The "Duh!" thread (aka the Doh! thread)

General discussion related to SketchUp Pro and Make

Re: The "Duh!" thread

Postby pilou » Wed May 13, 2009 4:36 pm

Not a recent but a famous! :mrgreen:
The "after effect" :roll:

Quasi all function in SU can be modify just after used it! :o
Draw any line (circle... etc) in the good direction then type on the numeric keyboard measure wanted...
...and... miracle! :mrgreen:
This is valuable for quasi all functions Move, Scale etc... :ugeek:
Frenchy Pilou
Is beautiful that please without concept!
Speedy Galerie
pilou 
Top SketchUcator

Postby Tobobo » Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:25 pm

I've been using SU since V1 and the biggest du'h was when Coen said ‘if you want to delete loads around a set of geometry that you want to keep the use the +/- option on the select tool and this deselects the geometry you want and selects the stuff you want to delete.’ Which was on the @last forums so V5 :oops:
Toby

Philippians 4:13

I can do everything through him who gives me strength.
Tobobo 

Postby Gaieus » Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:02 pm

Indeed different (and endless numbers of) selection tricks is a kind of "art" which can sped up one's modelling workflow big time.
Gaieus 

Postby thomthom » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:13 am

Thomas Thomassen — SketchUp Monkey & Coding addict
List of my plugins and link to the CookieWare fund
thomthom 
PluginStore Author
PluginStore Author

Postby arklandesign » Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:05 pm

hehe .....This is a funny and informative thread at the same time...

I have one... discovered by mistake yesterday.
If one is in a complicated model and want to focus attention to a particular part of the model, one can double click on the scroll wheel at the point one is interested in and that will centre that point in the middle of the screen....making orbiting even easier.

arklandesign 
Premium Member
Premium Member

Postby Gaieus » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:04 pm

Doh... :?

I didn't know that.

But at least now I understand why my models "jump" from time to time - I obviously (accidentally) double click with my mouse. :oops:
Gaieus 

Postby pilou » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:57 pm

one can double click on the scroll wheel

Tricky! :enlight:
Maybe there is another thing wiht the triple click on the Wheel! :o
Frenchy Pilou
Speedy Galerie
pilou 
Top SketchUcator

Postby plot-paris » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:03 pm

Gaieus wrote:But at least now I understand why my models "jump" from time to time - I obviously (accidentally) double click with my mouse. :oops:

now it makes sense at last... its me, not a buggy SketchUp :oops:

another one: I am currently working on a fairly complex model. lots of nested groups...
I was somewhere deep down on the hierarchy, modeling on some walls, when suddenly all newly created geometry turned transparent. when I painted another colour to the faces, they ceased being transparent.
I checked the default material in the styles editor... you can't even set a transparency value there.
I closed SketchUp and reopened it. still the same.
I copied the whole model into a new SketchUp file. yet again: all newly created geometry turned transparent...

... and then it hit me... at some point while modelling and texturing, I must have accidentally painted over the parent-group with a glass material. most of the geometry within this group was supposed to be a stone wall, therefore a texture applied directly to the geometry. when I now created some new faces, these were coloured with the default material of course... but the transparent glass material on the group overwrote it...

how can someone be soooo slow, it took me almost 15 minutes to find out. I had to hit the Homer button twice!!! :oops:
plot-paris 

Postby broomstick » Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:39 pm

my duh moment:

when you rotate something, and you touch the rotation tool that appears on screen, the rotation will snap on the simbols of the rotation tool.

If you change the rotation snaps, the rotation tool changes consequently.

very, very duh
broomstick 

Postby Gruff » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:15 pm

More of an Ahh! than a Duh!
1) Discovered that ALT-Push/Pull will move a loose planar face in the face normal

I find I need to create duplicate parallel faces offset from the body a lot.

2) To do this I use CTRL-Push/Pull to make a copy extrude.
Rotate the model view 90 degrees to the face normal
then use a right to left select window to select the extruded side faces,
then press the Delete key.

