Open GL Issues in SketchUp 8

General discussion related to SketchUp Pro and Make

Open GL Issues in SketchUp 8

Postby arjunmax09 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:35 pm

I have Google SketchUp 8 Pro. I'm having problems with when it comes to Open GL settings. If I enable fast feedback, Sketchup performance slows down. If I enable hardware acceleration, SketchUp performance gets normal but sometimes when selecting faces..the purple dotted hatch doesn't show up. What should I do??
when you fail at something....you haven't really failed...you've found one way the thing will not work out

arjunmax09 
Banned

Re: Open GL Issues in SketchUp 8

Postby honoluludesktop » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:45 pm

Update your graphics driver. If for some reason you can't, you are out of luck, and must leave the OpenGL settings off.
honoluludesktop 
In Remembrance

Postby jbacus » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:02 pm

arjunmax09 wrote: If I enable hardware acceleration, SketchUp performance gets normal but sometimes when selecting faces..the purple dotted hatch doesn't show up. What should I do??

This is a common problem that comes from an incomplete implementation of OpenGL in the driver for a video card. It isn't likely to be caused by something that was introduced in SU8... did you recently upgrade your video card or install a new driver?

john
"...exaggerate the essential and leave the obvious unclear." --Vincent Van Gogh
--
John Bacus
jbacus@sketchup.com
jbacus 
SketchUp Team
SketchUp Team

Postby honoluludesktop » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:21 pm

Hi John, Doesn't v8 use a more advanced version of OpenGl then v7? That too may be the cause of his problem. Happen to me on my home machine that was setup with the onboard adapter. No problem at the office. The office system was equipped with a high end card.
honoluludesktop 
In Remembrance

Postby mac1 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:55 pm

Check this site http://www.realtech-vr.com/glview/ They have a program that will audit your machine and tell you what version plus much more about open gl on your machine

mac1 
Top SketchUcator

Postby charly2008 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:38 pm

Hi,

an interesting tool that provides a lot of data. Unfortunately, I can interpret not much of it. But at least I see that OpenGL is supported in version 3.3 by my system.

Charly
He who makes no mistakes, makes nothing
charly2008 

Postby jbacus » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:38 pm

honoluludesktop wrote:Hi John, Doesn't v8 use a more advanced version of OpenGl then v7?

We made changes to our rendering pipeline in SU7.1, but not in SU8. In past experience with this specific issue (stipple patterns not displaying properly for selected faces) it is almost always an issue with incomplete implementation of "glPolygonStipple" in the video driver. I could be wrong, but it certainly worth checking the most likely culprit first.

john
--
John Bacus
jbacus@sketchup.com
jbacus 
SketchUp Team
SketchUp Team

Postby arjunmax09 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:56 pm

jbacus wrote:This is a common problem that comes from an incomplete implementation of OpenGL in the driver for a video card. It isn't likely to be caused by something that was introduced in SU8... did you recently upgrade your video card or install a new driver?.

I didn't upgrade my video card, neither did I installed a new driver. I don't have such issues in SketchUp 7.
when you fail at something....you haven't really failed...you've found one way the thing will not work out

arjunmax09 
Banned

Postby honoluludesktop » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:09 pm

Removed duplicated content, sorry.
Last edited by honoluludesktop on Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
honoluludesktop 
In Remembrance

Postby jbacus » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:35 pm

arjunmax09 wrote:I don't have such issues in SketchUp 7.

Did you install SketchUp 7.1? Or are you upgrading from 7.0 -> 8.0?

SketchUp 7.1 included an entirely new rendering engine, which may well have introduced new demands on your video hardware/driver.

john
--
John Bacus
jbacus@sketchup.com
jbacus 
SketchUp Team
SketchUp Team

Postby arjunmax09 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:15 pm

jbacus wrote:Did you install SketchUp 7.1? Or are you upgrading from 7.0 -> 8.0?
SketchUp 7.1 included an entirely new rendering engine, which may well have introduced new demands on your video hardware/driver.

I had earlier 7 then I installed 7.1. After formatting my pc in March, I installed 7. Currently I have both 7.0 and 8.0. But both 7 and 7.1 worked fine and didn't have any such open GL issues.

arjunmax09 
Banned

Postby Gaieus » Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:52 pm

After formatting your PC did you install the driver that comes with the video card on a CD in the box? If yes, update your driver. Those box drivers are sometimes several years old!
Gaieus 

Postby arjunmax09 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:36 pm

Gaieus wrote:After formatting your PC did you install the driver that comes with the video card on a CD in the box? If yes, update your driver. Those box drivers are sometimes several years old!

yes I did update..but the problem is still there. Am I the only one who's facing this problem...inspite of updating my drivers?? Is there any option beyond disabling Open GL in SketchUp 8?? Why there's no such issue in version 7 :roll:

arjunmax09 
Banned

Postby jbacus » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:30 pm

arjunmax09 wrote:Am I the only one who's facing this problem...inspite of updating my drivers?? Is there any option beyond disabling Open GL in SketchUp 8?? Why there's no such issue in version 7 :roll:

We made changes to our rendering pipeline in SU7.1, but not in SU8. It would make sense that you might see differences on the same hardware/driver version between SU7-SU7.1 or between SU7-SU8. It is puzzling that you are seeing differences between SU7.1-SU8

Unfortunately, it sometimes happens that 'newer' driver versions aren't actually 'better'. Sometimes new bugs or implementation omissions creep in. You might want to try rolling your driver back a version to see if that helps.

john
--
John Bacus
jbacus@sketchup.com
jbacus 
SketchUp Team
SketchUp Team

Postby honoluludesktop » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:39 am

You are not alone. When I went from 7 to 7.1, my home system failed to utilize the OpenGl spec. Because my home graphics adapter was an older model, the manufacturer did not provide a driver upgrade. However, my work system continued to function with our problems into v8. What graphic adapter are you using? If you are unwilling to turn OpenGl off, you should consider a upgrade to a newer card. It doesn't have to be the best, only compatible with SU. Or you can continue to use the older Sketchup version that works with OpenGl.
honoluludesktop 
In Remembrance

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago

Ad Machine 
Robot

Return to SketchUp Pro & Make Discussions