Another work in progress

To access this forum when logged in, please, sign up to the Woodworking User Group in your User Control Panel.

Another work in progress

Postby davidheim1 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 4:39 pm

smilow lounge chair copy.png
This one is a Midcentury Modern lounge chair and ottoman. Mel Smilow, a designer who sold his work through a half-dozen furniture stores that he owned, created the original in 1956. The frame is walnut; the webbing, dark leather.
In the model, the webbing isn't actually woven. I traced the contours of the seat area, used those edges to loft a face, copied the face and moved it up a smidge, then connected the two faces and made them a single component. Then I laid out the line pattern to create the illusion of woven leather.
I'll follow the same procedure to make the webbing on the chair, which will take some time. But stay tuned.
Best,
dh

davidheim1 

Re: Another work in progress

Postby tuna1957 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:40 pm

Very nice. I like :thumb: :thumb:

tuna1957 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby pbacot » Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:51 pm

Looks great! What do you mean by "laid out the line pattern". You drew edges over the component or over the face? It may not be woven but has holes?
MacOSX Mojave High Sierra SketchUp Pro v19 Twilight v2 Thea v2 PowerCADD
pbacot 
Top SketchUcator

Postby davidheim1 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:46 pm

I laid out the criss-cross pattern of lines on the face of the component. Where there should be space between the pieces of webbing, I push/pulled a hole.

davidheim1 

Postby utiler » Mon Jun 08, 2020 12:37 am

Nice work, Dave! Be good to see the mesh and how you did it... :thumb:
purpose/expression/purpose/....
utiler 
Top SketchUcator

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago

Ad Machine 
Robot

Return to Woodworking