[Plugin] UV Toolkit

Re: [Plugin] UV Toolkit (2.2.2) — 06 February 2011

Postby thomthom » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:11 am

butterflyer wrote:I was having trouble with sketchup and wanted to do a clean install but could not get rid of this TT_lib2 no matter what I did I even sent it through a government type deletion and nada why would that happen. everytime sketchup opens it comes up with an error pertaining to that lib2 I followed all instructions when putting it in?
ps new to sketchup but do know how to follow instructions
as soon as I took out ruby scripts error message went away but still cannot delete that file here is the files full name TT_lib2_-_2.4.0.zip
when I opened that zip file it listed all my paint and 3d programs along with my documents why?

It's a bit hard to fully understand everything you describe, but did you do what Gaeius suggested, closing SU before removing the files?
Can you post a screenshot of your Plugins folder?
Also: what is the error messages you got? (These are important to include in questions as they have important information that pin-point where the problem lies.)
Thomas Thomassen — SketchUp Monkey & Coding addict
List of my plugins and link to the CookieWare fund
thomthom 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby hgagne » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:51 pm

Hi thomthom,

Firstly, a quick thank you for all of your contributions. :thumb:

I've been experimenting (aka still learning) with SketchUp Standard over the last few weeks and have built several models of buildings (inside & outside) - no materials/textures applied at the moment. I now need to create/fix/clean the UV Map before I can export these models and came accross this thread in my search for the tools to do this.

A few questions I have are ...

Q - Is there an additional plugin that I need to take all the parts of a model and flatten them out to a 2D-plane in preparation of UV Mapping? I need to create a single diffuse (texture) image which contains all of the model parts so that i may be altered later using a graphics/paint application.

Q - Where can I find the sample "UV" image that appears in your YouTube demo at Post 1? I looked in the .\images folder and did not see it. Tried finding a "checkered" or "color grid" pattern and haven't had much success on that front either. I'm guessing these mapping images aren't standard issue. ;)

Appreciate any reference links/info.

hgagne 

Postby thomthom » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:07 pm

hgagne wrote:Q - Is there an additional plugin that I need to take all the parts of a model and flatten them out to a 2D-plane in preparation of UV Mapping? I need to create a single diffuse (texture) image which contains all of the model parts so that i may be altered later using a graphics/paint application.

UV Unwrapping is not something that exists for SketchUp yet. But Whaat has created a plugin that bridges SketchUp with third party mapping utilities. viewtopic.php?t=23725

hgagne wrote:Q - Where can I find the sample "UV" image that appears in your YouTube demo at Post 1? I looked in the .\images folder and did not see it. Tried finding a "checkered" or "color grid" pattern and haven't had much success on that front either. I'm guessing these mapping images aren't standard issue. ;)

It's a map I created my self. You can find better ones if you google for UV mapping test textures.
thomthom 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby hgagne » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:24 am

thomthom wrote:UV Unwrapping is not something that exists for SketchUp yet. But Whaat has created a plugin that bridges SketchUp with third party mapping utilities. viewtopic.php?t=23725

It's a map I created my self. You can find better ones if you google for UV mapping test textures.

I've been experimenting with UVTools & UVToolkit since I posted my question and starting to build a comfort level. Appreciate the quick response, UV Map, and link to UVTools.

Best,

hgagne 

Postby KarinaGM » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:26 pm

I've just downloaded the plugin and I get this error when I open SU
Also my tools (the icons) are a mess, spread all over the screen :S
and even the tools I don't have in the bar, because I rarely use them, are showing...
error.jpg
"Aquel que sacrifica un poco de libertad por seguridad, no se merece ninguna y terminará perdiendo ambas"

-Benjamín Franklin.

KarinaGM 

Postby Rich O Brien » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:35 pm

Have you installed TT_Lib 2? That error seems to indicate it's not able to locate it?
There's a frontroom and a backroom....reverse faces
Rich O Brien 
Administrator

Postby KarinaGM » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:44 pm

Rich O'Brien wrote:Have you installed TT_Lib 2? That error seems to indicate it's not able to locate it?

