[Plugin] Dxf_In v2.2 20110517 Dxf2Skp

Re: [Plugin] Dxf_In v1.22

Postby honoluludesktop » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:28 pm

I thought that was what I was doing, but I will recheck my code, thanks.
honoluludesktop 
In Remembrance

Re: [Plugin] Dxf_In v2.0

Postby honoluludesktop » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:49 pm

Dxf_In v2.0 Beta is posted here. It cleans up some of the code, and adds Dxf layers to the supported entities. Hereafter, support for Dxf_In will be modest at best.
Temp00.png
Temp01.png
honoluludesktop 
In Remembrance

Re: [Plugin] Dxf_In v2.0 20110411

Postby arkitekt02 » Wed May 04, 2011 5:46 pm

I apologize if this has been discussed previously in the thread (I didn't see any mention of it). Is the DXF import plug-in compatible with a MAC operating system?

arkitekt02 

Postby honoluludesktop » Fri May 06, 2011 1:50 am

Within the limits of the supported entities (see help), Dxf_In has run on a Mac. The only place where there may be a problem, is in the way the application saves user preferences. However, no one has mentioned that to be a problem.
honoluludesktop 
In Remembrance

Postby Corb » Wed May 11, 2011 6:55 am

Hi,

first of all thank you very much for the hard work in making this precious plugin.
I was reluctanct to install SU8 because it lacks DWG/DXF import.

As I found your plugin I immediately downloaded SU8 and gave it a try.
I exported from Autocad 2011 a bunch of simple rectangles in dxf of several versions:
R12, 2000,2004,2007,2010.(BTW, up to which version the DXF is supported by your plug-in?)

I tried to import them into SU8(free) via the File/import DXF command in SU8 but none of them was imported.
Scale was correctly set, so I wonder what am I doing wrong.

I attach 2 dxf files (2000 and 2010) in case you have the time and patience to give them a look.
Any help from you or others who are following this thread will be greatly appreciated.

Again, many thanks for your work.
Cheers,

Win XP Pro x64 Edition
version 2003 Service Pack 2
Intel Core 2 Duo CPU
E7500@2.93GHz
3.93 GB Ram

Corb 

Postby honoluludesktop » Wed May 11, 2011 12:50 pm

Hi Cob, Attached are my imports of your files, 2000 below, and 2010 above. I moved them around to make this image, but did you zoom all after the import?
Temp00.png
Within limits of Dxf_In's list of supported entities (see Dxf_In Options menu, help options for help), I have successfully translated files from v10 to v2010, and the current additions to the plugin used Acad's Dxf reference for v2012.

Did you get any error messages?
Last edited by honoluludesktop on Wed May 11, 2011 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
honoluludesktop 
In Remembrance

Postby RadoAller » Wed May 11, 2011 1:22 pm

Hi,
First things first...I'd like to thank you for sharing this with us...
For me everything worked well uptill when I imported my dxf file and got the notice:
<Error> or Empty file.
I tried putting diff. types of models and none of them seemed to work.
If you have any idea about the possible solution please come back to me asap.
Thanks again,

RadoAller 

Re: [Plugin] Dxf_In v2.0 20110411 Dxf2Skp

Postby honoluludesktop » Wed May 11, 2011 2:15 pm

RadoAller, There are some Dxf entities that Dxf_In doesn't support. Check the Dxf_In Options menu, help options, for help. Also make sure that the Dxf file is an ASCII, not binary file. If you post your file here (the Dxf, and if you have one, the image of the model being imported), I can look at it to see what the problem may be.
honoluludesktop 
In Remembrance

Postby Corb » Thu May 12, 2011 2:39 am

Hi,

first of all thanks for your kind and speedy reply.
I retried today but didn't succeed in importing anything.

Yes, I did zoom all but nothing showed up.

Ruby Console message reads:

"Error: #<Errno::ENOENT: No such file or directory - C:\Documents and Settings\corbella\デスクトップ\test_v2000.dxf>
C:/Program Files (x86)/Google/Google SketchUp 8/Plugins/dxf_In_v2.0.rb:228:in `initialize'
C:/Program Files (x86)/Google/Google SketchUp 8/Plugins/dxf_In_v2.0.rb:228:in `open'
C:/Program Files (x86)/Google/Google SketchUp 8/Plugins/dxf_In_v2.0.rb:228:in `atelier_main_proc'
C:/Program Files (x86)/Google/Google SketchUp 8/Plugins/dxf_In_v2.0.rb:921
C:/Program Files (x86)/Google/Google SketchUp 8/Plugins/dxf_In_v2.0.rb:228:in `call'
C:/Program Files (x86)/Google/Google SketchUp 8/Plugins/dxf_In_v2.0.rb:228"

The strange thing is that it does not show me the shapes even when I import them with "pointer" for origin placement.
It looks like it ignores the import command.

I am using your v.2.0 version, dropped in the plugin folder.
Am I missing any other file?

