[Plugin] Edge Tools

Re: [Plugin] Edge Tools (2.0.4) — 11 July 2011

Postby MartinK » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:40 pm

Thanks for the plugin. I'm getting ready to try the simplify curves routine on a large number of contours. As always, these plugins you and others generously make available are great time savers, and I appreciate your efforts. Thanks again. :thumb:

MartinK 

Postby xiombarg » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:13 am

Man, I am just amazed. Your plugins are the zen that I've wished Sketchup had. Great work, seriously.
xiombarg 

Postby rock1 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:42 am

on dividing a face with lines is there a way that the divisions go at a fixed distance. for. e.g. we copy one line at 1m and repeat copy it, we press 6x to make 6 copies for it. the same thing i want to do with this plugin, hw is this possible :?:
Signature removed by SCF Admin

rock1 

Postby thomthom » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:07 am

rock1 wrote:on dividing a face with lines is there a way that the divisions go at a fixed distance. for. e.g. we copy one line at 1m and repeat copy it, we press 6x to make 6 copies for it. the same thing i want to do with this plugin, hw is this possible :?:

By using the VCB - similar to how you use the native Move tool.
Thomas Thomassen — SketchUp Monkey & Coding addict
List of my plugins and link to the CookieWare fund
thomthom 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby chango70 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:55 am

Very useful, thank you!

chango70 

Postby jeff hammond » Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:40 pm

jeez :shock: .. i missed this plugin too.. some awesome stuff in there!
thanks.

re: this post:

viewtopic.php?p=365178#p365178

i think what i'd like for it to do might complicate the 'simplify curves' option.. it works great now in many cases (setting to 0 which joins all applicable edges)

what i'd like to be able to do is have it weld everything except there would be some sort of filter(?) in place that won't weld anything less than a certain angle... like if the angle between two edges is sharper than, say, 1 radian then the edges won't be joined..

just an idea and one that i personally wouldn't use very often (and i imagine i'd use it more than most people.. maybe once or twice during a heavy modeling session..)

if you like the idea then go for it.. otherwise, don't sweat it :D
dotdotdot
jeff hammond 
Global Moderator

Postby hhdk » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:30 pm

So useful! it's also perfect for solving line problems that occurs on autocad imports.

hhdk 

Postby guanjin » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:25 am

The first tool, if the offset of the linear, such as CAD

CAD.gif
Powerful, can change? Perhaps my request is too much! ! :D
I come from China, is to learn
guanjin 

Postby thomthom » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:36 am

That you can do with the native Move - using the copy array modifier.
thomthom 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby guanjin » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:48 pm

thomthom wrote:That you can do with the native Move - using the copy array modifier.

Not quite understand,Can only offset the surface line,As above, and CAD functions.I'm just too greedy,Tool itself is very strong :fecstatic:
painyi.gif
guanjin 

Postby thomthom » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:16 pm

SketchUp's Move Tool :move:
http://support.google.com/sketchup/bin/ ... swer=94867

You just need to do a linear array to do what you showed in the CAD animation.
thomthom 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby guanjin » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:56 pm

thomthom wrote:SketchUp's Move Tool :move:
http://support.google.com/sketchup/bin/ ... swer=94867

You just need to do a linear array to do what you showed in the CAD animation.

Thank you thom thom
This is very complex, :D :D
guanjin 

Postby brookefox » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:03 am

Please see the image for a use of 'face divide' for quickly uniformly hatching a face. It works very well for this as I understand it: click an edge, move to the farthest edge to check distance (and alternatively input a distance), then divide by a number which will result in the size hatch you want.

Thank you.

FORGET THIS: Any chance for a mod so it can be used like copy multiple, thereby saving a step, or is this already possible? I see up above that you say it is... I guess your way only takes two steps, just like copy multiple. So, yeah, forget it.
edge tools -1.JPG

With this hatch roads to be abandoned are indicated. The potential transparency of such edge hatches reads much better than textures, IMO. Yes, I agree, it is surely not the best way to do this, creating as it does 500 or so new edges.
edge tools -2.JPG
~ Brooke
brookefox 

Postby function » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:08 am

Hi, I updated to ttLib 2.6 and the new edge tool and it no longer gives me thr heads up display or red circles :(

function 

Postby thomthom » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:45 am

function wrote:Hi, I updated to ttLib 2.6 and the new edge tool and it no longer gives me thr heads up display or red circles :(

Any errors in the Ruby Console?

