SketchUp 2016 is here....

General discussion related to SketchUp Pro and Make

Re: SketchUp 2016 is here....

Postby jason_maranto » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:05 am

LOL :puke:
I create video tutorial series about several 2D & 3D graphics programs.
jason_maranto 

Postby Rich O Brien » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:07 am

jason_maranto wrote:LOL :puke:

:lol:
There's a frontroom and a backroom....reverse faces
Rich O Brien 
Administrator

Postby derei » Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:34 am

As I remember there was a HUGE list with SketchUp 2016 Wishes; Even I wrote some in there... And the first thing that crossed my mind when I saw the new cool features was "oh my, really? So many people wanted Layout Dialogs and extra inferencing instead of really useful features?" - I mean, I really couldn't believe that Trimble would ignore so big time THE SKETCHUP FORUM (a.k.a SketchUcation), ok...they built theirs(forum)... not sketchucation, but sketchup. And they have their own Extensions Warehouse, not Extension Store... but come on, who is using sketchup?

I had a big rant when they took over and the first thing they did was to CHANGE THE ICON - wow, such feature. No, it wasn't a "feature", it was a way of saying "is ours, this is our mark". Then was the price increase that happened really recently. Again "we spent money in acquiring SketchUp, we have to recover them, so we raise the price" - good marketing technique!

And now, the mighty SU2016 - following the Wishlist NOT. As a matter of fact, the contributors to all the wishlists until now are sketchup users with cumulated years of SketchUp experience more than Trimble will EVER have (unless they have a secret recipe to last like Roman Empire).

So enough with ranting... let me judge some facts:

1. they already had all the inferencing code - how difficult was to add some new inferencing rules to that? I believe not "that difficult". Experts welcome to comment :mrgreen:
  2. the "Layout Style" dialogs code was there too (in Layout source code) - how difficult might that have been to be translated into SketchUp? I bet it took them about a week of hard work (one person, between coffees and other breaks).
  3. Even my sister which doesn't even know to draw a square in Sketchup can come with a folder with textures and to copy it in Materials Folder in Sketchup. - genius

Let me not be completely mean... they spent some time to add some improvements to Layout... for those who actually use Layout. And the improvements are not even so great.
I bet they completely left untouched all text-related bugs and issues that were driving everybody crazy and there were several more things that made any Layout user to want to smash their computer in mid-project.

:thumbd:
So: 25%+ in licensing costs, some inferencing tools, some dialogs that were ok as they were, some textures (cgtextures.com, i don't need yours) and completely ignoring the real issues. Does it sound like Corporation? ah, i forgot: extra trouble for plugin developers. As there wasn't already a bunch of great people giving their time to offer lots of great things for free, make it harder for them, Trimble... make them pay for their generosity, if possible.

What's wrong with this world, guys?
DESIGNER AND ARTIST DEREI.UK
derei 

Postby RogerB » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:52 am

What's wrong with this world, guys?

Once you realize we are living on a farm, being farmed, and understand the farmer do not have the same interests as his livestock has, things make a whole lot more sense.
And making better decisions will be much easier.

RogerB 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby kaas » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:15 pm

JQL wrote:
kaas wrote:you can leave the Outliner open when running ruby scripts. Up to v2015 that could make your ruby go very slow.

It still runs much slower... Where did you find differences?...

I just tested it again with a custom plugin and opening or closing the outliner doesn't make a difference in V16. It does run a lot faster in V16 though. Must be something in my crappy code thats bugging less in v16.

I also tested it with another plugin that creates a lot of geometry as well: TIG's extrude tools - loft. The results in v15 and v16 are about the same and closing the outliner in v16 almost takes half the time.

So my initial remark seems to be wrong: it still can take extra time if the outliner is not closed before starting a ruby plugin. Too bad it still hasn't been fixed :-(

kaas 

Postby hris » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:28 pm

Sorry guys from Trimble - THIS IS NEW VERSION ??? 2016??? It's a small SERVICE PACK - not a UPDATE!!!
No new tools for modelling, no new features from wishlist...are you listening users or no??? My company has 8 licenses with subscription - why we paid for this? It was unnecesary to pay subscription because it's a joke..Sorry guys - 4 last years are lost for SKetchup :(
Only free plugins from Sketchucation forum are saving this software from dead - but funcionality and amazing new features should be done by Trimble team - not by users for free. SKetchup community is great and still growing - this is amazing FEATURE. Software development has been slowed down 4 years ago.
This is my opinion.
Chris

hris 

Postby JQL » Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:06 pm

There was one major thing that made all the difference for people using complex stuff and rendering... 64-bit...