Bye from Japan

Corb 

Postby honoluludesktop » Thu May 12, 2011 3:14 am

Corb, Dxf_In v2.0 is the current plugin. I see that you have a Kanji (or is it Katakana) directory in the path. I also see from the error message that the plugin failed at line 228, when the program first uses the file name to open itself. I am guessing that the problem is the plugin editor can not write the program to use the Japanese writing. Just guessing, but try accessing a Dxf file from a Drive\Path\FileName.dxf written only in English. If that is the problem, I will ask for help from others to fix it.
honoluludesktop 
In Remembrance

Postby Corb » Thu May 12, 2011 3:47 am

Yep!

The problem is caused by the katakana characters in the filepath.

I imported the v2010 dxf from an external drive with an english filepath and it showed up just fine !

Glad that there is a workaround for the moment.
Hope that someone can solve the issue, sooner or later. Language free would be good as SU is quite used her in Japan too.

Many thanks for your help !

Corb 

Postby honoluludesktop » Thu May 12, 2011 9:44 am

Corb, Apparently, the SketchUp API is based on Ruby 1.8, which is incapable of working with Japanese characters. You will have to place your Dxf files in a location that only contains standard ASCII characters.
honoluludesktop 
In Remembrance

Postby Corb » Thu May 12, 2011 9:51 am

Thank you.

Ok.
Maybe it`s SU8 that works in a different way then, because SU7 could import DXF from my Japanese computer even if the filepath had kana characters.

If solving this is impractical I will use SU7 for importing and then open the SKP file with SU8 to work on it.

Best !

Corb 

Postby honoluludesktop » Thu May 12, 2011 11:46 am

Hi Corb, SUv7's "Import Dxf" is hard coded, and doesn't depend on a Ruby Plugin. Until SketchUp incorporates a higher version of Ruby, plugins will be subject to the current restrictions. It's good that you have a alternate solution. SketchUp's "import dxf" will import more entities then Dxf_In, however it may not work with Acad v2010, and higher dxf files.
honoluludesktop 
In Remembrance

Postby Corb » Thu May 12, 2011 2:51 pm

I see.
Again, thanks really a lot for the great and friendly support to your plugin !
My best to you and Hawaii (I`d love to go there sooner or later).

Corb 

Postby honoluludesktop » Fri May 13, 2011 5:16 am

Corb, one of the resident genius on this forum suggested a way to accomplish using Japanese characters. I will need your help to see if I understand his suggestion, and to test it. If you are willing to work on this problem, pm me.
honoluludesktop 
In Remembrance

Postby Corb » Mon May 16, 2011 8:30 am

hi,

tested your v2.1.
Warning message appears.

This will be useful to notify users of the language problem.

Best !

Corb 

Postby honoluludesktop » Wed May 18, 2011 10:19 am

This is the update link for Dxf_In v2.2. Functionally it is no different from v2.0, but I have added messages regarding use of ASCII Drive\Path\File.dxf names, and ASCII Dxf files.
honoluludesktop 
In Remembrance

Re: [Plugin] Dxf_In v2.2 20110517 Dxf2Skp

Postby franbec » Wed May 18, 2011 2:54 pm

Hi, Thank you for share your valuable plugin, I downloaded today and is working fine for my needs.

franbec 

Postby mysterd429 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:13 pm

Hi all. I'm using Mac OS X 10.6 and Sketchup 8.0.4810. When I tried using the plugin, Sketchup crashed with no explanation. From then on, it wouldn't launch, even if I removed Dxf_in_v2.d.rb from the plugins folder. I had to reinstall Sketchup. I found the 2.0 installer at http://modelisation.nancy.archi.fr/rld/ ... php?id=735, but that gives me "<Error> or empty file".

Thanks for your work on this. Hopefully I can get it working.

mysterd429 

Postby honoluludesktop » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:49 pm

mysterd429, You wrote "Dxf_in_v2.d.rb". Is that a typo? Is my understanding that Dxf_In v2.2 (the latest update found here) crashes your system, and v2.0 (the version found at http://modelisation.nancy.archi.fr/rld/....) results in a error message, correct? I do not have access to a Mac, and your help is required to identify the problem.

The only differences between v2.0, and v2.2 are some error messages. First that Dxf_In is for ASCII Dxf files only (Dxf_In can not read Binary Dxf files), and second that the Drive\Path\FileName.dxf must be standard ASCII characters (SketchUp Ruby will not read non-standard ASCII characters). I do not know how these error messages could cause SketchUp to crash, but if v2.0 runs without crashing, and v2.2 doesn't, I suspect the problem is with attempting to translate a binary file on the Mac.

For now, can you open SketchUp with Dxf_In v2.0 installed, then from SketchUp open the Ruby Console (Window > Ruby Console), then attempt to import the problem Dxf file. If you get a error message in the Ruby Console, please copy, and upload the error message here.

Thanks, hdt
honoluludesktop 
In Remembrance

Postby mysterd429 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:58 am

Hi, hdt. Yes, the 2.d was a typo. It was supposed to be 2.2.

