General discussion related to SketchUp. No off topic threads please.
So much for a chat... one has to wait about 5 minutes between each post...
Now I have to wait 8 minutes...
Some SketchUp significant priority wishes off the top of my head...
1) make Layout dimension precision options match SketchUp's precision capabilities; layout looks like a very helpful application but it's not nearly as useful when it can't dimension with the same units and number of decimal places as our SketchUp models -- needs to at least do hundreths of a millimeter and thousandths of an inch, but would be best to simply match SketchUp's capabilities.
2) make the plane tools also respond to the arrow keys by forcing the plane orientation (because the point and line tools respond, I see new users [and myself] intuitively expected similar behavior from the plane tools -- and it would be very helpful!
3) make the plane tools capable of quick compound angle alignment similar to the protractor tool by holding down the left mouse button. When it was pointed out to me that the protractor can do this, I can see how it would be very helpful (and make for intuitive consistency) if all the native plane tools responded like that.
4) fix the errors in and clarify the documentation - especially for lowering frustrations of new users.
5) provide a couple of ways that the user can quickly kick or influence the inference engine to look for another inference or a specific inference in the same view vacinity - because it's really frustrating when a user (especially a newbie) frequently needs to zoom in very close or turn off a bunch of geometry just to get the engine to make the desired selection.
5a) some kind of selection filter influence for the selection tool could also be useful - sometimes (often) it's a royal pain to get a construction point selected by itself among a bunch of other geometry.
I got distracted by the drying paint on my wall, far more interesting.
Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.
I think they prefer to use the Reddit site - keeping the whole discussion in one place.
I was hoping chat on the future of SU ala Trimble. A few hints anyway. It's sort of the usual wish list and the usual answers...
But cool of the SU team to do this. Hope more of this comes along.
Neat to see various greats like Daniel Tal chime in.
Right now my brain blanked out. I'm sure there's tons of things I'd think of when the chat ends...
Cool idea, I hope they do it again. Unfortunate that the format is causing so many issues.
Hardware: Intel i7 980x 3.33 Ghz 6-Core Processor
nVidia Quadro FX 3700 512Mb, 18.0 G RAM
Software: Maxwell 2.5, SketchUp 8, 3ds Max 2011, Vray, Adobe CS5, AutoCAD 2007, Windows 7 64-bit
Very hard to follow the conversation eventually. No good way to spotting new posts.
There must be better ways to 'chat' than that - it was pants...
Not being able to post for another 8 minutes after making a brief comment is tooooo much...
There were some interesting posts but they were all subsumed in a quagmire of dross...
Remeber when we last had that big pow wow
I found it interesting enough. Not the nicest thing look at but then I'm acclimatized to this place too much
I'm a Trimbler now!
Seemed to be for the first handful of comments. Maybe new users..?
I could eventually spam as much as I do here...
A bit late to the party, but that viewer looks awfully like a stripped down version of Sketchup running in the browser.
Could it be this is a preview of an official full version of Sketchup in the browser? ...that would be neat!!
"There is a man in the world who will never be turned down... he is the man who delivers the goods."
A browser viewer via the newest Flash plugin
Wow, that's slick!
The Viewer was developed by the SketchUp team. It is not off the shelf technology. As ThomThom correctly points out, it is WebGL based. This technology is still pretty green, but holds great promise.
I see the Trimble logo is appearing on some of the pages now:
It's so funny how that page gives a bit of a twisted view on plugins, especially on the photorealistic rendering.
Just putting in an alphabetic list isn't the way to go..
I mean: Arielvision? Caravagio Render? lol ... They look like ray tracers of the nineties .
When a Sketchup user is noob to rendering, they will get all lost in that list.