That soothed a lot of criticism but since then all seems to be about sketchup plugins: creating the right enviroment for plugin developers to specialize sketchup.

Quite frankly I can understand why. Sketchup is used by too many people with too many scopes.

What the trimble folks could do is, keep doing that as a side task but select from the stuff all people are needing, no matter what they're doing, and develop that way.

Things that have been suggested here and have been on wishlists forever seem to be pointing there, however and unfortunatelly, it seems those things are being regarded by trimble as utopic.

Sincerelly, the problem is that Sketchup simply works and even if it could be way better than it is, it is still fit for everyone.

Trimble are certainly aware of that.
JQL 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby rv1974 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:20 pm

The new 'feature' Default Tray wasn't so smart decision. It steals tons of display area being pinned;
and being on Autohide mode it doesn't show the windows I demand via shortcuts (say Cnrl+1 for Entity Info) I have to digg in with the cursor. And finally there's no option to drag this damn tray to the 2nd monitor :twisted:

rv1974 

Postby kaas » Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:52 pm

rv1974 wrote:The new 'feature' Default Tray wasn't so smart decision. It steals tons of display area being pinned;
and being on Autohide mode it doesn't show the windows I demand via shortcuts (say Cnrl+1 for Entity Info) I have to digg in with the cursor. And finally there's no option to drag this damn tray to the 2nd monitor

I agree I prefer the old trays/panels on windows way better. The one thing that had to be fixed was the Outliner - having that one open could make your ruby plugins twice as slow.

You should be able to drag the tray to the second monitor though.

kaas 

Postby sketchuh » Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:45 pm

i always think the strength of sketchup is it's simplicity and the weakeness of sketchup is it's simplicity. I always hate it and love it at the same time.

until there is SERIOUS competition from another new and similar software, Sketchup will always bring NO real updates to people who are screaming the loudest in the wishlist topic.

Do you guys think is it possible any company would develop a software that is more like a hybrid of sketchup/3ds max and or modo or etc...

I really want a software that is easy to use like sketchup but has all the traditional 3d software functionality.

again, I don't think Sketchup has real competitions out there. 3ds vs maya? apple vs microsfot? xbox vs ps,... Sketchup vs who??? I should stop here.

sketchuh 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby JQL » Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:18 pm

I guess it's sketchup VS everything else! :)
JQL 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby holmes » Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:23 pm

Please tell me I'm missing something positive...

I don't see any mention of network licensing - is it still as broken as it was on release with v2015 ?!

And it seems it's even more restricted in v2016 - this from our licence e-mail, confirming same as earlier poster:

Single user licence - once your 2016 licence is authorised, your 2015 licence will not be able to be installed on any new computers (but will continue to run as an existing installation).
Network licence - Authorising your new 2016 licence on a single machine starts a 60 day countdown, after which 2015 will be disabled on all machines. If you wish to test version 2016, it is highly recommended you use the trial version to do so.
We cannot reactivate a 2015 licence once it becomes inactive after the 60 day period.

Seriously?!

holmes 

Postby ken » Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:12 pm

Installded 2016. Now trying to get plugins to work.

One thing I have noticed is the icons for the tool bars are larger. (Yes I have it set not to display "large icons". This sure messes up my screen layout.

Finding some plugins not working, like Matt 666 "Toggle Units". Darn.

Ken
Fight like your the third monkey on Noah's Ark gangway.
ken 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby sfto1 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:14 pm

Boy this is tough. I want to be excited about this version, but....

It's like having a bad holiday meal at your Mom's house. You do not want to tell your Mom she cooked a stinker. You don't want her mad or embarrassed. You don't want to get scolded by your siblings for telling the truth that most everyone is thinking. You shudder at the notion your friends will think you are a jerk for saying something. But, this has been happening for the past several holidays. Somebody has to tell Mom, right? Hey Mom, you have done better and I was really looking forward to your legendary cooking. I mean you spent a lot of money and time on it, but this meal was not good at all. Then comes the other truth that you don't want to admit. Your Mom has been losing her hearing. :cry:

How was the holiday meal?

