[Plugin] UVTools v0.1

Re: [Plugin] UVTools v0.1

Postby kwistenbiebel » Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:55 am

@Whaat,

I can't seem to find a way to apply the cilindrical uv-mapping to both sides of a surface.
Any suggestion on how to do that?
I' m curently trying to render a clipmap texture which is cilindrical mapped on a cilinder using Fryrender.
Having the ability to map both sides of the cilinder surface would be a big Plus.

Thanks in advance.

kwistenbiebel 

Postby solo » Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:22 am

LOL, I had that exact situation last week, trying to map a barbed wire fence clipmap/alpha to a sphere. There was no way I could map the back faces. :?

I ended up using Hexagon (nurb modeler) to map the sphere and import it.
http://www.solos-art.com

If you see a toilet in your dreams do not use it.
solo 
Global Moderator

Postby Frederik » Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:22 am

Would that be necessary to map the back-face with the clip-map for a render..?? :?
I assume that the clip-map is identical to the actual texture in size, and in the render application you apply the clip-map texture in the clip-mapping channel...
Or what am I missing..?? :?
Cheers
Kim Frederik
Frederik 
Thea Render Support
Thea Render Support

Postby kwistenbiebel » Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:57 am

In some cases it is not needed.
But in my case and the case Solo describes a cilindrical mapped fence seen on both sides in an animation, it is useful.
Last edited by kwistenbiebel on Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kwistenbiebel 

Postby remus » Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:53 pm

Im guessing this isnt the case in other renders, but in indigo its pretty useful to map clip/displacement maps on to the reverse faces. its an easy way to get the UVs right without having to do lots of messing around.

remus 

Postby coo_man » Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:24 am

Thanks brother, this is very useful for me.

coo_man 

Postby pilou » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:06 am

I ended up using Hexagon (nurb modeler)

Are you sure of that? Nurbs : I don't think so ;)
Frenchy Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
Speedy Galerie
pilou 
Top SketchUcator

Postby solo » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:14 am

Hexagon is primarily a subdivision modeler however, the new version has deformers (Twist, Bend, Taper) which work on subparts of objects. A new and more generic deformer has been added: the Free From Deformation Cage, which allows smooth complex deformations of a model, using a 3D Nurbs cage.
http://www.solos-art.com

If you see a toilet in your dreams do not use it.
solo 
Global Moderator

Postby TaffGoch » Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:11 am

Using Whaat's plugin, texture from NASA's "Blue Marble" project, and a 4096-pixel OpenGL-texture registry hack, I'm delighted to find that I can reproduce (totally within SketchUp) results comparable to the Blue Marble globe images on the NASA webpage! (No external rendering - these are cropped SketchUp screen grabs.)

Marvelous tool, Dale :berserk: You've fulfilled a wish! :ecstatic:

(...and, of course, I used a geodesic sphere to provide the triangular tessellation.)
Taff
Last edited by TaffGoch on Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Information is not knowledge." -- Albert Einstein
TaffGoch 

Postby fakircho » Fri Oct 31, 2008 8:34 am

I gave the UV tool a try and it works ok but i am getting some weird issues.
See attached, any ideas why it is doing that ?

fakircho 

Postby Whaat » Sat Nov 01, 2008 3:43 am

fakircho wrote:I gave the UV tool a try and it works ok but i am getting some weird issues.
See attached, any ideas why it is doing that ?

Looks weird....are you using spherical or cylindrical? I would suggest using cylindrical. Also...what is the scale of your object? The plugin might fail on faces that are very small so try increasing the size of the object.

Whaat 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby fakircho » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:15 pm

i made the object 10 times bigger and the UV is much better :berserk:

fakircho 

Postby Gaieus » Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:13 pm

I gues now you can safely reduce the size back without braking the UV.

Good to know such tricks, thanks Whaat! :thumb:
Gaieus 

Postby fakircho » Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:58 am

Yes you are quite correct. Once the texture is applied correctly ,you can scale the object back down :D

fakircho 

Postby bbwolf » Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:05 am

Okay I know you´re all big shots and do renderings at an amazing rate but I still can´t get desired results in SU. UVTools is in the Plug in Folder (OSX 10.4.9 btw) and I tried to project a text. See attached pics.

Question, is text just not for UVTools or do I make a mistake (or more) somewhere in process?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks

Wolf

bbwolf 

Postby Gaieus » Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:12 am

Do you want the text to be repeated or only appear at the same size and only once?
Gaieus 

Postby majid » Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:53 pm

Thanx dear WHATT .i did a try over this usefull script ( after a long while ) , and rendered it using KT, here is the result:
viewtopic.php?f=81&t=14993
hope u joy
My perspective shortcuts book: https://bit.ly/30Tdbce
majid 
Top SketchUcator

Postby crc » Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:32 am

Just found this, really great!