Using 2.0, I don't get anything in the Ruby console. I do get two progress bars across the bottom of the model window after choosing the DXF file, one after the other. The first is marked "Stage 1 [ 1 ]" and the second is marked "Stage 2 [ 1/1 ]".

So if there's anything you'd like me to try, let me know. I write software for a living, though I've never used Ruby.

Thanks!

mysterd429 

Postby honoluludesktop » Mon Jun 06, 2011 3:09 am

mysterd429, Can you upload your Dxf file, here or pm it to me? If not, see if you can import the attached Dxf file of a box.
Box00.dxf
honoluludesktop 
In Remembrance

Postby mysterd429 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:15 pm

I was unable to import Box00.dxf; I got the <Error> or empty file again. There was nothing in the Ruby console. The DXF file is from Illustrator; I've sent it to you by PM.

mysterd429 

Postby honoluludesktop » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:02 pm

mysterd429, Thanks for the file. It contains one entity, a spline. Dxf_In doesn't support splines as the math is beyond me. Attached is a image of a SketchUp Pro's import of your file. If your drawing doesn't resemble this image, it is because SketchUp Pro's importer doesn't support the Objects in your Dxf file. Go here for a way to change Dxf splines into Dxf polylines.

It appears that the nature of the problem has nothing to do with v2.2. You should be able to run it on your system.

Get Dxf_In help from the Dxf_In Options menu to see which Acad entities are supported by Dxf_In.
Temp00.png
honoluludesktop 
In Remembrance

Postby mysterd429 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:20 pm

honoluludesktop wrote:mysterd429, Thanks for the file. It contains one entity, a spline. Dxf_In doesn't support splines as the math is beyond me. Attached is a image of a SketchUp Pro's import of your file. If your drawing doesn't resemble this image, it is because SketchUp Pro's importer doesn't support the Objects in your Dxf file. Go here for a way to change Dxf splines into Dxf polylines.

It appears that the nature of the problem has nothing to do with v2.2. You should be able to run it on your system.

Get Dxf_In help from the Dxf_In Options menu to see which Acad entities are supported by Dxf_In.
Temp00.png

Thank you for your help. Are there other Mac users who are able to use v2.2, or am I the only one having issues? Or am I the only person using this plugin on a Mac?

I'm on my lunch break at work right now, but when I get home, I'll check to see if Illustrator can export DXF v12 and try that with the 2.0 version of the plugin. If that works, I'll have a solution that works for me.

mysterd429 

Postby honoluludesktop » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:12 pm

mysterd429, Yes, I know of a Mac OS 10.5 user that uses Dxf_In v2.0. If you decide to install, and run it, open the Ruby Console just in case. If you get an error message, send it to me for analysis. Aloha, hdt
honoluludesktop 
In Remembrance

Postby mysterd429 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:12 am

Thanks for the reply, hdt. After several tries of using the 2.0 plugin with the "<Error> or empty file", I am now getting a crash on startup. It looks like it's crashing pretty badly. I opened the Mac "Console" application, which dumps out error messages, and I saw this awful mess about classes being defined in multiple places and a bunch of malloc errors. I can send this to you by PM if you'd like, but none of it seems ruby-related.

I'm running MacOS 10.6 for what it's worth. Thanks again!

mysterd429 

Postby honoluludesktop » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:26 am

mysterd429, It may be a Ruby related problem. First of all, make sure that you do not have multiple copies of Dxf_In installed. SketchUp loads all of the plugins at once. If a plugin "method" has the same name as another plugin's, the system may fail. If the problem is not multiple copies, pm the error message, and I will ask for help.
honoluludesktop 
In Remembrance

Postby honoluludesktop » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:45 am

mysterd429, Thanks for the error message, I have posted in the "Developers" section to see if anyone understands it. Dxf_In uses the Pc Registry (the MAC's 'plist') to store user preferences. One of our resident geniuses has suggested this area may be the problem.

The application, Intrinsic Alchemy is identified in the first line of the error message, is it running whenever you experience a SketchUp failure?

If you are interested, the discussion of the problem is here. There may be a easy way to restore your system without reinstalling SketchUp. Do you have access to the MAC's version of a PC's 'regedit', a editor for the MAC's 'plist'?

A MAC user suggested that the 'plist' message minor, and that:
"if someone else with 10.6 could run console starts with and without your plugin and compare those results, it will show if it's yours..."
His post is here. If you can, do this before the following. Please pm the results to me.

Check your pm for a version of Dxf_In with a new section/key for the MAC's 'plist'. Test it without running Intrinsic Alchemy. If OK, try running it along with Intrinsic Alchemy. Don't forget to remove all versions of Dxf_In before installing it. I Googled the error message CFPropertyListCreateFromXMLData(): Old-style plist parser: missing semicolon in dictionary., and apparently it is associated with MACs.
honoluludesktop 
In Remembrance

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago

Ad Machine 
Robot

PreviousNext

Return to Plugins