You answer :thumbd: and run for cover.
sfto1 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby solo » Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:31 pm

sfto1 wrote:Boy this is tough. I want to be excited about this version, but....

It's like having a bad holiday meal at your Mom's house. You do not want to tell your Mom she cooked a stinker. You don't want her mad or embarrassed. You don't want to get scolded by your siblings for telling the truth that most everyone is thinking. You shudder at the notion your friends will think you are a jerk for saying something. But, this has been happening for the past several holidays. Somebody has to tell Mom, right? Hey Mom, you have done better and I was really looking forward to your legendary cooking. I mean you spent a lot of money and time on it, but this meal was not good at all. Then comes the other truth that you don't want to admit. Your Mom has been losing her hearing. :cry:

How was the holiday meal?

You answer :thumbd: and run for cover.

Hmm, dunno if this analogy works, Has your mum's cooking gotten worse? or are you just not happy that she is not cooking the Thanksgiving dinner the way Martha Stewart would? The way I see it the Turkey is cooked the same traditional way as it always has, and being the showcase of the table i would not want it to ever change, now there are some that asked for Sweet potato casserole with melted marshmallows on top but did not get it instead a slightly improved normal sweet potato side.
We did get an improved presentation, lets call it the table decoration and we got a better stuffing, this time it was cooked separately as a side so it's not as soggy as traditional stuffing.
Then you have the other part of the day (layout) before it was passing out on the couch watching your football team lose, this year you get to pass out on a comfy lazyboy and your football team actually winning (unless you are a Dallas cowboy fan).
http://www.solos-art.com

I'm better with polys than words
solo 
Global Moderator

Postby andybot » Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:56 pm

holmes wrote:And it seems it's even more restricted in v2016 - this from our licence e-mail, confirming same as earlier poster:

Single user licence - once your 2016 licence is authorised, your 2015 licence will not be able to be installed on any new computers (but will continue to run as an existing installation).

Seriously?!

Hmm, guess I'll have to try 2016 on a secondary computer just as a trial. Not liking the sound of the toolbars getting bigger.

Wonder if there's any limit to how long you have before "upgrading" to 2016. I'd like to wait until the plugins are generally up to speed before messing with the update.

Wow Pete, your analogy stretched around my screen several times :lol:
my blog featuring recent projects
andybot 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby solo » Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:01 pm

The tool bars are not bigger see image, top is new 2016 toolbars and lower are the 2014 toolbars

solo 
Global Moderator

Postby ken » Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:07 pm

solo wrote:The tool bars are not bigger see image, top is new 2016 toolbars and lower are the 2014 toolbars

Solo they are larger on my computer.
ken 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Box » Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:10 pm

Ken wrote:
solo wrote:The tool bars are not bigger see image, top is new 2016 toolbars and lower are the 2014 toolbars

Have you tried to Untick "Use Large tool buttons" In Window/Preferences/Workspace
Box 

Postby solo » Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:15 pm

Ken wrote:

I'm using Win 7, so not sure about win 10

solo 
Global Moderator

Postby Box » Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:21 pm

Nor on win 10
Box 

Postby Pixero » Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:24 pm

solo wrote:I'm using Win 7, so not sure about win 10

Off topic, but I think you wrote somewhere quite a while ago that you had installed Windows 10 beta.
Have you downgraded again or do I remember wrong?
If so, why?
Pixero 

Postby solo » Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:32 pm

Pixero wrote:
solo wrote:I'm using Win 7, so not sure about win 10

Off topic, but I think you wrote somewhere quite a while ago that you had installed Windows 10 beta.
Have you downgraded again or do I remember wrong?
If so, why?

I have Win 10 on other machines, my main rig is win 7.

solo 
Global Moderator

Postby sfto1 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:41 pm

I'm disappointed that after years of maintenance and upgrade fees, there are no native tools for parametric modeling (like profile builder 2) or interior lighting options. Having the ability to use third party plugins is great, but having to pay upgrade fees and not have increased modeling options is a bit of a stinker.
sfto1 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby jason_maranto » Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:57 pm

The "technology:meal" analogies miss the mark because food doesn't really change. Technology however does change, these days at a frighteningly frantic pace. Yet SketchUp doesn't... watching the development is almost like watching moss grow on a rock.