Thanks!

crc 

Postby chango70 » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:59 pm

Is UVTools still on v0.1? Does it work in SU7?

chango70 

Postby Whaat » Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:14 am

should work fine on SU7

Whaat 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby xrok1 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:48 pm

if you could look at this file, if you have time not too important. if you dB click inside one of the body parts (select all) then apply a spherical map to it, it crashes every time?
tank.skp
“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.”

http://www.Twilightrender.com try it!

xrok1 

Postby Carwash » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:30 am

Hiya

Sketchup newb here, but I really need to do some UV mapping for a game. I need to stetch and position a texture on a flat surface but the defult tools in SU don't seem to change the position of the texture in the game once the model is exported. Are there any tools to do UV mapping on flat surfaces? Or am I totally barking up the wrong tree here...

Carwash 

Postby Chris Fullmer » Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:57 pm

Have you tried the built in material positioning system? You should be able to right click on a single face and choose "Texture>Position". Then there are some little positioning tools that show up on the face. Check out the help docs for more info on how to use them. But essentially they help rotate, skew, scale , and place the material. Try that see if it helps keep the material placed correctly in the game,

Chris
Lately you've been tan, suspicious for the winter.
All my Plugins I've written
Chris Fullmer 
SketchUp Team
SketchUp Team

Postby Richard » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:31 am

Hey has anyone managed to map a sphere the same on both the normal and reverse sides? Would love one mapped with a 2:1 image if they have mastered this!

Trying to create a sphere mapped with a PNG grid, so that I can develop a component that can be used as a tool for getting the correct coordinates for offset values when positioning HDRI maps in renderers! See the attached poor example.

The idea is that an Grid with numerical values (PNG image) can be placed over a HDRI in PS and the yellow dot placed over the main light source as a reference, the HDRI image hidden and the file exported and reloaded into the sphere mapping.

The Globe can then be rotated where you want your light source to be and the values read where they correspond to the red indicator and these values then used as offsets in the rendering app to correctly locate the HDRI illumination channel.

Richard 

Postby thomthom » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:31 am

That's very interesting on what you're doing Richard. Would you mind making a post when you've perfected this?

For transfering UV mapped textured from front to back and the other way around you can use this plugin: viewtopic.php?f=180&t=14684

But I'm not sure if that's what you're asking for? I see that the top of your sphere's texture is distorted while the bottom isn't. Was this what you where referring to?
Thomas Thomassen — SketchUp Monkey & Coding addict
List of my plugins and link to the CookieWare fund
thomthom 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby Richard » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:16 pm

thomthom wrote:That's very interesting on what you're doing Richard. Would you mind making a post when you've perfected this?

For transfering UV mapped textured from front to back and the other way around you can use this plugin: viewtopic.php?f=180&t=14684

But I'm not sure if that's what you're asking for? I see that the top of your sphere's texture is distorted while the bottom isn't. Was this what you where referring to?

Mate I'm just not sure that would work with Whaat's spherical mapping?

I certainly shall keep posted! I worked out a simple way to get the HDRI sun in exactly the same direction as the SU sun so that the SU sun can be used as a guide for shadow cast from the final HDRI!

UPDATE
Richard 

Postby thomthom » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:22 pm

I shouldn't matter how you map the faces. The UV Mirror plugin should be able to transfer them anyway.

This gizmo of your is looking good. I'm very interested in this. And I'm sure there's a large bunch over at ASGVis's forum that'd be happy to see this.
Thomas Thomassen — SketchUp Monkey & Coding addict
List of my plugins and link to the CookieWare fund
thomthom 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby Richard » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:00 pm

[quote="thomthom"]I shouldn't matter how you map the faces. The UV Mirror plugin should be able to transfer them anyway.[quote]

And perfectly it did mate, thanks a bundle! Great job!
Richard 

Postby milena » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:49 pm

Whaat wrote:
stinkie wrote:Tip: trying this plugin on an untextured object causes the fastest splat you've ever seen. Zappp - and SU's gone. :mrgreen:

Thanks for the comment. This is an easy fix.

Splat and splat, I tried with the scale, with untextured and textured object, but splat is much faster. I tried on the different coputer.. I can use UVtools only once after first "installation", first object is perfect and than splat, splat. Can someone help me, please? My objects are not so complicate, revolve surfaces (like vase).

milena 

Postby Whaat » Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:52 am

milena wrote:
Whaat wrote:
stinkie wrote:Tip: trying this plugin on an untextured object causes the fastest splat you've ever seen. Zappp - and SU's gone. :mrgreen:

Thanks for the comment. This is an easy fix.

Splat and splat, I tried with the scale, with untextured and textured object, but splat is much faster. I tried on the different coputer.. I can use UVtools only once after first "installation", first object is perfect and than splat, splat. Can someone help me, please? My objects are not so complicate, revolve surfaces (like vase).

Please upload the SKP file so I can take a look. Thanks.

Whaat 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago

Ad Machine 
Robot

PreviousNext

Return to Plugins