlane grid is already referenced or not. But this kind of malfunction is diminishing the tool IMo

My best wishes for the festivities,

simon.
simon le bon 

Postby guanjin » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:01 pm

Not see how the other icon
未命名.jpg
guanjin 

Postby TIG » Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:22 pm

guanjin wrote:Not see how the other icon
未命名.jpg

What other icons ?
You can get additional tools' icons, but only IF you have those other scripts loading too...
TIG
TIG 
Global Moderator

Postby guanjin » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:38 pm

TIG wrote:
guanjin wrote:Not see how the other icon
未命名.jpg

What other icons ?
You can get additional tools' icons, but only IF you have those other scripts loading too...

To see pictures, there are four icons! Thank you!
未命名.jpg
guanjin 

Postby TIG » Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:54 pm

The other two icons only appear if you also have clinesaxes.rb loading.
Get it here viewtopic.php?p=273671#p273671 if you need them...
TIG
TIG 
Global Moderator

Postby guanjin » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:40 pm

TIG wrote:The other two icons only appear if you also have clinesaxes.rb loading.
Get it here viewtopic.php?p=273671#p273671 if you need them...

Thank you TIG, find you, always quick to solve the problem! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
guanjin 

Postby mmm-sued » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:17 pm

Sorry, but I can't get your plugin "Work Plane" working correct (Windows 7, Sketchup 8 - NOT Pro, only the free version). If I create a "New Plane" or a "New Disk", they always disappear, when I then try to use the pencil tool or any other drawing tool. Only the "New Protractor" works correct. What can I do?

mmm-sued 

Postby TIG » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:25 pm

mmm-sued wrote:Sorry, but I can't get your plugin "Work Plane" working correct (Windows 7, Sketchup 8 - NOT Pro, only the free version). If I create a "New Plane" or a "New Disk", they always disappear, when I then try to use the pencil tool or any other drawing tool. Only the "New Protractor" works correct. What can I do?
When you make the new WorkPlane you pick points in 3d to define it, then the final prompt tells you to "press <Enter> OR to Double-click to Confirm the new WorkPlane" - otherwise you will exit without saving the change ! So you are not confirming the WorkPlane but you are selecting another tool which then skips making a WorkPlane !!! :roll:
TIG
TIG 
Global Moderator

Postby mmm-sued » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:35 am

TIG wrote:
mmm-sued wrote:Sorry, but I can't get your plugin "Work Plane" working correct (Windows 7, Sketchup 8 - NOT Pro, only the free version). If I create a "New Plane" or a "New Disk", they always disappear, when I then try to use the pencil tool or any other drawing tool. Only the "New Protractor" works correct. What can I do?
When you make the new WorkPlane you pick points in 3d to define it, then the final prompt tells you to "press <Enter> OR to Double-click to Confirm the new WorkPlane" - otherwise you will exit without saving the change ! So you are not confirming the WorkPlane but you are selecting another tool which then skips making a WorkPlane !!! :roll:

Thanks a lot! Great Tool!

mmm-sued 

Postby jim smith » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:30 pm

TIg,

just wanted to thank you for the work plane plugin. I missed seeing it in 2010 and ran across it accidently while viewing a you tube tutorial.. Very very usefull timesaver. :thumb:
"Out of clutter find simplicity,
from discord find harmony,
In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity"
Albert Einstein
jim smith 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: [Plugin] Work Plane v2.3 > Scaling causes ungrouping of

Postby JClements » Sat Nov 10, 2012 6:37 pm

I notice if I use the context menu on a selected working plane and choose Working Plane > Scale and then do a rescale, that the working plane becomes ungrouped.

Is this intended?
John
Illustrator
Beaverton, Oregon
JClements 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: [Plugin] Work Plane v2.3 > Scaling causes ungrouping of

Postby TIG » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:06 pm

JClements wrote:I notice if I use the context menu on a selected working plane and choose Working Plane > Scale and then do a rescale, that the working plane becomes ungrouped.