Are you sure you installed the updates correctly?
thomthom 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby function » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:44 pm

Ill have to look when I get home. I installed fredos multi directory at the time, and since it wasnt working I installed it back to root plug folder.. Maybe it is the division of the lib in different directories

function 

Postby rv1974 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:59 am

I'm really missing 'divide face' tool working with multiple (connected) edges. :roll:

rv1974 

Postby thomthom » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:06 am

rv1974 wrote:I'm really missing 'divide face' tool working with multiple (connected) edges. :roll:

Wouldn't Tools on Surface do what you want there?
thomthom 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby rv1974 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:37 am

thomthom wrote:
rv1974 wrote:I'm really missing 'divide face' tool working with multiple (connected) edges. :roll:

Wouldn't Tools on Surface do what you want there?

doh! I forgot TOS offset works non-curves. thanks!

rv1974 

Postby rv1974 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:00 am

I re-found why TOS offset is no good for me. Can one make it to extend the resulted curve to the face border?

rv1974 

Postby Dave R » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:04 am

It is doing what it should do and it it mathematically correct. You can extend those line segments with the Line tool. You could also try using Matt666's ExtendTool.
%

(THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE)

G28 X0.0 Y0.0 Z0.0

M30

%
Dave R 
Global Moderator

Postby rv1974 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:19 am

Dave R wrote:It is doing what it should do and it it mathematically correct. You can extend those line segments with the Line tool. You could also try using Matt666's ExtendTool.

Yes captain I realize that it's undoubtedly correct behavior. Initially I just asked Thomthom to extend his 'divide tool' (by accepting multiple edges)

rv1974 

Postby thomthom » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:24 am

rv1974 wrote:
Dave R wrote:It is doing what it should do and it it mathematically correct. You can extend those line segments with the Line tool. You could also try using Matt666's ExtendTool.

Yes captain I realize that it's undoubtedly correct behavior. Initially I just asked Thomthom to extend his 'divide tool' (by accepting multiple edges)

The key concept of the Divide Tool was that you didn't pre-pick edges. It was to allow you to quickly pick a reference edge and make a split. Multiple edges would be a completely different tool.
thomthom 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby rv1974 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:35 am

thomthom wrote:
rv1974 wrote:

The key concept of the Divide Tool was that you didn't pre-pick edges. It was to allow you to quickly pick a reference edge and make a split. Multiple edges would be a completely different tool.

..would be completely different amazing tool ;)

rv1974 

Postby rumcajs » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:10 pm

Thanks to great plugin. It is something that i looked for, just it misses something.

I have a REQ to update/upgrade.

This is what I did:

(the light red lines are original locations of the diagonals, which I tried to remove. You can see I succeed to removed only two).

I had a scull which contains triangles and I wanted to reduce the triangles, so that I want to remove the diagonal of the rectangle shape area. Therefor I select two lines which are nearly parallel and the diagonal. Then I clicked the green colinear icon. It works to flat the edges onto one plane, so I can delete the diagonal. But if I want to correct the next area, then the previous area will generate diagonal... Here I am where I was on the start. Could it be possible to define the area (select faces), which is already fine and I won't be touched? So the edges of that face won't be touched?

This is the point what I miss. A possibility to limit the edges to move (=forbid some edges/faces to move) and/or possibility to define angle, in which it can be moved.
My original idea, before I found this thread was to have a definition plane, such as it is in the Fredo Scale tools (the Stretching with orientation of scaling box). So if you would have such orientation plane, you could define, where the plane should be moved (angle& position). Purpose of such plane is to define position and angle of the plane. Something like Fredo already did in his great Fredo Scale tools (they are good for control, and that is what I like and therefor mention here as good example). The plane needs only one direction to move, and this would define axis perpendicularly to the plane. I expect that the angle possibilities are defined by the selected tool and the differences between selected edges (so in my case, when I have 3 edges, only two angles are possible to infer - just an assumption).
Last edited by rumcajs on Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rumcajs 

Postby pilou » Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:10 pm

Put file In V6 ;)
It's better for everybody! :)
An image ist sufficient! :ugeek:
Frenchy Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
Speedy Galerie
pilou 
Top SketchUcator

Postby rumcajs » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:41 pm

OK I attached file to previous post of mine. But I think the image is sufficient, and if you think it is not, then install fredo Scale tool, because the Stretching tool + twist tool, is enough to get inspiration.

rumcajs 

Postby beginner » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:42 pm

ThomThom,
Really good plugin.
You can appreciate it if you work with AutoCAD files.
Regards, SU 'beginner'
beginner 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby jorge2011 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:46 am

Thom, if I when be able use the new toolbar "architecture"?. :) thanks

jorge2011 

Postby thomthom » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:42 am

jorge2011 wrote:Thom, if I when be able use the new toolbar "architecture"?. :) thanks

Soon my friend, soon! :D
thomthom 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago

Ad Machine 
Robot

PreviousNext

Return to Plugins