I'm left with a face normal to and inline with the original at a distance.
Resistance is .... Character Forming. *Grin*

Gruff 

Postby Ecuadorian » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:22 pm

Gruff wrote:Discovered that ALT-Push/Pull will move a loose planar face in the face normal

Thank you! I had been foolishly using the "move" tool for that. :thumb:

Ecuadorian 

Postby plot-paris » Mon Oct 12, 2009 10:02 am

wow, cool. didn't know about that eihter. but what I would even more like to see is a push/pull :pushpull: like this:
strange_pushpull.jpg
plot-paris 

Postby Ecuadorian » Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:31 pm

+1. That would be my #1 wish for SU8.

Ecuadorian 

Postby pilou » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:46 pm

but what I would even more like to see is a push/pull

Not really and exactly the same and a push pull but the Plug Protrude make this at each click ;)
Of course you can change Height and Taper at any moment :)
Frenchy Pilou
Speedy Galerie
pilou 
Top SketchUcator

Postby halroach » Mon Oct 12, 2009 5:40 pm

solo wrote:Now that you mention that, I have an embarrasing one for you, my kid who was 11 at the time of me teaching him the ins and outs of SU when one day I was teaching him how to map textures to a sphere and I asked him to get an image of the earth to map from our server texture folder, he opened up the folder on the second monitor and dragged it onto the sphere, I exclaimed 'What on earth are you doing" and before I could complete my setence with the all to fimiliar 'you dumbass' the texture was mapped onto the sphere, sure it was not UV mapped correctly but I had not known that was possible. Being a wise-ass he replied "like every karate movie, the studend with enough practice becomes the master"
I had to create another cartoon character that day to show him who's boss.

Huh?
When I drag images into a model, they come in as pictures, which I can place and explode if I want them to be used as textures. Do they automatically come in as textures for you?!?!?
halroach 

Postby Gruff » Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:26 am

plot-paris wrote:wow, cool. didn't know about that eihter. but what I would even more like to see is a push/pull :pushpull: like this:
strange_pushpull.jpg

Similar to that I'd like to see some way of locking the move tool do the same thing to an edge of a face. Allow the face to only stretch normal to the side of the line. Say you had a square face 6"x8"
Grab on one of the 8" lines and pull out making it 12" x 8".

Basically I need the face to larger than the original facet.

Gruff 

Postby plot-paris » Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:56 am

another one, only outside SketchUp...

did you ever try to explode a folder somewhere to copy it's content to the next higher folder?
I have a shortcut applied to exploding in SkechUp. and I hit it repeatedly, wondering, why the folder was still there.

actually, that would be a great thing to implement in an operating system: selecting a folder and exploding it, being left with the files within all selected. or the other way around, grouping things (select several files and hit the 'group shortcut' to put them into a new folder...
plot-paris 

Postby kwistenbiebel » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:55 am

plot-paris wrote:another one, only outside SketchUp...

did you ever try to explode a folder somewhere to copy it's content to the next higher folder?
I have a shortcut applied to exploding in SkechUp. and I hit it repeatedly, wondering, why the folder was still there.

actually, that would be a great thing to implement in an operating system: selecting a folder and exploding it, being left with the files within all selected. or the other way around, grouping things (select several files and hit the 'group shortcut' to put them into a new folder...

Yeah :)
SketchupOS 1.0 !

kwistenbiebel 

Postby MartinRinehart » Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:01 pm

arail1 wrote:My Spacebar doesn't deselect - disappointed.

There are glitches, here. On a PC for example, Move tool selected, press spacebar. You are still looking at a Move cursor, but the least mouse movement corrects the cursor.
Author, Edges to Rubies - The Complete SketchUp Tutorial at http://www.MartinRinehart.com/models/tutorial.

MartinRinehart 

Postby Gruff » Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:36 pm

One more Duh!

When viewing a model in XRay mode.

If you hold down shift whilst using the 2D drawing tools the new 2D geometry is forced onto the nearest face (closest to your eye.). Even snap points to (Behind) geometry is projected to the nearest face.

The sort of meets my needs for construction planes that I am comfortable using in other solid modelers.

The only painful part of it is that you have to continuously hold down the shift key. It would be nice if Caps lock toggled the feature.