:oops: Nope, I installed and I don't get the error now
Now I have to learn to use it
Thanks for the fast response
"Aquel que sacrifica un poco de libertad por seguridad, no se merece ninguna y terminará perdiendo ambas"

-Benjamín Franklin.

KarinaGM 

Postby Rich O Brien » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:29 pm

Quick question...

After mapping to quad faces I decided to 'Save As' on the mapped component. When I looked in my Components folder there were lots of images of each mapped quad. Is this normal?
Rich O Brien 
Administrator

Postby thomthom » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:41 pm

eh..? no... that sounds like bad voodoo...
thomthom 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby Rich O Brien » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:03 pm

Sorry, I'm having difficulty with this and Thea
Rich O Brien 
Administrator

Postby Gaieus » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:01 am

Is this the issue with those faces you triangulated later?
Gaieus 

Postby thomthom » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:11 am

You get those texture files immediately after you use UV-Tools - or when you go to Render..?
thomthom 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby Rich O Brien » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:27 am

Is this the issue with those faces you triangulated later?

Yes

You get those texture files immediately after you use UV-Tools - or when you go to Render..?

I get those if I Fit to Quad Faces within a component then 'Save As' that component to the Component Library. Though I done it twice by accident I can't repeat it now? So let's forget this for now.

But here's what is happening between UV'ing and exporting to Thea.

[a] Fit to Quads
[b] Export (Hierarchy On), UVs get messed
[c] Export (Hierarchy Off), Lots of textures appear in Thea

I'll continue to investigate the 'Save As' issue i HAD... :?
Rich O Brien 
Administrator

Postby Gaieus » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:36 am

Here's the Thea topic (just answered there myself):
http://www.thearender.com/forum/viewtop ... =83&t=5665

TT, I could not find that topic where you (and others) compared different render engines and how they distort skewed materials.
Gaieus 

Postby Rich O Brien » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:49 am

I'm not following that tut you mentioned. So I'm not making these unique. I'm doing something out of sequence though?
Rich O Brien 
Administrator

Postby Gaieus » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:14 am

No, sorry, I have corrected myself in the Thea thread.
Gaieus 

Postby thomthom » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:06 pm

Gaieus wrote:TT, I could not find that topic where you (and others) compared different render engines and how they distort skewed materials.

viewtopic.php?f=180&t=23947

Basically, from this thread it appear render engines for SketchUp do one of two things:

1. They access the low-level triangulated polygon mesh in SketchUp and sample UV co-ordinates for each triangle vertex. This leads to distorted textures being rendered incorrectly because distorted textures requires 4 UV points. (Unscaled, Scales, Stretched and Skewed works fine however.)

2. They check for distorted textures on faces and export a unique bitmap for each face. This leads to an array of textures/materials in the destination render. It also produce incorrect UV's if the material is layered. As the distorted SketchUp texture is converted into a non-distorted texture. If the render engine user use multiple layers for that material, they won't line up with because the additional texture resources used isn't transformed like the distorted SketchUp texture is. (At least I've not seen any engines that does this.)

So none of the solution is ideal - but one can often get away with it without noticing the flaws if the geometry or texture projection isn't too extreme.
thomthom 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby Gaieus » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:29 pm

Thanks. I was looking everywhere BUT the Dev forum. :?
Gaieus 

Postby Rich O Brien » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:45 pm

Thanks guys, that explained a great deal. I'll use UU3D to map the arch instead.
Rich O Brien 
Administrator

Postby Gaieus » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:05 pm

You can use the other method of texturing an arch with UV Toolkit I posted here. That works with Thea.

Also Tgi3D Amorph should work (the same way: remember > restore UV's).
Gaieus 

Postby Rich O Brien » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:27 pm

But the arch is already bent. Trying to reverse engineer would be hassle. Unless i'm not thinking straight
Rich O Brien 
Administrator

Postby Gaieus » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:59 pm

Yes, that's true. This is why I am also urging TT to finish that feature where you could simply make a straight piece (with the same amount of segments), texture it then copy UV's and paste UV's onto the other face (which can be curved).