The writing has been on the wall for several years regarding the slow strangling of a once promising package -- but I guess some are happy to "go down with the ship".... or "fade away into obscurity together".

For myself, I don't have money to waste on a software that is not keeping pace with technological developement (or the third-party ecosystem artificially propping it up). I do find it hilarious that they (Trimble) expect users to buy the updates, sight unseen, via continous subscription... plenty of suckers out there I guess.

I have to laugh at the blatent display of a startling combination of greed, ineptitude and lack of vision/leadership. Under normal circumstances I might expect them to be ashamed of themselves... but I learned a while ago they have absolutely no shame.
I create video tutorial series about several 2D & 3D graphics programs.
jason_maranto 

Postby ken » Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:46 pm

Here are a set of images from 2015 and 2016.

Computer Windows 7 professional. Company computer, can't change operating system.

Note also, I use PicPick as image capture and when I moved a toolbar icon to the drawing area in verision 2016, I could capture an image of the toolbar's icon, however, in 2015 I had to move the toolbar off the drawing screen to make a capture, as they disappear in 2015 unless they are off the drawing area. Both captured images where to the left side of the drawing window.

Ken
ken 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby solo » Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:07 pm

Looks like the spacing between icons is larger in the vertical toolbars

solo 
Global Moderator

Postby ken » Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:41 pm

solo wrote:Looks like the spacing between icons is larger in the vertical toolbars

Everything is bigger, I could get the pixal sizes, but I can work with it. Just means, I have to learn another toolbar setup.

My big concern now is all the plugins that are appearing. But, heck I will deal with that also.

Ken
ken 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby derei » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:29 pm

JQL wrote:There was one major thing that made all the difference for people using complex stuff and rendering... 64-bit...

That soothed a lot of criticism but since then all seems to be about sketchup plugins: creating the right enviroment for plugin developers to specialize sketchup.

Quite frankly I can understand why. Sketchup is used by too many people with too many scopes.

What the trimble folks could do is, keep doing that as a side task but select from the stuff all people are needing, no matter what they're doing, and develop that way.

Things that have been suggested here and have been on wishlists forever seem to be pointing there, however and unfortunatelly, it seems those things are being regarded by trimble as utopic.

Sincerelly, the problem is that Sketchup simply works and even if it could be way better than it is, it is still fit for everyone.

Trimble are certainly aware of that.

If I understand correctly what you want to say, is that "Trimble knows best and we should relax and trust the Master".
If is that, I have to disagree. Trimble knows s#it. They only know their pocket. So, why to pay developers to improve sketchup when they can use them in other projects where more money come? And just to have reasons to push a new license, to ask for new money, they just added quickly some changes... which I hardly suspect it took all maybe around one month with testing/debugging and fee weekends. But yey, one week work and some $$$$$ in their account.

How things SHOULD be, would be COMMON SENSE. Yes, I agree that everyone asks for their own scope... and apparently isn't a common request. But in reality there is. Just need to look for it.
Other platforms and websites (weebly) have a very nice system: you can post a number of requests. And you also have a limited number of votes which you can use to vote for other requests. And in time, some of the requests will start to rise above, to reveal the true needs. Is so simple...

I strongly believe that everyone who paid a subscription for this new version should make a claim for refund, because this is really NOT a new version. As it was said earlier in this topic, is merely a Service Pack, a Maintenance version. Which normally would be a free update.
DESIGNER AND ARTIST DEREI.UK
derei 

Postby pbacot » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:52 pm

I didn't think you paid for a version, but subscribed to updates and maintenance for the year.

I don't think people deserve input into a product. Nice when it happens. We can just go elsewhere. On the other hand it doesn't take special interests or particular input to know what needs doing in SketchUp ; like ability to handle weightier models, better rendering (just something like Visualizer integrated--not full rendering). That is, graphic, UI, and performance improvements, which are not use-specific.
MacOSX Mojave ShetchUp Pro v19 Twilight Pro v2 M2 Kerkythea PowerCADD
pbacot 
Top SketchUcator

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago

Ad Machine 
Robot

PreviousNext

Return to SketchUp Pro & Make Discussions