Is this intended?
Probably not :roll:
I'll test it, if I understand you workflow correctly...
TIG
TIG 
Global Moderator

Postby TIG » Sat Nov 10, 2012 7:13 pm

If I use the context-menu WorkPlane > Scale, it scales the group as expected.
If I then use the native 'Reset Scale' item off the context-menu it resets it to its original size.
I assume this is the command to which you referred.
It does NOT ungroup [explode] the contents.
So, my version does it as expected, yours doesn't.
Do you have any third party scripts loading that might mess with this :?
TIG
TIG 
Global Moderator

Postby JClements » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:09 am

Tig, the only other thing I didn't mention previously was after choosing Scale from the Context Menu, I grabbed a corner scale handle, dragged inward, and then typed a value in the VCB of .5
John
Illustrator
Beaverton, Oregon
JClements 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby TIG » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:46 am

John

For me that method works just fine too.
So something is adrift between your setup and me [and most other users?]
TIG
TIG 
Global Moderator

Postby sfto1 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:53 pm

Hello TIG,

Is there a way to keep the grid from being deleted when I use the native delete guides tool?

I started on this path with the SU teams's "Grid" plugin, and mitcorb suggested I try your work plane plugin v2.3. Am I doing something incorrectly that the work palane guides disappear when I use that native option?

BTW, really cool plugin :enlight:
sfto1 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby TIG » Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:54 pm

No.

The native guide deleter erases ALL guides everywhere !
Inside placed instances/groups and everywhere.
They cannot be protected - evened 'locked' containers etc will lose content!

There are alternatives to the native guide-deleter...
Use one of those or accept that you cannot use the native guide-deleter OR that your WorkPlanes and any other object containing guides will loose them... :roll:
TIG
TIG 
Global Moderator

Postby sfto1 » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:01 pm

Thanks TIG
Cool plugin. I'll use some alternatives to preserve when needed.
sfto1 
Premium Member
Premium Member

[align face to plane] Newbie.

Postby paulckruger » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:12 pm

Perhaps my couple of weeks of playing renders me to much a newbie to understand this plugin. :(

I found it when searching for a way to correct a model with two objects where in the process of building them they "went astray" of the original plane so that when I try to print them on my Printerbot they are askew.

How can I use this plugin to align the bottom plane of both objects so they are flat on the new plane?

I created a disk that lays flat on the XY axis and can clearly see the objects are not lying flat but are slightly tilted. I spend a lot of time trying to manually rotate to get things aligned on the xy axis but just cannot seem to get there.

Is there a simple explanation or instruction on how to select a component and then make sure it's bottom face is aligned FLAT to the new disk? Then repeat for the second object so their bottom faces are both exactly on the same plane?

disk-align.jpg

Be gentle with me...I am not yet familiar enough with Sketchup for someone to just assume I already know all the functions.

Thanks in advance your your help guys ( and gals ) :enlight:

paulckruger 

Postby Dave R » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:02 pm

Paul, you don't need a plugin of any sort to align the bottoms of the objects. You can do this with just the Move tool. Select the object you wish to move and get the Move tool. Grab the selection at a point along the bottom and start moving it in the blue direction. Press and hold Shift to lock the direction of the Move and then move the cursor to the bottom of the other object. You can also use the up or down cursor keys to lock the direction although I'm partial to using the Shift key because it's only one key for locking direction and it works on off axis moves, too.
%

(THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE)

G28 X0.0 Y0.0 Z0.0

M30

%
Dave R 
Global Moderator

Postby mitcorb » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:12 pm

I thought some of his components were skewed from the vertical?
I take the slow, deliberate approach in my aimless wandering.
mitcorb 
Top SketchUcator

Postby Dave R » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:46 pm

They might be and of course that'll require other stuff. I didn't want to assmue, though.
%

(THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE)

G28 X0.0 Y0.0 Z0.0

M30

%
Dave R 
Global Moderator

Postby tspco » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:41 am

I installed this today, it might be more useful, if the units were not feet, perhaps some variables, feet, inches or feet+inches. Granted is is a simple matter to convert the units, but in the case of 16 inches, I feel 1'4" might be better that 1.33333.
Just my 2¢ worth.
SU make 2017, /Twilight Render Hobby
Windows 10,64 bit,16GB ram, quad core Athlon 3.6 gHz proc. Anything else you want to know, ask me.

tspco 

Postby Box » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:49 am

I think you will find it is using the units of the model. Try setting the model units to Fractional or whichever suits your model.
Box 

Postby tspco » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:37 pm

Box wrote:I think you will find it is using the units of the model. Try setting the model units to Fractional or whichever suits your model.

I use feet and inches, I tried putting in 1'4" and got an error.
SU make 2017, /Twilight Render Hobby
Windows 10,64 bit,16GB ram, quad core Athlon 3.6 gHz proc. Anything else you want to know, ask me.

tspco 

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago

Ad Machine 
Robot

PreviousNext

Return to Plugins