But everything and anything is more important to him...
I guess he is eating cookies now for instance. :roll:
Gaieus 

Postby thomthom » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:03 pm

Cookies do affect my priorities - alas, I've yet received any cookies. :(
thomthom 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby Pixero » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:58 pm

Here are a few.
1209845032g1Dezj.jpg

Now get started... ;)
Pixero 

Postby d12dozr » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:10 pm

And some more...
Is that enough? :mrgreen:
3D Printing with SketchUp Book
http://goo.gl/f7ooYh

d12dozr 
Top SketchUcator

Postby iconkid » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:02 am

I'm getting an error message when Sketchup8 loads after installing UV Toolkit2.2.2

Error Loading File clipboard.rb
uninitialized constant TTError Loading File core.rb
uninitialized constant TTError Loading File loader.rb
no such file to load -- TT_Lib2/core.rbError Loading File memory.rb
uninitialized constant TTError Loading File quadface.rb
uninitialized constant TTError Loading File C:/Program Files/Google/Google SketchUp 8/Plugins/TT_UV_Toolkit/loader.rb
no such file to load -- TT_Lib2/core.rbError Loading File tt_uv_toolkit_2.rb
no such file to load -- TT_Lib2/core.rb

How can it be that these files can't be found? If you look at the screen shot of my Plugins folder and TT_UV_Toolkit folder everthing is exactly where they are supposed to be according to the "footprint" (path diagram) on the first page of this thread. What is the "TT_Lib2" folder? That folder is not mentioned in the path diagram.

iconkid 

Postby Gaieus » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:05 am

Hi Jeff,

Please, read the first posts where these plugins are published carefully. You seem to have missed the Requirements where it says you need the TT_Lib 2 plugin library for this plugin to work. Some author collect code sniplets they regularly use in different other plugins into "libraries" and these plugins share these sniplets so they are smaller altogether (or at least this is how I understand it)
Gaieus 

Postby iconkid » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:46 pm

Gaieus:

Thanks!

iconkid 

Postby Elibjr » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:44 pm

Thank you Sir! :thumb:
Elibjr 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby The Pixel Artist » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:30 pm

Hey SU'ers,

First off, Thomas, thank you so much for all the amazing plugins you've made and all the hard work you've done for the SU community! It's been quite a long time since I've been active on these forums, so I haven't had a chance to tell you. Big thanks! :thumb:

Anyhow, I just started using this plugin the other day on a new project that has lots of curved brick headers and details and your plugins has worked amazing well!! I normally have to build a custom texture for each arch in photoshop. So this was really a time saver! Was also able to use it to speed up the roof texturing.

Here's a couple images from this project...
http://www.thepixelartist.com/c2005007/ ... -img08.jpg
http://www.thepixelartist.com/c2005007/ ... -img07.jpg

Unfortunately, today I'm having a big problem getting your plugin to work. I updated a bunch of my plugins yesterday, including all of your plugins of which I use and the TT_Lib2. The remember and restore function seem to be completely broken for me now! Not sure what the heck I did, but here's an image of what's happening. It either doesn't work at all or only a few faces gets restored.
http://www.thepixelartist.com/c2005007/ ... -img01.jpg

Anyone having the same problem or have any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Edit1
: I don't know if this will help, but I noticed that when I try to reset the texture position for any area that didn't update it made a new, cropped version of the brick texture (screen shot below). Also, the areas that didn't restore don't have the option to copy/paste UV either (icons are inactive).
http://www.thepixelartist.com/c2005007/ ... creen1.jpg

Edit2: OK, found the problem... turns out it's an issue with the new Fredoscale 2.2a and not UV Toolkit. The radial bending seems to break the ability to restore the UV now. I went back to Fredoscale 2.1a and it works just fine again. I'll post this to the Fredoscale thread.
http://www.thepixelartist.com/c2005007/ ... creen2.jpg

The Pixel Artist 

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago

Ad Machine 
Robot

PreviousNext

Return to Plugins