Gruff 

Postby plot-paris » Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:32 am

Gruff wrote:The only painful part of it is that you have to continuously hold down the shift key. It would be nice if Caps lock toggled the feature.

true, some sort of permanently locking a movement direction would be awesome at times (appart from locking it to the three main axes via the arrow keys)...
plot-paris 

Postby ~GoldenFrog®~ » Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:30 am

My DUH moment was when i realised there was an arc tool. Needles to say, that was my first day using SU. Hehe...My other one was when i learned about the follow me tool. Great DUH there! But, I've greatly improved since then :enlight:
Remember, great minds think alike, and fools never differ.

~GoldenFrog®~ 

Postby xrok1 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:45 am

plot-paris wrote:
Gruff wrote:The only painful part of it is that you have to continuously hold down the shift key. It would be nice if Caps lock toggled the feature.

true, some sort of permanently locking a movement direction would be awesome at times (appart from locking it to the three main axes via the arrow keys)...

Wish granted! :roflmao:
Capture.JPG

my duh moment just happened, i forgot to attached the jpg to this post the first time. :roflmao:
“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.”

http://www.Twilightrender.com try it!

xrok1 

Postby Gruff » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:25 pm

[quote="xrok1Wish granted! :roflmao:
Capture.JPG
[/quote]
I do not see that dialog anywhere in my 7.1 std SketchUp.
Is that a Pro feature?

Gruff 

Re: The "Duh!" thread (aka the Doh! thread)

Postby pilou » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:57 am

Wanted to now all plugs by Tig :enlight:
Just today thinking to use the search Advanced engine :oops:
[PLUGIN] + TIG + Title ONLY + Ruby Discussion :thumb:
= 3 pages of true gem ! Something like 75 brains storming :o ;)
Of course you can make that for any other Ruby Gurus: TBD, Fredo6, Chris Fullmer, Didier Bur, Jim Foltz, Thomthom, Matt666, Whaat, Wikii, Gohch, CPhillips, Kyrill2008, Morisdov, AdamB, Todd Burch, Rick Wilson... sorry for the forgotten :oops:
I must find an another tricky method for find all Gurus ;)
(and will be added at the list as soon as) :!:
Last edited by pilou on Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Frenchy Pilou
Speedy Galerie
pilou 
Top SketchUcator

Postby Ecuadorian » Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:22 am

Gruff wrote:I do not see that dialog anywhere in my 7.1 std SketchUp.
Is that a Pro feature?

You set up that in Windows, not in SketchUp, in "Accesibility" options in the Control Panel of XP. But I'm not sure about its usefulness in SU.

Ecuadorian 

Postby xrok1 » Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:51 am

Ecuadorian wrote:
Gruff wrote:I do not see that dialog anywhere in my 7.1 std SketchUp.
Is that a Pro feature?

You set up that in Windows, not in SketchUp, in "Accesibility" options in the Control Panel of XP. But I'm not sure about its usefulness in SU.

you can lock the shift key for inferencing, which is what Gruff wished for :P
“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.”

http://www.Twilightrender.com try it!

xrok1 

Postby jeff hammond » Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:30 am

Gruff wrote:When viewing a model in XRay mode.

If you hold down shift whilst using the 2D drawing tools the new 2D geometry is forced onto the nearest face (closest to your eye.). Even snap points to (Behind) geometry is projected to the nearest face.

good one!
i didn't know that
dotdotdot
jeff hammond 
Global Moderator

Postby Gruff » Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:39 am

New Duh. (Sort of)

Select a face then right mouse and select Align Axis. (Let's call it AA2F) We've all seen it but did you know that what it creates depends on how your face happens to be oriented to the screen?

In a nut shell AA2F aligns the Axis to the lower left most edge.

Draw a hexagonal face. Choose the top view and use AA2F. Rotate the view of the hexagon
reselect AA2F. Your Axis will shift position around the hexagon vertices.

This can actually be used to your advantage when dealing with a face that has different features dependent on different edges. As a case in point see the attached Guitar head where I needed to align and create features parallel to either outside edge as well as the center line of the whole thing.

Gruff 

Re: The "Duh!" thread (aka the Doh! thread)

Postby olishea » Wed Nov 04, 2009 4:37 pm

I've only just realized you can click alt/ctrl when push/pulling.......duh! :oops:
oli
olishea 
Premium Member
Premium Member

SketchUcation One-Liner Adverts

by Ad Machine » 5 minutes ago

Ad Machine 
Robot

PreviousNext

Return to SketchUp Pro & Make Discussions